Crosseyed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Crosseyed's Bag

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 am

Still nursing my knee but tested it out at Sullivan in rock hill (Short 9 hole course)... Basically only threw mids and putters so I'll update what I'm seeing there...

Drivers:
169 Champ Teebird: Straight line Drives
168 DX Eagle X: New, Hoping to learn to work it on FH stuff. Gonna Watch how it breaks in
168 DX Teebird: Slight turn, great for powering down and/or hyzer flips
169 Champ Banshee: Useable overstable for me. Headwinds and overhead stuff.
168 Z Avenger SS: New, hoping to work my understable stuff here.

Mids: dropped everything but the Spiders right now and am LOVING them. Not sure how much of a distance gap they leave between them and the drivers I have because of my knee and such, if there is more of a gap than I want I'll be adding something else to go with them here whether it be MD2s or whatever

170 DX Spider: BEST FH disc I've ever thrown that wasn't a driver. Very workable (in fact I don't think I knew what workable MEANT until I started flicking this thing) Also great for approaches BH or FH and outside the circle runs at the chains.
172 Champ Spider: The DX is starting to get nicely flippy, so I needed a more stout one to compliment it. Loving this thing

Putters:
175 Star Wedge: I LOVE THIS DISC, effortless to throw, flippy but controllable.
172 Pro D Banger GT: have 2 of these, Identical color (black, they are sexy) and weight, never thrown for anything but true putts. Trying to get serious about my putting game and this was step one, having dedicated putt only discs, and more than one that were as alike as possible for practicing purposes.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm

If you can get your hands on a Pro Destrulcan, do it. I'm going to write up more about mine soon. Played at Renaissance today, and the Destrulcan was so easy to control, if you keep the nose down. It seems to go against my focus on slower drivers, but for courses like Renny where distance and accuracy are both a premium, it was money.

Have you had some time with your Avenger SS? Is it flying like a RR? And how do you like your DX Eagle-x? I've had a lot of success with mine as it slowly breaks in. Even after a few tree hits and hard landings, it's still stable, but it fades later and softer than my other EX's.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 pm

After taking the "winter" off, I'm working with a mostly new setup right now.

136 Bliz Boss - just to unload on a forehand when I can.
S and P PDs for most of my drives right now, still breaking them in
Champ Banshee for all my overstable needs
Rocs
Classic Aviars

So I'm wondering a few things, one what holes am I going to have with the PDs and what would be best to fill them. FDs sound nice, and I've got a few Roadrunners. I've not had enough time with the PDs to know what they can't do yet. Also played in a little tournament in Rock Hill this past weekend and found SO many people throwing Champ Rhynos. Am I missing something, would they be a nice addition for my bag? Would my Hydras be able to fill that slot instead?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:52 am

It's impossible to know about your preferences flight line wise and grip wise so you need to test them out. If the Rhyno feels awful in the hand chances are you won't use it long term. Rhyno is good for limiting distance. It is quite straight at high power still giving a lot of user error protection and powered down fades nicely more than the Aviar you have. So for differently shaped courses it can be helpful. I haven't thrown Hydras so i don't know about that. My FD may have been a lemon but i'm not buying another one unless i first can loan one that flies well. Roady would overlap hard with the FD because the FD is deceptively long despite being slower. Roady is in between Bliz Boss and the PD in distance. What happens on BH throws with the Boss?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:38 am

JR wrote:It's impossible to know about your preferences flight line wise and grip wise so you need to test them out. If the Rhyno feels awful in the hand chances are you won't use it long term. Rhyno is good for limiting distance. It is quite straight at high power still giving a lot of user error protection and powered down fades nicely more than the Aviar you have. So for differently shaped courses it can be helpful. I haven't thrown Hydras so i don't know about that. My FD may have been a lemon but i'm not buying another one unless i first can loan one that flies well. Roady would overlap hard with the FD because the FD is deceptively long despite being slower. Roady is in between Bliz Boss and the PD in distance. What happens on BH throws with the Boss?

For the FD vs. Roadrunner, I was fairly certain there would be some overlap and I wouldn't keep both of them in. I was just looking at either throwing my Roadrunners back in the bag would probably cover me or if the FD would be a superior compliment to the PDs.

Edit: another disc catching my eye to slide in here is a Sidewinder. So FD/SW/RR, which one compliments the PD better?

As far as the Boss, not a clue as I've not thrown it backhand. Only thrown it a few times FH because I haven't gotten to any good fields yet, but I did get a throw off Saturday that cut through the mass of trees and just kept going. wound up in the street on the other side of the park. Figured it was worthy of working with it cause it seems so effortless to throw.

Edit: Google Maps' ruler tool appears to be back now, so the little forehand Boss shot appeared to be easily over 400 and that was fighting through trees. Google is giving me 417, but I'm not 100% on the tee location through the tree coverage.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 am

RR is the longest and the PD ain't so long so i'd say that since you don't yet use the Boss for anything longer. Even if you did it might fade out on you so the RR would still be great. RR for me flies more HSS than the FD i gave away. SW is the least useful in winds so it's a situational disc although less fading than the RR. It is also trickier to throw even in the new Stars that are way better discs than the original ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 am

I'll get my RR's out sometime and give them a shot. Thanks!

Also I am thinking about giving a Champ Rhyno a shot. Was shocked at how many people I'd seen throwing them this past weekend. In face one guy I knew swore by BB Aviars for driving putters threw pretty much threw nothing but the Rhyno. I asked him why the switch and he said "This thing has brakes..." Maybe I need some brakes? If nothing else I could see a stiff headwind on shorter holes be an issue without something other than the Aviars and Rocs. Classic Aviars would be a little funny in a good headwind and the Rocs might take too much powering down for me to throw as consistently as I would want in the wind.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:28 am

That is a good description of the usefulness of the Rhyno in short but they are even better than that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:42 am

JR wrote:That is a good description of the usefulness of the Rhyno in short but they are even better than that.

Didn't feel the need to expound upon that? This may have been your shortest post ever JR :-P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 am

The length of my shortest post ever was:"!". I've also used equally short smileys.

I left a cliff hanger about the Rhyno on purpose to make you even more curious. As in get one to find out for yourself :-) The Rhyno doesn't seem to get enough praise outside of here and i may be the most rabid Rhyno fan here anyway. I used it even as my main putter for around a year but as a drive and approacher it is much better. While it doesn't make my regular bag any more it comes along on windier days and depending on the course i'm on. And i use a slew of putters because of the tight holes and often short enough holes that are reachable with putters. In that slew of putters Rhyno has a second tier staple status meaning it is first tier depending on the conditions.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 am

JR wrote:The length of my shortest post ever was:"!". I've also used equally short smileys.

I left a cliff hanger about the Rhyno on purpose to make you even more curious. As in get one to find out for yourself :-) The Rhyno doesn't seem to get enough praise outside of here and i may be the most rabid Rhyno fan here anyway. I used it even as my main putter for around a year but as a drive and approacher it is much better. While it doesn't make my regular bag any more it comes along on windier days and depending on the course i'm on. And i use a slew of putters because of the tight holes and often short enough holes that are reachable with putters. In that slew of putters Rhyno has a second tier staple status meaning it is first tier depending on the conditions.

Haha, well I've got one ordered, going to pick it up later. We shall see :)
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 am

The Rhyno was okay. I think the Champ Spider fits what I'm looking for better than the Rhyno for me. Still Working on building from the ground up. I feel like the Putters are locked in now, and the Mids are everything but locked in. All the drivers are still in testing mode other than my Banshee. I'm basically trying to build something that theoretically covers everything with discs that are comfortable and do okay for me, and then stick with them and learn them. I like for everything to have a clearly defined role. I do not want to walk up to a tee and have to think over 3 or 4 discs that basically do the same thing with minor differences and wonder which one I want to throw.

Putters:
Classic Aviars - putts approaches and shorter drives.
Star/Champ Aviar - Don't have it yet, but looking to add a premium no bead Aviar as a more stable driving putter. The DX Classics are very nice but I have a few beat in that work wonderfully, just turn too easy for some shots.

Mids:
Star Coyote - Main BH Mid, for "straight" lines, may try Champ as well, waiting for more feedback elsewhere before testing the champs myself
Champ Spider - More headwind, FH mid, and more s curve lines. This drops down to a more overstable approach disc as well.
Pro Spider - Don't have this yet, but they have them in the Innova Proshop and I'm curious to see how one feels and breaks in.

Fairway Drivers:
Champ Banshee - everything overstable
Leaning towards the FD to go here as a stable to understable control driver. I think at my power range it will be nice for that.

Distance Drivers:
PDs - have P and S right now, mostly use them FH but my BH can get a pretty good throw with the P and the S works as a Moderately Overstable BH disc.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 pm

I wouldn't get the champ Coyote because it overlaps so badly being only a feet more fading so the only difference is worse tunnel penetration. PD -Power Driver is like it's name suggests power hungry. How is your knee now? I think it would be easier for you physically to throw as far with the Boss you have and actually farther too. I'd stick with the Coyote Spider combo because they are great and so different and fly different distances so it suits well into your great bag building philosophy.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 am

Found what I'd done with an old Star Aviar of mine. Used it as trade fodder to a buddy who was willing to trade fodder it back... Hadn't thrown it any, said it was sitting in his "to-dye" bin ever since I'd given it to him. Gave him the champ rhyno that I tested out for it.

also thinking about moving away from the FD. It sounds very nice, but I need to stick with more baseline plastics for my pocket :-P. Don't mind having some premiums, but don't want to have a bag full of nothing but premiums and at this time FD's are not available to me in anything but Star. Maybe going to look back to either Eagles or Teebirds/Leopards? I dunno, it'll be another couple of weeks before I get anything and get out to play as I have some things going on, so I'll be doing some Theory Crafting... May get my DX Eagle out to the field as well as my DX and Champ Teebirds and my Pro Leopards...

Edit: Leaning towards the eagles giving me Aviar/Coyote/Spider/Eagle/Banshee/PD for now
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Can i push you more in that direction? :-) The only thing i'd test out would be a River but i heard thy had bogus ones this year so if you can get one from last year...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion