WHO DAT? OH LAWD is the Latitude 64 Saint

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: WHO DAT? OH LAWD is the Latitude 64 Saint

Postby kern9787 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 am

If this is a pred in sexier plastic (opto) and can be made reliably, I'd definitely be taking a peek at these.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 am

with these new speculations abound I may be slowly switching to an all Lat64°/Westside bag.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

My turn to wildly speculate...

Based on the flight #'s, Latitude reputation, and disc dimension numbers I anticipate:

A Pred/Teebird like disc (more stable than a typical Teebird, not as stable as a typical Pred)
Significant Glide - much like the River or Flow considering the 1.9 cm dome
Longer Range than expected- this sort of piggy backs on my last point, due to the glide
A very comfortable grip - due in no small part to the rim size but also because this is something Latitude does well
Aaaaaand... A first run that will have subsequent runs that fly nothing like the first runs :lol: ... :cry: (some recent Tomas statements about lessons learned might invalidate this though)

On second glance I just noticed something I failed to mention previously. The flexibility value of the Saint compared to the Striker. It intrigues me that it is noticeably lower and I'm not sure where to even begin on how to speculate why. Softer blend of Opto? Leading Edge Radius making the Saint less structurally sound in a vertical orientation? Due to the smaller diameter of the disc? It's more flexible than the Striker, Trident, XXX, River, Vision... Weird...
Last edited by Jeronimo on Thu May 24, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I also find it very interesting that the PDGA does not openly disclose all of the measurements they require for PDGA Approval of a disc to the general public. Leading Edge Radius and Flight Plate Thickness are missing from the data charts. Those would be two very interesting numbers to see, especially since having Leading Edge Radius and Rim Configuration would tell you alot about it's profile.

Also: LOLSight-gage to check 'Leading Edge Radius". Sounds to me like their gaging sucks. Oh, and Flexibility? Come on... I GUARANTEE there are plastic blends of discs sneaking out that were previously approved at a lower flexibility value. I'd like to see how that's getting enforced...

Flexibility:

(8) Flexibility - The disc is held on its edge in a vertical position perpendicular to a scale with a precision
of at least 2 oz. (56.7 g). The upper rim of the disc is then gradually pressed down within 5 seconds. The
flexibility rating is determined at one of two points, depending on how the disc reacts to applied pressure.
For discs that buckle, the flexibility rating corresponds to the point when the maximum weight is
registered on the scale. For discs that do not buckle, the rating refers to the weight at the point when the
inside rim-to-rim distance is at 50 percent of the disc’s diameter. The temperature of the disc is to be no
higher than 25 degrees Celsius (77 F) when the test is performed. The ratings of three samples are
determined, and the median score is used as the final rating. Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of
their diameters fail the flexibility test. Manufacturers are required to send samples of the most rigid discs
they want considered for PDGA approval.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby turso » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm

doubtfully in any way as PDGA obviously measures the discs pretty shittily anyhow. And I'm guessing they're giving some leeway because of the obvious lack of consistency most manufacturers suffer from.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby kern9787 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Jeronimo wrote:A Pred/Teebird like disc (more stable than a typical Teebird, not as stable as a typical Pred)
Longer Range than expected- this sort of piggy backs on my last point, due to the glide
A very comfortable grip - due in no small part to the rim size but also because this is something Latitude does well
Aaaaaand... A first run that will have subsequent runs that fly nothing like the first runs :lol: ... :cry: (some recent Tomas statements about lessons learned might invalidate this though)

So... a CFR CPD with improved glide?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 am

kern9787 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:A Pred/Teebird like disc (more stable than a typical Teebird, not as stable as a typical Pred)

So... a CFR CPD with improved glide?
Might not be bad at all, though if the dome is huge it'll still get stopped by the wind... And seems that whenever a Latitude disc comes out flat it's leaning towards understable.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 am

Jeronimo wrote:
Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of
their diameters fail the flexibility test.
I'd like to see them bend the stiffest available Wizards that much without breaking the disc...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby turso » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 am

haha yeah. I'd be afraid of cutting myself on the shrapnel when it exploded.

turso

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 am

Exactly. But don't get me wrong, I love me some super stiff discs.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby turso » Fri May 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah no question about that, super stiffies give me the insertobviouspun

turso

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Sounds like a slowed down Boatman.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:Sounds like a slowed down Boatman.

!

Shit, that's a good point. Could be a Boatman variation.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
NoLifeLeft wrote:Sounds like a slowed down Boatman.

!

Shit, that's a good point. Could be a Boatman variation.
Wonder what the specifics of the deal between Westside and Latitude actually are... Would such a variation be possible, after all Westside owns all of their molds, unlike DM, Mill and DGA.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Sat May 26, 2012 2:28 am

jubuttib wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of
their diameters fail the flexibility test.
I'd like to see them bend the stiffest available Wizards that much without breaking the disc...

I imagine that the PDGA has exercised some common sense when it comes to the Wizards and the samples they had probably are closer to spec. It is a different matter of getting even a short range shot from a hard putter than an equally hard driver. The cutting power of the round tall edge of the Wiz ain't such a dangerous device compared to a 1.6 mm minimum thick driver leading edge. So the need for controlling harder materials in the Wiz ain't so necessary and the added cost of controlling each disc after the spec approval is impossible cost wise. Or impractical to TDs that need to bend each disc prior to approval. So far only Japanese events weigh used discs. Imagine the hassle of each event doing all tests for all specs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment