ArcheType's Bag for 2012

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

ArcheType's Bag for 2012

Postby ArcheType » Sat May 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Years playing/experience: ~2 years of DG, 1 year of Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH/RHFH about equal, some OH
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: bad left shoulder, not that it matters
Other sport proficiencies?: Football, Ultimate
Immediate and long-term goals: I'm hoping to gain some consistency and move into MA1 by the end of summer

Bag:

Putters: (anywhere 200'-270'+ depending on line and wind, 320'-330' max)
175 Medium Voodoo - Driving putter, also fh drives and approaches
175 HPP Evo Voodoo - Overstable driving putter
2 175 SSS Voodoos - putts and jump putts

Mids: ('250-310' consistent golf lines, 350' peak distance)
169 Glo Z Buzzz - flippy buzzz, nice and beat, turnovers and annys
174 Z Buzzz - straight buzzz, very underused in all honesty, considering benching.
177+ Z Buzzz - very stable, used for hyzers, also frequent fhs
174 ESP Meteor - hyzer flips, big annys, also not used too frequently, squirrelly in wind
175 Z Hornet - overstable mid, big hyzers and skips

Fairways: (280'-360' golf d, 390'+ max distance)
171 Dx Gazelle - beat, nice consistent turnovers
174 Dx Gazelle - mildly seasoned, some turn, still LSS, very straight flyer
175 Glowzelle - worn, still stable, straight with some turn in headwinds
175 Glowzelle - newer, very stable for big hyzers and fh drives
172 Opto Trident - only true overstable driver in bag, rarely used. mostly for serious winds I only run into in tournaments.
168 SPD - seasoned, straight to slight hyzer, longest disc for golf d, used more for fhs, could potentially be dropped realistically, except it is my go to thumber disc due to the smaller rim fitting well.

Drivers: (350'-400'+ golf d, somewhere around 440-450 max d)
175 Champ Archon - favorite distance disc right now, big hyzerflips in anything but a headwind
175 Z Nuke - big fh disc, straight flying, turnovers with headwinds because the Archon flips too fast, also my favorite disc to hammer/tomahawk.
136 Blizz Boss - still trying this disc out, right now very straight out to 370'-380' before fading, still beating in.
168 Star Boss - stable driver, used for headwinds that must finish left, too stable to keep straight for fhs, also for fh rollers. overall utility disc

I know I could probably drop a few of these discs, namely the Meteor, and Trident. I can't remember the last time I threw the meteor or trident honestly, but I know they were in tournament rounds and because of that I don't really want to be without them at this point. I've realized after playing so much ultimate and really progressing my fh that I have less need for anhyzers or turnovers than before, which explains why my meteor is so underused.

I'm posting this here for other ideas to simplify or potentially help my game. I know I carry a lot of molds, but I really don't reach many holes where I have to pause and consider what I'm going to throw. I know which discs hit the lines I want.
Last edited by ArcheType on Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Re: ArcheType's Bag for 2012

Postby JR » Sun May 27, 2012 2:00 am

Sex F means that you might be the longest throwing young female in the world so congratulations! For your age that is even better. At 450' you're surpassing probably every female on the planet at the moment on the course that is. Sure Niloofar Mosavar Rahmani has throw farther but put onto a course you may not lose anything to her. I don't think Val, Des, Anni and Paige can match your distance.

How big is your hand and how long are your fingers? The Voodoo is a hefty big chunk of plastic with very bulky dimensions. A smaller putter would make driving consistency better especially if you have unclean releases. For more overstability and a little thinner but way more ergonomic shape Jokeri would add a lot of HSS and some LSS. Jokeri is around the same distance depending on power. Anode is thinner and easier to grip than the Voodoo but still susceptible to OAT especially unclean releases and the slick inner plastic may be an issue. Pure at your power is certainly flying wonky with unclean releases but is the easiest to grip out of them Opto should be the best variant at your power.

The Hornet is your slowest fading disc and depending on the individual it ain't curving soon enough for the tightest curves and short abruptly turning s-curves. Additionally being so fast it can skip too far so a slower harder fading disc may be useful. Sinus is flat thus way easier to grip and release cleanly and being slower than the Zone won't skip quite as hard.

Because the discs you mentioned are just in case discs and you know what to use where i don't see much trouble once you get familiar with the Blizzard discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ArcheType » Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 am

I'm special. I copied and pasted that from a thread on DGCR and didn't change the sex thing the second time. Yeah, I really shouldn't post after 10pm anymore.

As for the voodoo, I don't have huge hands, but I haven't really had many release problems, especially since I throw putters with a fan grip, albeit slightly different than the one posted on here. My biggest issue with the voodoo is it is relative crap in headwinds, but in that case I've just been throwing the buzzz.
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 am

Oh so you're special does that mean you're intersex like approximately every 3000th person sharing external at least traits of both sexes? :-D I saw a documentary about that lately and apparently a South African runner with female appearances and male chromosomes has been cleared by the Olympic committee to compete in ladies events. So here's your FPO winner and the prize is a shaving kit (for the face, not the legs) :-D

I know that the Voodoo sucks the big one in headwinds that is what caught my eye. Jokeri is great in headwinds and fairly straight when it fades fairly much in calm weather. With a fairly easy grip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ArcheType » Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 am

I actually thought about checking out a Jokeri when they came out, but I couldn't find anyone who had one so I could throw it first. Maybe I'll have to just suck it up and buy one and take the chance.
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 27, 2012 2:35 am

Basic plastic will warp into uglee and lose some HSS and LSS still being usable at least in moderate winds and managing heavier headwinds only by applying compensatory initial hyzer. Seeing as you throw FH equally much to BH i'd take the Premium plastic version because it stays more HSS and LSS for a long time. It is way friendly grip wise FH only bested by Sinus and matched by Anode and Ion but Ion flies better FH than the Anode.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ArcheType » Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 am

I'm not sure this will change your opinion or not, but I actually don't usually need really overstable discs for FH. I can push my voodoo out on FH anhyzers or straight shots without much difficulty, considering I can throw 60 yard FHs with an Ultra Star, and in ultimate you want to finish with anny.

I'll probably grab either a Sinus or a Jokeri after looking into them both more, but I don't plan on picking up both. And I hate to say it, but I really am not interested in MVP at this point. Their slippery plastic really bugs me, since it is always humid by me.
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 am

I hear you about the MVP plastic. Considering the Ultimate and Voodoo FH performace it is the Jokeri out of those two definitely. Sinus is way more OS and harder and earlier fading. Jokeri Premium plastic is way more durable and still grippy. In fact it is the grippiest regular production premium plastic around. I suggested more overstable putters for three reasons: 1. Headwinds. 2. User error tolerance. 3. Flight lines with little skip. Number 3 includes throwing according to the fairway shape not according to your preference. Anny finish FH ain't always good just as similarly finishing BH ain't for each situations. I'm sure you know this from being equally throwing player. BTW. do you throw an Ultra-Star 60 yards from stand still or x step? I haven't thrown drives with mine in two years and i've gained some D and cleanliness of form since and back then with a run up and x step i got mine inconsistently to 250'. I don't think my form improvements would translate that well to so tall a disc because my problems are mostly cleanliness of release issues and they are way worse with tall disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ArcheType » Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 am

I can throw my 60 yard fhs from a standstill, but I'm more accurate with a single step. I plant the left foot, then step around with my right so I'm squared with the direction I'm throwing.

I've throw 100+ yard backhands with an x step, but it's not a practical throw for disc golf. It's throwing a literally vertical hyzer as hard as I can and launching it as high into the air as possible so it will flatten out from speed and float the rest of the way. Only useful for pulls where you want tons of air time, but it worked great for that.
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 am

That much D with an Ultra-Star means that getting the nose down you throw any driver well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ArcheType » Tue May 29, 2012 2:29 am

My big problem right now is getting a high throw while keeping nose down. When I can do it, I'm crushing, but it's terribly inconsistent at this point. I'm throwing lots of drivers on 350' lazers 8-12 ft off the ground, which is cool, but if I could keep that same nose down consistently at 20' it would do wonders for my golf d.

While you're still interested in my thread, I've actually got a technique question. I've been reading up and seeing bits of information on how to work your wrist at the "hit." I've gone into all my throws with a virtually passive wrist allowing it to swing as it feels natural. I've then read a few things that say you should resist your wrist closing, which I'm assuming means turning towards the inside of your arm. Is that true? When the disc is at my right pec, my hand is opposite me, and my wrist is forming a straight line with my forearm. Should I be trying to maintain that straight line all the way through instead of allowing my wrist to bend inwards as I extend my elbow further?
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Wed May 30, 2012 7:11 am

That resisting of the bend was the major form reigning over others for a long time and still be the most commonly used. The wrist shouldn't be locked straight necessarily but close to it. You can't see and the feeling may be wrong so i'd start checking the distances you get from locked wrist to loose wrist in small increments.

There is another kind of wrist snap called hyper spin. It's been described earlier among others by me so searching for that should produce results.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ArcheType » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:00 pm

So, I'm seriously considering adding an opto pure to the bag. If it handles wind as good as I'm told, it could force out my HPP Voodoo off the tee, though I'm not sure if it'll win out approaching too.
ArcheType
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am

It's a great disc indeed!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion