Disc dying issues.

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc dying issues.

Postby kaminski728 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:59 am

I have tried different methods of dying discs but nothing has worked and Im wondering if there are any first time dyer mistakes that I may be doing that are screwing up my dyes. The problems are that when I brush on the ink mix or cook the dye onto the disc they constantly come out light no matter how many times i redye the discs. Im just hoping someone can help me out with this problem.
kaminski728
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Orc

Re: Disc dying issues.

Postby eky8 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

What type of dye and plastic are you using?
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby Itchy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, I think eky8 is on the right track... sounds like you might be trying to dye DX, or equivalent, plastic...
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby kaminski728 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 pm

well i Have tried dying a dx eagle disc and a discraft nuke ss and i have had the same results would any of those disc be a issue. Also I am using the Rit dye .
kaminski728
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Orc

Postby Itchy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 am

DX plastic wont take dye very well, as far as I know, Nuke SS only comes in Z plastic, which dyes great. I've got a bunch of old Rit, but I've heard the newer stuff has been altered so it doesn't dye plastic... heard rumors of it being used for vandalism I think.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby eky8 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Rit changed the formula for their dye. Unless you buy older rit dye it will no longer dye plastic. The stuff to get now is idye poly. From everything I have heard it is better than rit anyway. Just don't add the intensifier packet. You may have to order it online as a lot of places don't carry it yet. Also they don't have as many colors as rit. There are only 8 colors. Make sure you get the poly type, not just plain idye. Also baseline plastics don't take dye very well. It's possible but the effort is way too much for the quality of the results. Stick with premium plastics and you will be much happier.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Return to Disc Artwork