Replacement for Classic Roc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Replacement for Classic Roc

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Ridges are pretty flat, not much shoulder. Summits are pretty shallow too. (Not that I'm suggesting the Summit as a Classic Roc alternative).
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Drowsy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 am

Similiar flat top, and they are slightly deeper. The ridge drops like a brick though.. Looking for something with more glide. Picking up a pure today.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 am

The Classic Roc is basically an XD with a bead. Innova has recently produced some Champion XDs that I hear are very nice and stable...

These X-outs aren't very expensive...
https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/in ... ductId=570
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:49 am

the champ XDs suck.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm

In calm weather they are usable but more LSS and HSS but the dome makes the grip worse and winds hurt the flight making the resistance of the dome a problem. The C XD doesn't turn right as well as a DX XD.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:the champ XDs suck.

JR wrote:In calm weather they are usable but more LSS and HSS but the dome makes the grip worse and winds hurt the flight making the resistance of the dome a problem. The C XD doesn't turn right as well as a DX XD.

Alrighty then. Too bad!

If the OP finds a good answer, I'll also be curious to know.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 pm

It's the opto pure.
Frank Delicious

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:It's the opto pure.

OK, then I'll have to try one myself...and see what all this Swedish plastic is about. Any tips on run variations to seek or avoid? Dome or flat? Etc.?
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I don't know if there have been too many runs yet. All the ones I've seen have been flattish, grippy and opaque
Frank Delicious

Postby Drowsy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Opto wins. Slightly less stable at high speeds, but very similiar low speed characteristics. Frank was right.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 pm

I disagree about the Opto Pure recommendation. I think they have a good HSS, but their LSS is not enough to really compare them to a classic Roc. I would honestly just buy another classic Roc. The white ones I've seen recently have been made of a pretty nice feeling DX plastic, and they stay pretty stable for a long time.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:58 pm

The best Classic Rocs are all over-stable, they begin hyzering out immediately right out of the hand no matter how hard you throw. Over time they beat in purely straight at high speed (maybe a tick of turn) and strong fade at low speed. They also have a very narrow rim, which is at least as important in terms of having a disc that "feels" like a Classic Roc. The way I throw them is to sort of punch it right at the target on a low level hyzer line.

Still looking for some Pures to try out...I'm not seeing many around in shops. It isn't urgent for me yet, since I still have 3 money Star Classic Rocs.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Drowsy wrote:I absolutely love the classic roc for approaches and short drives under 250'. It's just the predictably straight flight and low speed fade along with the shallowness that makes for a clean release very time has made this disc my primary approach for the last 5 years, They dont make them in premium plastic anymore, and I need to find a sustainable alternative. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In candy plastic a Classic Roc should last for years. Even if they are out of production at the moment, picking up a couple should hold you over for another 5 or 10 years. Over that time frame the increased expense of an OOP disc is pretty irrelevant. Oh, and btw, for a workhorse disc like this you should already have a stack of backups.

Of course since you love the Buzzz, you could do what I do for that shot, a beat up X Buzzz.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JHern » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 am

Mark Ellis wrote:...Of course since you love the Buzzz, you could do what I do for that shot, a beat up X Buzzz.

Buzzz is mostly what I use as a mid-range, but I don't think it replaces the Classic Roc. The CR is a slower disc, and easier to range (particularly on upshots), has a good deal of fade, and does not fly nearly as far as the Buzzz.

I have to say, there still isn't a compelling answer to the OP (maybe some hope for the Pure?)...and it sucks that such a great disc is being discontinued. Part of the problem might lie in the fact that recent DX CR runs have all used the garbage waxy DX blend that beats in ultra-fast and flies rather flippily, and of course people don't want to buy that.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Drowsy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:41 am

JHern wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:...Of course since you love the Buzzz, you could do what I do for that shot, a beat up X Buzzz.

Buzzz is mostly what I use as a mid-range, but I don't think it replaces the Classic Roc. The CR is a slower disc, and easier to range (particularly on upshots), has a good deal of fade, and does not fly nearly as far as the Buzzz.

I have to say, there still isn't a compelling answer to the OP (maybe some hope for the Pure?)...and it sucks that such a great disc is being discontinued. Part of the problem might lie in the fact that recent DX CR runs have all used the garbage waxy DX blend that beats in ultra-fast and flies rather flippily, and of course people don't want to buy that.

After further use, I regret to say that a deflashed opto pure flies nothing like a classic roc. It's much more comparable to a much slower buzzz. No strong fade, and it is deeper than a classic. Perhaps dx is my only option. :/
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment