Help me find my disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Help me find my disc

Postby slowarm » Sun May 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Forgot to mention one more disc that works very well for me: Pro Firebird. Not as overstable as Champ Firebird. Needs to take some beating to get that long straight line, but then it stays that way a very long time.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby keltik » Mon May 28, 2012 7:42 am

Speaking of the FL, has anyone ever done a comparison between the FL and the OLF/PD.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 am

I have tried a Star FL before, but it was still pretty beastly. I thought the Pro Firebirds were discontinued? I always wanted a Pro Firebird but wasn't going to pay for a discontinued disc, so I tried the Star FL and figured the Star Plastic would take longer to beat in than I wanted.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

How would a DD2 compare to a DD in this criteria?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby turso » Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 pm

DD2 is more of a s-curve max distance disc and DD is more HSS, control to max distance. I like the DD a lot, but the DD2 is meh for me, it's good, but nothing special in its class.

I have no idea how either of those compare to pro firebird though :P
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, DD2 is more of a pure max D disc than the controlled D offered by the DD.

I do like the DD2, and since I have some pretty great ones in P, ES and S it's good for mold minimalism purposes, but I can't help but admit that there are better discs out there for any specific purpose. The P-Line is great for max D, but frankly the Premium LEGENDa is better. My orange ES-DD2's and S-DD2's are pretty controllable, but if I'm really looking for control I'd pick the VIP Sword. My flat green ES-DD2's are great for headwind max D, but not really better than the Quasar, and Quasars aren't OOP.

EDIT: Still, I have 6 P-DD2's (only one of which is beaten in in anyway), 3 orange ES-DD2's and 3 green ES-DD2's (plus one of each hanging on the wall) and two S-DD2's, plus a C-DD2 hanging on the wall, so if the option is replacing them with three different molds, I'll stick with 'em until I lose them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Okay, so for instance I've got an assortment of S and P line PD's covering my main driver slots and I just want something that I can blast when things are more open for just pure distance, which one would fit better? Just depends on if I'm wanting more straight line D vs open curving D?

Edit: Oh, and since someone just mentioned the DD2 in passing to me, does it even fit the criteria I was looking for in the OP? Pro Destroyer type distance with enough fade to come back if I get it flipped like an Eagle-X but not so much fade that it seems to kill my distance like newer Star Destroyers.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 29, 2012 3:59 pm

DD2 is better for just all out blasting. I'd also say that unless you get a P-Line and beat it in quite a bit they'll come back. Might be too harsh at first, but that's what beating them in is for. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby AcesAZ » Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm

jubuttib wrote:DD2 is better for just all out blasting. I'd also say that unless you get a P-Line and beat it in quite a bit they'll come back. Might be too harsh at first, but that's what beating them in is for. =)

Ive also thrown the DD2 and DD quite extensively. The DD is is great all around stable driver, 2.2 1.2 rim, same as Destroyer. I only throw my DD2 into headwinds. As a 350 thrower its just too much disc normally. I keep it in the bag but maybe use it once or twice a round. For what it does its great, super fast max D disc.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Ive also thrown the DD2 and DD quite extensively. The DD is is great all around stable driver, 2.2 1.2 rim, same as Destroyer.
It's not actually. I know the PDGA stats say that, but it's a Wraith wing. Just busted out the calipers and all of my premium plastic Destroyers were between 22.8-23.4 mm, only one was under 23 mm. Meanwhile all of my premium DD's were 21.5 mm. They might have used a baseline plastic for approving the Destroyer, resulting in a smaller measured rim width.

Still, the DD wing is definitely a Wraith wing, just with an Anhyzer top.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby AcesAZ » Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 pm

jubuttib wrote:
AcesAZ wrote:Ive also thrown the DD2 and DD quite extensively. The DD is is great all around stable driver, 2.2 1.2 rim, same as Destroyer.
It's not actually. I know the PDGA stats say that, but it's a Wraith wing. Just busted out the calipers and all of my premium plastic Destroyers were between 22.8-23.4 mm, only one was under 23 mm. Meanwhile all of my premium DD's were 21.5 mm. They might have used a baseline plastic for approving the Destroyer, resulting in a smaller measured rim width.

Still, the DD wing is definitely a Wraith wing, just with an Anhyzer top.

Good to know. I dont throw a Destroyer yet (broken leg). I picked one up for testing recently. A Pro at 167. I generally dont really like wings larger then 2.2 and shallower then 1.2 (like the DD2 and most max speed discs). The Wraith wing fits great for my hand size. Just from the feel test the Destroyer wing feels good though.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby slowarm » Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:I thought the Pro Firebirds were discontinued? I always wanted a Pro Firebird but wasn't going to pay for a discontinued disc,

Oh my, lucky me(?) I bought two Pro Firebirds last summer. One is still waiting to see the daylight, the other is in my bag. I hope I can keep going with these two for some time.

Sorry, I didn't know it's discontinued, wouldn't have mentioned it if I'd known.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am

slowarm wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:I thought the Pro Firebirds were discontinued? I always wanted a Pro Firebird but wasn't going to pay for a discontinued disc,

Oh my, lucky me(?) I bought two Pro Firebirds last summer. One is still waiting to see the daylight, the other is in my bag. I hope I can keep going with these two for some time.

Sorry, I didn't know it's discontinued, wouldn't have mentioned it if I'd known.

Ah, don't worry about it. They do still make the Star FL, but it was still a little beefy for me, and I didn't want to take the time to break it in. I can get impatient with my discs >.< Might can catch them on the Innova Proshop site sometime.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Okay... Just an update...

136 Blizzard Boss wins..

The end.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Previous