DIY Disc Golf Backpack

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: DIY Disc Golf Backpack

Postby RustyP » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 pm

This thread inspired me to try my own diy backpack. Unfortunately I couldn't find a swiss gear neufchatel, and the cabela's tackle bag that some guy on dgcr used was more than I wanted to spend. So...I hit the local academy sports and bought a cheap magellan backpack ("bonner" is the specific model), dropped my old revo frame in the bottom of the main compartment and voila...I've got a $25 backpack that holds 12-18 discs comfortably, has two 32oz bottle holders, and lots of extra storage compartments.
The construction isn't anything like my revos, but I'm not really expecting it to last 6yrs like my texas team bag. I'll probably need to make a pvc frame for it too, as the revo frame is a little too snug. The only initial work I put into it was adding some safety pins to keep the zippers from opening all the way. Playing my first round with it tomorrow...pics and review soon.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby thejib » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 am

Anyone manage to make one of these with a similar backpack? This K swiss one seems great, however they are pretty much extinct from what I can tell. Sent ya a pm steve, let me know if you have anymore.
thejib
Noob

Favorite Disc: surge

Postby nismo923 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Are you still selling these bags?
nismo923
Noob

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 am

BLURR wrote:I have seen some of Steve's bag setups up close while trading plastic...it's a pretty slick bag. A guy in one of our leagues carries one and loves it.

i remember you mentioning your from des moines. i have been seeing a few guys playing league with modified bags like these.
im glad this made it back to the top because i was totally looking for how to do this myself after seeing his bag and i get good discounts on laptop bags through my work.

as far as the swiss bags are concerned i do know of a few people who recently revisited this and made bags, i will have to ask them what type of laptop bag they used, but i remember they landed in the similar 60-80 dollar range and were almost identical in terms of setup/storage/general look.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby BLURR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

If Steve doesn't have anymore available, there is always the Cabela's route. I currently flip flop my xpg tacklebox for fishing and disc golf. Works great with the little pvc frame I made for it. Great bag.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 am

BLURR wrote:If Steve doesn't have anymore available, there is always the Cabela's route. I currently flip flop my xpg tacklebox for fishing and disc golf. Works great with the little pvc frame I made for it. Great bag.

talked to a few guys at league last night and found a few backpacks that still are being sold that have been noted to work well.
2 man "Worst Shot" was a dam nightmare though...

Someone using a modified Ogio Vagabond showed me their bag and i think its what im going to buy and attempt.
there is a bit more modification required since this is a laptop bag, but nothing a bit of sewing and seam ripping can't fix.
will try to remember to report back once i finish it.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby gretagun » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 am

BLURR wrote:If Steve doesn't have anymore available, there is always the Cabela's route. I currently flip flop my xpg tacklebox for fishing and disc golf. Works great with the little pvc frame I made for it. Great bag.

I noticed Cass has been using a backpack fishing bag now, and he said he likes it better than his Revo backpack.

Also played with a guy during the Challenge who converted a Dakine (snowboard,skateboard bag) bag like this into a nice golf bag:

Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Previous

Return to Equipment