Help me find my disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Prefacing this by saying it MAY be better off in the Bag Critique, but I don't think that's where it should go cause I'm really just trying to find a disc that does what I want it to. Not trying to get someone to tell me what holes are in my bag. But Frank, feel free to move it if you see fit.

I'm wanting a FH distance disc that has enough fade to come back if I get it turned over a bit, but not enough fade that it robs me of distance. The distance I'm looking for came from my Pro Destroyer, but it doesn't keep the fade very long that will bring it back if I get it turned over. Obviously the first thing I looked at was Star Destroyer thinking that would work out, but the ones I've gotten my hands on and tried have just had way too much fade on the end so they didn't go as far. Maybe I just needed to hit a few trees, but they seem to be just too much for what I'm looking for. So what else might fit the slot?

I have a Champion Wraith, but if I get it turned over it doesn't come back. Tried a P-PD on the course today and it worked nicely for a bit. I hit a tree pretty good with it later and it started turning a little too much on me, so maybe a C-PD? I don't know that it gave me much more distance than my Eagle-X so I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for either. I know some people like the Firebird, but while I like its consistency, I don't get a lot of distance with it. I have tried a Nate Doss Surge and it was mostly like the Star Destroyers, just a little too much fade on the end so it didn't go as far as I felt it should.

Open to any suggestions, but would like some sort of reasoning as to why you suggest it please :)
Last edited by Crosseyed0811 on Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby dgdave » Sat May 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Domey Opto Flow. Flight is very close to a Pro Destroyer with just a hint of wear on it. Flows are slightly slower but the glide more than makes up for it. Or a Sword is a good in between. Its like a flow destroyer baby.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General
User avatar
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Central OK
Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:55 pm

dgdave wrote:Domey Opto Flow. Flight is very close to a Pro Destroyer with just a hint of wear on it. Flows are slightly slower but the glide more than makes up for it. Or a Sword is a good in between. Its like a flow destroyer baby.


Man that was QUICK! Haven't thrown much Lat64 stuff except for a Pure. I may see if I can track one down and see how it feels. Thanks :)

Still open to more suggestions here though.

Edit: BTW, One I'm currently eyeing is the Teedevil. Never thrown one but for anyone who has is it possibly what I'm looking for?

And for more clarification on the type of fade I'm looking for I'll point out what I've found in Fairway Drivers. Eagle-X, Teebird, Banshee. The Teebird doesn't have enough fade to it to come back if I get it turned over, but the Banshee will. However the Banshee has SO much fade that it takes a lot of distance away. The Eagle-X still gives me good fairway driver distance and if I get it turned a little it will come back for me.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 pm

All of the Flows I've thrown have had very little fade. Yes, they've been mostly domey. I think for his description the Sword would be a better fit, since it's much like a Flow with added HSS and a bit of extra LSS.

The PD would be one good choice, don't know if C is necessary, the S is usually considered to be the best one. The DD would also probably fit you well, it's very much like a Wraith with more HSS and a reliable fade.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:21 pm

jubuttib wrote:All of the Flows I've thrown have had very little fade. Yes, they've been mostly domey. I think for his description the Sword would be a better fit, since it's much like a Flow with added HSS and a bit of extra LSS.

The PD would be one good choice, don't know if C is necessary, the S is usually considered to be the best one. The DD would also probably fit you well, it's very much like a Wraith with more HSS and a reliable fade.


I slightly modified the OP right before the Flow was suggested. I stated originally basically that I was looking for a more durable Pro Destroyer. After thinking about it I felt that wasn't exactly accurate so I edited it some.

I'll have to test out the PD a little more, I tried out the P-Line today, but didn't really test it side by side with the Eagle. Not positive it really gave me more distance though, but field work should do the trick. Hadn't heard much about the DD though, may give that one a try.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Crosseyed0811 wrote:I'll have to test out the PD a little more, I tried out the P-Line today, but didn't really test it side by side with the Eagle. Not positive it really gave me more distance though, but field work should do the trick. Hadn't heard much about the DD though, may give that one a try.
Yeah, I saw you mention the P-PD. Some are great and start out just as stable as S-Lines, but most have some innate turn to them and all will develop it in time. If you don't want the disc to fade too early but still be able to rely on it the S-Line sounds pretty optimal. Also, if you want to give the C-Line a go beware the ones that have a slanted rim. Not because they're not good (they're great), but because FH throwers usually find them even worse than BH throwers.

Discmania has described the DD as being a distance driver version of the Roc, meaning reliable stability without being a meathook. At their best they can be worthy of that description. A Wraith/TeeRex hybrid is a more believable description though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:I'll have to test out the PD a little more, I tried out the P-Line today, but didn't really test it side by side with the Eagle. Not positive it really gave me more distance though, but field work should do the trick. Hadn't heard much about the DD though, may give that one a try.
Yeah, I saw you mention the P-PD. Some are great and start out just as stable as S-Lines, but most have some innate turn to them and all will develop it in time. If you don't want the disc to fade too early but still be able to rely on it the S-Line sounds pretty optimal. Also, if you want to give the C-Line a go beware the ones that have a slanted rim. Not because they're not good (they're great), but because FH throwers usually find them even worse than BH throwers.

Discmania has described the DD as being a distance driver version of the Roc, meaning reliable stability without being a meathook. At their best they can be worthy of that description. A Wraith/TeeRex hybrid is a more believable description though.



Ahh, Teerex is another I've tried but they seem to be different with each one I throw. Yeah the PD was the one I wanted to try but I went P-Line because I wanted to be cheap and because I love the feel of P-Line/Pro plastic in drivers, just don't really work out well with holding stability for FH drives. I have some discs to take back to PIAS sometime soon, may look for X-Outs in the S PD and S DD to see what they may do for me.

Quite honestly with what you've said about the DD and what I just saw on Prime Discs description it may be exactly what I've been looking for...

Prime Discs wrote:The flight pattern of this popular driver falls between a Wraith and a Teerex on the stability spectrum, providing more high speed stability than a Wraith and less low speed overstability than a TeeRex. The distance is similar to these discs.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Ah yeah, should have pointed out "Wraith/TeeRex hybrid (assuming TeeRexes flew like they're supposed to)"... =)

The DD is a very nice distance driver, especially if you appreciate accuracy. The only reason I stopped using it is that I get the DD2 farther out there, and being a backhand thrower HSS isn't always as big of an issue. If I were to throw FH I'm certain I'd stick the DD back in there. That or the Sword, which flies mostly the same, except it has a bit less fade.

Also forgot to ask, how far are you throwing your drivers? Eagles and Destroyers specifically.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Not sure really on the distances. I actually didn't take the Eagles with me today, but the Teebirds reminded me of why I switched. With the Eagles and Teebirds I can get over 300. I know this is a downhill shot, but I have put a Teebird about 60 ft out the back of Hole 3 on the Winthrop Gold course on a frozen rope FH. The caddy book says Hole 3 is around 390' I think. I'm not very good at putting numbers to my distances, always scare I'll over estimate and put up nice forum numbers. Then knowing that I'm scared I'll under estimate to compensate and look like I don't know what I'm doing lol

Edit: Yes I started talking Teebirds, but my Eagles and Teebirds tend to go around the same distance. I've not felt comfortable enough with the Destroyer to throw it on a course to get numbers for distance.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby keltik » Sat May 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Z or ESP avengers are pretty good FH.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby plex » Sat May 26, 2012 10:06 pm

get a sword.. may not be as overstable as your looking for, but it has very little to no fade at the end on long drives that adds at least 30 yards to my drives.. you will have to hyzer flip it a little.
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: WI, USA
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Avenger may be a possibility.

As for the Sword that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for at all. I want something that has enough fade to come back if I mash on it a little or get some flutter on release. Just want a little more forgiveness since its so easy to get a little error in a FH release.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby JR » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 am

DDs vary a lot for FH turning between plastics and in glide. P DD glides a little and doesn't near dump fade like the glideless S DD does. So maybe both would be good. The Sword is like a new Destroyer with a little less fade. VIP should endure well if not thrown on rocks.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 27, 2012 7:47 am

JR wrote:DDs vary a lot for FH turning between plastics and in glide. P DD glides a little and doesn't near dump fade like the glideless S DD does. So maybe both would be good. The Sword is like a new Destroyer with a little less fade. VIP should endure well if not thrown on rocks.
The first run S-DD's were glideless, but since then all of the ones I've tried have had very decent glide.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby slowarm » Sun May 27, 2012 10:30 am

I throw about 350 FH (normally a bit less, but with a little tailwind a good throw goes over 370, so 350 is a very accurate estimation...). I usually give the disc a tiny anhyzer when throwing FH and I do want it to have a little but dependable fade in the end. This is of course when there's at least some open space for the disc to work.

My favorite FH disc for this kind of throw is SOLF. For me it works just like slightly beaten Eagle-X, but is a bit longer. Other possibilities that come to my mind (these work for me): C/S PD, Z Nuke, Star Wraith. Nuke is the longest from these, but I found it hard to find the right angle for it, so I dropped it out.
slowarm
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 am
Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest