Need help with disc selection

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need help with disc selection

Postby ggnub » Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Hey im new to disc golf, i just picked it up this spring and im hooked. My issue is i quickly accumulated a variety of discs, some from friends and i bought a few, and i get various results from each one.i am a bigger guy, and dont seem to have a problem getting the force behind my disc, and i can throw most of my drivers around the same distance. i feel throwing so many discs all the time is keeping me from developing a consistency in my game, so im hoping someone can give me their opinion on which few discs i should keep in my bag to try to get a hold of before broadening my disc selection.
Heres the list of discs:

champ wraith 169
zline nuke ss 169
zline avenger 165
pro d avenger ss 145
champ valkyrie 169
pro d stratus 174
ti stalker 176
zline buzzz ss 177+
pro dragon worn
star max 175
star tl worn

10M brick 175
aero 165
soft magnet 175
aviar

id like no narrow it down to around 5ish. i seem to have good reults throwing all the discs. thanks guys.
ggnub
Noob

Re: Need help with disc selection

Postby JR » Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 am

Welcome. Disc selection is dictated by how far you throw because different discs are designed for different finsihes left, straight or right per distance so they are designed to fly in a speed range and if you don't meet that the disc flies way differently in many cases. So to give you specific advice we'd need to know how far you throw with which disc class and what is the flight path on your best throw for a specific model. The biggest issue that needs to be cleared is the nose angle and flight path so do your driver shots fly nose up= you see the top of the disc not the rear or the bottom? That leads to a stall and short left finishes and is a form issue not a disc switching issue leading to a need change the form first and seeing where you're at flight line and distance wise. Only then can good advice be given. A video of your throws is always helpful and will help you more than picking suitable discs. It is the indian not the arrow.

One thing is clear ditch the 10 meter brick.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon May 28, 2012 10:59 am

putter : magnet / aviar - both of these are solid putters.
midrange : buzz / stratus - buzz is one of the best mids ever. stratus is a fairway, but having a solid understable disc like that is good.
driver : this is more dependant on how far you throw. but i would recommend the avenger and the Valk or the TL.
overstable : max will serve you well for your overstable / wind needs.

if you got the power you can bring out that wraith or eventually the nuke SS. size doesn't always mean distance. you need control and form to really get the discs going long and still where you want them.

ditch the brick/aero . dragons are crappy imho , the avenger SS i feel is so light that thing will be the roller if you ever want to get into that. and i have never thrown a stratus.
my 2cents
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby ggnub » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 am

I usually throw around 250-280 with most of my drivers. Most of my throws will go straight and finish hard left. Ive been working on my throw to try to get an s curve, but i usually throw something closer to a hyzer flip, that doesnt pull right. What nose angle should i be looking for? Also which of those discs would be a good choise for tomahawk shots. Thanks for the replys
ggnub
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 am

for 250-300 i would suggest driving with that stratus and then when that turns over too much pull out that worn TL.
i have heard things about some stratus being STUPID understable, so if you see that disc start to flip a lot on you it might be more than just your form. but once you are feeling comfortable in that 300 distance range then you will start to see good results out of the TL and Valk like i suggested above.

for tomahawk shots you will want a "meathook" overstable disc, so your MAX should hold that duty, though i would highly recommend a firebird if you really want to practice tomahawk shots.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby keltik » Tue May 29, 2012 11:49 am

champ wraith 169
zline nuke ss 169
zline avenger 165
pro d avenger ss 145
champ valkyrie 169
pro d stratus 174
ti stalker 176
zline buzzz ss 177+
pro dragon worn
star max 175
star tl worn

10M brick 175
aero 165
soft magnet 175
aviar

The ones in green are ones you should stack in the closet for a little while until your game develops. They are good discs but probably won't get the full flight out of them right now. after you hit about 350 consistently these discs can come out and you'll get better benefit from them.

The ones in Pink you can totally get rid of. IMHO they are not that great and can be better replaced by other molds.

the ones not colored are ones you can keep in your bag and learn to develop your game. so that leaves:
Valk
A-SS
Stalker
TL
Stratus
Buzzz SS
Aero
Magnet
Aviar

Now from these you can make decisions. I would say keep the A-SS because it is super flippy and you can learn turnover and roller lines with it.
The Valk and TL may overlap quite a bit for you right now. I would say try them together. Eventually the Valk will go a lot farther than the TL but they are both good molds.
The Stalker is a good beginner disc.
The Stratus you can use as a turnover midrange driver. It can also help you with your touch.
The Buzzz SS is a good mold for beginners also. If you want more stability you can just pick up a regular Buzzz and it feels pretty much identical (it just fades more).
The Magnet and Aviar pretty much overlap. They drive nearly the same and pretty much all putters behave the same while putting inside 30 feet. So I would say pick the one that feels the best to you. The Aero is just a fun glidey disc that will also help you with your touch and smoothness.

don't forget to do your field practice and feel free to ask more questions. welcome to a frustratingly fun addiction!!!

EDIT: you can Thumber/Tomahawk/Overhead throw any disc. You will get more distance out of the most overstable ones. The Max would probably deliver the most OH distance.

Required Reading: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby AcesAZ » Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

If you want to carry 5 Id say

Valk- Headwind distance driver
Stalker- Straight main driver
Stratus- Turnover fwy-driver
Buzzz SS- Midrange
Aviar or Magnet- Putter

Id probably stick to throwing the stratus and Buzz/Putter most to start with. Work on technique with these. Once you start overpowering these too much (turning over right too much) start to look into the other discs.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby ggnub » Tue May 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks so much for the help guys. I spent an hour or so reading part of the thread on maxing at 300ft, very eye opening. Im defiantly, throwing just with my arm haha. so i hit the driving range today (soccer field in my back yard) and brought out the stratus, stalker, avenger ss , valkyrie and buzzz ss. i noticed my drives would definatly stall out at around 280ft. is there an easier explanation on the way to get the nose down before this happens? i was a big fan on the valk, and stalker (my only issue with the stalker is its a terrible color that blends in PERFECTLY to the ground a shrubs where i play) The stratus seems to be very understable. when i throw (rhbh) it will usually fly a super gradual curve to the right with no cutback at all. im definitely sticking to the aviar and the buzz for my approach and putt.
ggnub
Noob

Postby JR » Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 am

Nose up is the bane of new players and is a FAQ. I wrote a short concise piece within a week i think so using the search function using me as the author should help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 am

JR wrote:Nose up is the bane of new players and is a FAQ. I wrote a short concise piece within a week i think so using the search function using me as the author should help.
I think you'll find that your definition of short and concise is different to everyone else's. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 pm

A new player asked about it recently so i dropped the usual level of difficulty because most guys here are experienced. They need more info to improve their game because they know the basics. New guys may have their brain fried if they were exposed to how complex things are in my limited understanding.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Equipment