Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Some say they're top athletes, I call bullshit.

Where do YOU think the top pros stack on the totem pole when it comes to athleticism?
bergdawg
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm
Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby victorb » Tue May 29, 2012 1:33 pm

No clue since I've never seen them play other sports. That's how you can tell who the best athletes are - have them play something that they don't train at year round.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby vtbuzzz » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Avery Jenkins definitely works out.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Burlington, VT
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 pm

They seem in shape. Probably not the same as any pro athlete in any big sport as their level of athleticism is way above the normal person's level.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Its a different type of athleticism then other sports. Every sport requires a different body type, and different abilities. Examples. Being 6'5 and 300 pounds, but still able to jog means you can be a pro lineman in football. Being 7'2 and being able to walk means you can play pro basketball. Being 4'5 means you can be a jockey.

These are extremes, but the point I am trying to make is every sport requires different types of skill, body size/shape, and different athletic skills. The two popular sports that I consider to have the people that are the most athletic are soccer and basketball.

Also the level of athleticism of disc golfers in general is the same level as ball golfers. It varies from each person.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:17 am
Location: Dubuque, IA
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm

I don't think you can really compare disc golfers to any sport that has enough funding where the athletes have professional trainers and can spend a ton of money to get in the best shape. The top ball golfers are in fantastic shape nowadays.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby BLURR » Wed May 30, 2012 10:33 am

I am naturally athletic bitches :D
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby gknmnstr » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 am

I once saw this one pudgy guy ace a 170' downhill hole. He was out of breath from the walk up the hill and was obviously NOT athletically inclined, but that didn't stop him from yelling, I'M A F%%$*# ATHLETE. I laughed just a little bit.
Pure-Fuse-River-Halo
gknmnstr
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:40 pm
Location: the nearest disc golf course
Favorite Disc: FUSE/RIVER

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby AcesAZ » Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Athletic as ball golfers. Ive played ball golf seriously for 20+ years. Both sports require the body to work from the ground up in a chain reaction correctly to achieve optimum results. Certain size helps unless you are crazy athletic like Long distance champ Jamie Sadlowski who is only 5-11 and 165. The main thing I believe in both sports at the highest level is the ability to repeat the motion consistently. The avg person cant drive the ball 300 yards nor throw a disc 400'. There is a talent and athletic ability required to do so.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby JHern » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm

The level of athleticism among a lot of the top touring pros is pretty strong, although it obviously isn't NFL-level (where being a freak is imperative). Of course, some are more obviously athletic than others, but after playing a round with some of them at a big course you'll surely notice that you're not in as good a condition as they are (even if you compare well against the average Joe). A lot of them are in excellent shape and train ten times harder and longer than any of us schmucks.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Wed May 30, 2012 1:43 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Athletic as ball golfers. Ive played ball golf seriously for 20+ years. Both sports require the body to work from the ground up in a chain reaction correctly to achieve optimum results. Certain size helps unless you are crazy athletic like Long distance champ Jamie Sadlowski who is only 5-11 and 165. The main thing I believe in both sports at the highest level is the ability to repeat the motion consistently. The avg person cant drive the ball 300 yards nor throw a disc 400'. There is a talent and athletic ability required to do so.



400 feet is not a big accomplishment. i have hit that mark and am in no way in shape. in fact, when I was in shape I was not throwing as far as I do now. didnt get as worn out going up and down hills. but couldnt throw as far. wouldnt say that throwing 400 is the same as hitting a 300 yard drive.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: behind you
Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby AcesAZ » Wed May 30, 2012 2:43 pm

TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:
AcesAZ wrote:Athletic as ball golfers. Ive played ball golf seriously for 20+ years. Both sports require the body to work from the ground up in a chain reaction correctly to achieve optimum results. Certain size helps unless you are crazy athletic like Long distance champ Jamie Sadlowski who is only 5-11 and 165. The main thing I believe in both sports at the highest level is the ability to repeat the motion consistently. The avg person cant drive the ball 300 yards nor throw a disc 400'. There is a talent and athletic ability required to do so.



400 feet is not a big accomplishment. i have hit that mark and am in no way in shape. in fact, when I was in shape I was not throwing as far as I do now. didnt get as worn out going up and down hills. but couldnt throw as far. wouldnt say that throwing 400 is the same as hitting a 300 yard drive.


I meant on average. Ive hit a golf ball 380-400 yards before, but it was dry with a 30 mph tailwind. Ive also thrown a Disc around 600 mark but it was severely downhill. If you can avg 400 throwing a disc you are in the top 1% Id say, just as driving a golf ball and avg 300 yards. Again top 1%. Doing it once doesnt count.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 30, 2012 4:58 pm

uh i know a bunch of dudes who can throw 400'
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby bergdawg » Wed May 30, 2012 5:13 pm

400' is not top 1%.
bergdawg
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm
Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 30, 2012 5:22 pm

A buzzz and a beer wrote:The two popular sports that I consider to have the people that are the most athletic are soccer and basketball.
Personally I think I'd pick male gymnasts at number one. With the level of power, dexterity, control and versatility required there they could be pretty good at pretty much anything if coached properly.
AcesAZ wrote:The avg person cant drive the ball 300 yards nor throw a disc 400'. There is a talent and athletic ability required to do so.
I'd say hitting 400' with a disc is closer to being able to drive the ball 240-250 yards than 300.

EDIT: Especially looking at this. Bubba Watson leads the average drive stats at 315 yards, and only 17 average 300 yards or more. 300 yard average golf drive is more like 500-600 feet average disc golf drive.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests