Gliding Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gliding Driver

Postby kprestel » Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 am

I am looking for a new driver that I can really bomb. I love my Buzzz SS for its glide, but I cant throw it nearly as far as I would like.

I am still new to the game and would like your ideas.

Thanks
kprestel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Gliding Driver

Postby turso » Mon May 28, 2012 7:39 am

How far do you throw, and how clean is your form?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby slowarm » Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 am

Knowing nothing about your skill level it's hard to suggest anything, but I'd give Discmania's FD a shot. It really has an insane glide. Another good "gliding driver" is Latitude 64's River. Never forget to mention Eagle and Teebird. These all are at speed 7, although I find my flat Rivers a bit faster than that.

If you want to try something faster, Flow is one (of many) possibilities.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby inthedrift » Mon May 28, 2012 9:23 am

As others have said, without knowing your distance level I'd recommend the FD as well, perhaps a Valkyrie if you're getting a bit more distance.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby dgdave » Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 am

FD or Assassin
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BLURR » Mon May 28, 2012 10:48 am

dgdave wrote:FD or Assassin

^^^x2^^^

The Assassin is sneaky loooooong and pretty straight. The FD is also a great choice. Both disc's have insane glide to them.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon May 28, 2012 11:09 am

need to know your average distance to really predict.
Fuse - only a midrange but this disc will glide for a long time if you get it up on a tailwind and will normally glide further than your buzz. good if your still developing your form and will be a handy disc for later also.
River - nice fairway driver with tons of glide. bonus that it works well on multiple types of lines. this disc is the one i would say to grab first, as it great for newer players.
Flow - big distance driver with a good amount of glide. these turn over nicely and fade forward well even when the disc starts to slow down.

realizing i throw a lot of glide oriented Lat64 discs :D
need MVP to make a GYRO teebird/eagle so i could recommend it.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby dgdave » Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am

BLURR wrote:
dgdave wrote:FD or Assassin

^^^x2^^^

The Assassin is sneaky loooooong and pretty straight. The FD is also a great choice. Both disc's have insane glide to them.

I think these 2 discs take the least amount of effort to go long because of the glide. I've only thrown proto and 1st run Assassins, but the seemed to just stay in the air forever
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon May 28, 2012 11:27 am

My red Assassin was like that. I also had an orange one that faded way early.

River deserves mentioning here.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby kprestel » Mon May 28, 2012 12:05 pm

I do have a river and I love it.

Backhand im not the smoothest... I tend to throw to high and can go to about 250-300

Forehand im getting better... I will throw about 300
kprestel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dan Mc » Mon May 28, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm really digging the westside northman easy to get up to speed not too much movement left or right and huge glide.
Dan Mc
Noob

Favorite Disc: elite x wasp

Postby JR » Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 am

Unfortunately Latitude has variations in production and even within runs and Opto/VIP vs GL/TP have huge variations across plastics so you need to know what to look for choosing a disc. Normally you want a Opto/VIP disc that isn't flat topped and the outside edge ain't drooping down.

Like others said the River is very good and has the lowest power requirement of the suggested drivers and goes well with your power with the added benefit of being the least fading and least nose up hurting for other reasons as well. Then the FD and i'd say that the Opto Flow is too nose angle sensitive and power hungry for your current form. Once you rectify the nose up tendency it may become useful. That is why GL Flow would be better because they tend to be less domey and much more understable thus way less power hungry. Still event the GL flow loses out to the River which is fine in GL too. There aren't many discs that are good in GL/TP River is. Northman stops fast having drag so it ain't that long despite having decently good glide. I have heard manufacturer claims and user testimonials about the great glide of the Assassin. My E ain't glidey. It is from when the disc was released. Back then my example did not glide more than any other disc in existence. Eagle and TB won't hold height well at all in the latter part of the flight having so much drag so i wouldn't recommend them because they are in a way less gliding class than Leopard/River(better) and Flow/150s Northman which is the best weight range at your current form.

I would fix BH form first and switch discs later. An easier disc won't teach you how to throw. Nose up and stall ain't supported by any driver in existence.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 am

Dan Mc wrote:I'm really digging the westside northman easy to get up to speed not too much movement left or right and huge glide.
Be warned though, out of the 5 Northmen I have all have been very understable. Flat ones are most understable, but even the domey ones turn a lot on a 300+' throw.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed May 30, 2012 7:01 am

Not all VIPs from early runs at least turned. Flat TPs are horribly flippy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 am

I didn't say all, just that all of mine have, and that he should be really careful when buying new ones. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment