Looking for a straight flying disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for a straight flying disc

Postby Mlk95 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:13 am

So as you know guys I'm new to this site. I've played two games this weekend at Bethel University. It's a beatiful but challanging course. I have currently a Wolf, Valkyrie, and a Birdie. The rest of my discs are my families but since they don't use them I give them to the six other members in the league. The course has some areas where it would be useful for a disc that would go nice and straight with only a little curve. I tried a putter in a hole that was very narrow with a dense forest on both sides along with a lake. Any suggestions? I was thinking about the Cro but If you guys have a better option let me know.

On another note, I have been really mastering my Valk. Anyone know of a good driver that has some more distance but is somewhat similar to the Valk? Thank you, and have a good memorial day.
Member of the MVHS Disc golf club.
Mlk95
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Re: Looking for a straight flying disc

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 28, 2012 2:48 pm

First tell what sort of distances you're throwing with your discs. How straight a disc is depends very much on how long and how cleanly you can throw it, so knowing your average distances with different discs (also how they behave when you throw) will help us come up with a suitable disc for you.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mlk95 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:55 pm

jubuttib wrote:First tell what sort of distances you're throwing with your discs. How straight a disc is depends very much on how long and how cleanly you can throw it, so knowing your average distances with different discs (also how they behave when you throw) will help us come up with a suitable disc for you.

I'm starting to throw consistently around 240-280 feet.
Mlk95
Noob

Postby slowarm » Mon May 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Throwing 240-280 and mastering a Valk? Sorry, don't want to be rude, but you're not mastering your Valk. Same answer as to the other guy: Learn to throw with putters and mids, if nothing else, they're at least much more straighter than any driver. If you want to throw a driver, get a Star Leopard. The day you throw it over 300 with ease, take out your Valk and try again.

Or then you can just throw whatever you want and have fun. Remember to have fun.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Flipflat » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Millennium JLS, M plastic. Or S-FD. Both go straight at lower power levels, and can be super far once you get your arm-speed up.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Mlk95 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:25 pm

slowarm wrote:Throwing 240-280 and mastering a Valk? Sorry, don't want to be rude, but you're not mastering your Valk. Same answer as to the other guy: Learn to throw with putters and mids, if nothing else, they're at least much more straighter than any driver. If you want to throw a driver, get a Star Leopard. The day you throw it over 300 with ease, take out your Valk and try again.

Or then you can just throw whatever you want and have fun. Remember to have fun.

Maybe mastering wasn't the correct word usage. I'm getting the hang of it. I'm new and in just two days throwing 280 isn't too shabby. Besides I really like the feel of the Valk. In a few weeks I'm sure I'll be able to throw over 300. Just got to work on some technique. Any thoughts on the Cro? I can throw mids and my putters fine but I need something that I can really thread the needle with. Bethel has some very narrow gaps in between obstacles. I'm talking 15 feet.

I think once I get some arm speed I can increase my distance.
Mlk95
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Good to see you making quick progress, keep it up! =)

Still, straight flying discs at that power level would include most neutral mids and putters. Buzzz, Mako, Coyote, MD2, Aurora MS, a beaten in DX Roc, Comet, Axis, there are a huge variety of options for you. Drivers that naturally fly straight at that power level will most likely turn quite easily as you build up power and distance, on in a headwind. A Gazelle is probably to closest you'll get, after it beats in a bit. After you've developed a bit (might be only a week or two) the TeeBird starts to be a valid option.

With that out of the way I really recommend that you focus on throwing your mids and putters at the moment (I'm not saying that you shouldn't throw drivers, just saying you shouldn't focus on them that much). They naturally have a straighter flight path than drivers, won't fade as early, are more accurate, and best of all you can't force them to fly far, they require a bit of technique to get there. If you start learning that technique from the get go you'll thank yourself for it in a year or two. If you focus too much on mashing drivers from the get go you have a huge chance of developing bad form issues, which will require you to unlearn them later before you can fix them, and might even result in injury. Learning how to throw putters smooth and straight to 200' and beyond is one of the best ways to practice form there is. One particularly magnificent disc for learning proper form I can recommend is the Discraft Comet, especially in X. With a clean throw it can go way over 300' on a frozen rope with a flat release, but any off-axis torque (OAT as it's known here) will make it turn and burn. Magnificent disc for technique problem shooting, and about the best neutral mid you can buy.

Still, main point is that you have fun. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mlk95 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:21 pm

jubuttib wrote:Good to see you making quick progress, keep it up! =)

Still, straight flying discs at that power level would include most neutral mids and putters. Buzzz, Mako, Coyote, MD2, Aurora MS, a beaten in DX Roc, Comet, Axis, there are a huge variety of options for you. Drivers that naturally fly straight at that power level will most likely turn quite easily as you build up power and distance, on in a headwind. A Gazelle is probably to closest you'll get, after it beats in a bit. After you've developed a bit (might be only a week or two) the TeeBird starts to be a valid option.

With that out of the way I really recommend that you focus on throwing your mids and putters at the moment (I'm not saying that you shouldn't throw drivers, just saying you shouldn't focus on them that much). They naturally have a straighter flight path than drivers, won't fade as early, are more accurate, and best of all you can't force them to fly far, they require a bit of technique to get there. If you start learning that technique from the get go you'll thank yourself for it in a year or two. If you focus too much on mashing drivers from the get go you have a huge chance of developing bad form issues, which will require you to unlearn them later before you can fix them, and might even result in injury. Learning how to throw putters smooth and straight to 200' and beyond is one of the best ways to practice form there is. One particularly magnificent disc for learning proper form I can recommend is the Discraft Comet, especially in X. With a clean throw it can go way over 300' on a frozen rope with a flat release, but any off-axis torque (OAT as it's known here) will make it turn and burn. Magnificent disc for technique problem shooting, and about the best neutral mid you can buy.

Still, main point is that you have fun. =)

Thank you very, very much for the help. This was what I was looking for. I will definitely work more on my Mids. Next time I stop by Air traffic I will look for these. :D

I will also pass this info to my fellow beginners in the club.
Mlk95
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

Gazelle starts out way too hard fading so Champion Leopard is better. It is the best low power requirement driver there is. Cro fades too hard and with clean form it won't turn at all. There is a bunch of discs that hasn't a widely used class name so they are called tweeners. In this case between mid and fairway driver. Tweeners are faster and longer than mids while still being very straight. Squall in SP plastic is the best IMO for longest shots while not turning too much early and not fading too hard later. For some reason the softer plastic Squall turns more and fades harder. Stalker in mid 160s weight would be great too. When you gain power the Valk gets better but so would a River.

Valkyrie especially broken in DX has way less power requirement than most discs that are so fast. Even at his power level.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mlk95 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 am

JR wrote:Gazelle starts out way too hard fading so Champion Leopard is better. It is the best low power requirement driver there is. Cro fades too hard and with clean form it won't turn at all. There is a bunch of discs that hasn't a widely used class name so they are called tweeners. In this case between mid and fairway driver. Tweeners are faster and longer than mids while still being very straight. Squall in SP plastic is the best IMO for longest shots while not turning too much early and not fading too hard later. For some reason the softer plastic Squall turns more and fades harder. Stalker in mid 160s weight would be great too. When you gain power the Valk gets better but so would a River.

Valkyrie especially broken in DX has way less power requirement than most discs that are so fast. Even at his power level.

Ok, thank you for the help. I will look into the leopard next time I go to the store.
Mlk95
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am

I said "Gazelle after it beats in for a while." Leopard is a great disc his powerlevel, but at its heart it's still an understable disc, not stable one.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby victorb » Tue May 29, 2012 4:36 pm

slowarm wrote:Throwing 240-280 and mastering a Valk? Sorry, don't want to be rude, but you're not mastering your Valk.

sorry, but you're being really rude to a brand new player asking for legit advice, after 2 rounds of playing. that kind of attitude has no place on this board.

OP - The best advice I can give you is to pick up a dx shark, a dx roc, and an aviar putter. Innova makes these, and if you can find a starter set with a dx leopard in there (shark and aviar are included too) then the place should sell dx rocs. Just use those for a few weeks (or longer, depending on how much you play) till you get a good feel for them. keeping it simple is a good approach to learning any form of golf, and these discs will do it. You don't have to completely ditch the valkyrie, but know that getting it's full potential is still quite a bit down the road. If you throw sidearm, it's still a good driver to start with.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Mlk95 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:59 pm

victorb wrote:
slowarm wrote:Throwing 240-280 and mastering a Valk? Sorry, don't want to be rude, but you're not mastering your Valk.

sorry, but you're being really rude to a brand new player asking for legit advice, after 2 rounds of playing. that kind of attitude has no place on this board.

OP - The best advice I can give you is to pick up a dx shark, a dx roc, and an aviar putter. Innova makes these, and if you can find a starter set with a dx leopard in there (shark and aviar are included too) then the place should sell dx rocs. Just use those for a few weeks (or longer, depending on how much you play) till you get a good feel for them. keeping it simple is a good approach to learning any form of golf, and these discs will do it. You don't have to completely ditch the valkyrie, but know that getting it's full potential is still quite a bit down the road. If you throw sidearm, it's still a good driver to start with.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have three matches in the next two weeks, depending on how I'm doing would you recommend switching back to the Valkyrie? I can probably get theses discs (or some) by my saturday match.
Mlk95
Noob

Postby AcesAZ » Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Like other have said dont throw anything really fast like the Valk unless you have a headwind. No need yet and much less accurate overall. Leopard or Stalker 165-170 gram would be great choices for drivers (speed 6 discs). You really wont gain anything from a Valk unless you are throwing into a headwind, it'll fade earlier then the Leopard and Stalker type of disc and probably end up shorter. Learn to throw a shark/roc (any stable midrange) 280 and straight. The main thing to know is that the slower the disc it'll fly straighter and is easier to throw accurately. You can also throw them harder, they are more forgiving.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby Jewdy » Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I am a fairly new player also,(1 year) and the thing I wished somebody would have done for me day 1 was stick a Comet in my hand and told me wax on wax off for about 3 months. For learning clean form and how to manipulate the disc to do different flights, I think that it is almost as good of a teaching tool as it is a golf disc. It will respond harshly to OAT and very rewarding with a good rip.

Realistically, I would have probably gotten board throwing 1 disc for 3 months, but knowing what I know now I would have been much further along with my game if I started that way. I think the aviar P&A, comet, roc, leo bag would be a great way to start. They are all straightish for a beginner and are discs that can become key parts of a larger bag once you gain more experience.

Welcome to the sport!
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Next

Return to Equipment