Zone Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Zone Question

Postby Spence255 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I started out with a P&A then switched to using the Voodoo. I liked the voodoo but lost it and bought some X out magics. Didn't like the magics as much and bought a couple of ridges when they came out. I bought some Ions after the ridges and was using them exclusive for a while. I ended up picking up a D zone when it was on sale. I really like the disc it is nice and stiff and I like the feel much better than the premium plastic of the ion. Also it has a low profile which my putting stile seems to prefer.

Any other putters out there have similar flight and feel to a D Zone?
Spence255
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Valk

Re: Zone Question

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Ringer, Classic Roc, Sinus
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 am

also if you want a low profile compliment that is less stable the xd and the wedge are good for that.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 am

i have see a number of local guys have really good results with Ringers and Classic Rocs.
the XD and Wedge as mentioned are low profile but will likely take a bit of time to get used to the feel for as they are very slim and perform different from your typical P&A putter.

the bonus of the classic roc is that you can find them in a number of different stiffness/grip it seems like. i know some people who like their super stiff DX versions, and i have seen some really rubbery old Pro plastic ones that felt amazing.

if you like the zone then by all means stick with it. i practice at home with some beat to hell Zones and Magnets and i like that they have a similar feel in the hand to my ION so that when im out on the course its not much different.
i would practice putt more with IONs if i could but at 15 a pop they are a bit expensive for the amount of abuse my back yard discs seem to accumulate.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:29 am

Zone is the the best disc ever. ESPs last forever. pro d's will beat in to straight. Z is a little less overstable than the ESPs. thats a great spectrum. There is no substitute for the almighty Zone.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Hyzerline49 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm

id say cycle some pro d's through your bag, and throw xd's alongside them until you get one beat enough. or keep and xd for turnovers aswell.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Spence255 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am defiantly going to pick up a few more zones. I will probably try the ringer and classic roc too see how they compare. I wouldn't mid something slightly less stable, but cycling the Pro D's will probably get me there eventually.

Now if Marshal Street will have a $5 pro D sale again I could be set.
Spence255
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Valk

Postby colombo117 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Pures have a similar profile and are less stable then the zone. The new ones in test material 2 are nice. So are the optos.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby JR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 am

No the difference between the feel from the height of a Pure makes it very different to a Zone especially for small hands with short fingers and FH.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 am

I am pairing pro d and esp zones with wedges right now and really liking it. get the zone that are past flat to the point of being a little concaved and they will hold there line longer before the fade.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby what'shisname » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm

money 21 wrote:I am pairing pro d and esp zones with wedges right now and really liking it. get the zone that are past flat to the point of being a little concaved and they will hold there line longer before the fade.

Your sig still has voodoos in it, are you still carrying those as well?

I'm using Ions and Zones and a single Anode for putters. I use the Ions for my primary putter but am hoping to switch to my pro d zone when it's a bit more beat up. I love the feel of the zone and would love to find a neutral counterpart to it.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 pm

find a flat to concave xd. that will be a far less stable compliment to the zone, with a very similar profile though.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 pm

A less extreme Zone? JOKERi.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 am

what'shisname wrote:
money 21 wrote:I am pairing pro d and esp zones with wedges right now and really liking it. get the zone that are past flat to the point of being a little concaved and they will hold there line longer before the fade.

Your sig still has voodoos in it, are you still carrying those as well?

I'm using Ions and Zones and a single Anode for putters. I use the Ions for my primary putter but am hoping to switch to my pro d zone when it's a bit more beat up. I love the feel of the zone and would love to find a neutral counterpart to it.

yes i putt and throw short approach ( <150') with the voodoo. for 150'-275' i am more then likely throwing either a wedge or a zone.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment