Woods Advice For A Sporadic Roc Tosser

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Woods Advice For A Sporadic Roc Tosser

Postby colombo117 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah, it helps to build up a stash of new, seasoned, and beat rocs. I like premium plastic, but dx feels great when worn in and my 3 year old dx roc is a hyzer flipping machine, still super straight. I have a few star rocs and they only stayed in the bag for a bit.

To each their own.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

victorb wrote:
Drowsy wrote:
victorb wrote:
InvaderMirO wrote:

The whole point of using rocs is to have the same feel and the same mold to be able to cover your spectrum of midrange shots. Most people that throw a buzzz do so because they don't like the beaded mold of a roc or comet or whatever. Have fun losing your 4 year old flippy buzzz that you can't buy a replacement for off the shelf, in the same mold. I'll just pull another roc out of my stash and put it in the rotation without flinching.

it takes a LOT longer than 3-6 months to break the stability out of a dx rancho roc. other than that, I really don't have much to say since there are people that just prefer premium plastic midranges no matter the reasoning.

I meant per cycle. Aka, OS to S, S to flippy. So by your math, it takes how long exactly to hit that "sweet spot" of dead straight? And how long again till it gets flippy? I play wooded courses, Im interested how long it takes for a single cycle, and a full cycle of one roc. Everbody answer this one.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Drowsy wrote:
I meant per cycle. Aka, OS to S, S to flippy. So by your math, it takes how long exactly to hit that "sweet spot" of dead straight? And how long again till it gets flippy? I play wooded courses, Im interested how long it takes for a single cycle, and a full cycle of one roc. Everbody answer this one.

Well, I put a brand new 175 dx roc in my bag in July of last year, and it's started it's straight phase. I have a dx roc from 2004 that is thrashed and a good turnover disc, but still will hyzer flip to flat and hold it if I want it to. I have yet to throw a roc so long and get it so beat up that it loses it's usefulness, so I can't comment on how long a full cycle takes. A dx roc isn't really super overstable even when new so you should be able to get them to fly straight on longer shots right off the shelf.

If I ventured a hypothesis, I'd say a brand new dx roc takes 2-4 months to beat it's initial overstability out. The wear process slows significantly after that phase - though it's still easy to have one primary that you throw a lot and get it to a beat stage. Most people will put something similar to an x comet or ontario mold roc in the bag until they get a rancho nice and worn in for a turnover disc.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:18 pm

DX rocs definitely suffer from plastic variations but when I was playing more it took me about 4 months to get one to straight (as in very little fade) and probably another month to get it to straight with no fade. From there it would last quite a while in that stage as a beat roc is very easy to manipulate with hyzer and nose angle. I would say I get a roc to the flippy, not-coming-back, stage in about a year.

I actually just had some horrible luck and broke all three of my super beat DX rocs and am rocking a worn ESP comet in that slot until I can get some one disc rounds in with my only slightly beat rocs.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I actually just had some horrible luck and broke all three of my super beat DX rocs and am rocking a worn ESP comet in that slot until I can get some one disc rounds in with my only slightly beat rocs.

This is the one thing that scares me about throwing dx rocs.

I have about 15 comets idling in the disc box, waiting for it to happen one day.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 pm

I usually have a pretty good rotation going and have back up flippy rocs, just having all three break in a week and a half was kinda bad luck.
Frank Delicious

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm

If I ventured a hypothesis, I'd say a brand new dx roc takes 2-4 months to beat it's initial overstability out. The wear process slows significantly after that phase - though it's still easy to have one primary that you throw a lot and get it to a beat stage. Most people will put something similar to an x comet or ontario mold roc in the bag until they get a rancho nice and worn in for a turnover disc.[/quote]

So, if you played 12 months a year, for 4 years, replacing a roc every 3 months to fill the overstable slot, you would spend $144. All that in the time it takes for me to lose 1 Z Buzz.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 pm

A slippery slope of an argument, indeed.

KC Rocs are produced for a reason. Those take probably 3-4 times longer to wear in.

I'm not saying you're wrong to throw a buzzz. Simply explaining why some people prefer to throw rocs instead.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm not arguing effectiveness. But getting what you're paying for seems far-fetched. And I wouldn't cry about losing my 4 year old flippy buzzz. I'd buy a Buzzz SS. There's no need for cycling anymore unless you are restricted by a sponsor to throwing their plastic. And then $ isn't an issue.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I haven't paid for a DX roc in like 7 years and I have a bin full of them.

Also saying there is no need for cycling anymore is kinda dumb. I cycle everything, I cycle destroyers, preds, solfs, eagles, aviars. I'm not gonna carry 20 different molds, I'm gonna carry the 5-6 I know well and just cycle them.
Frank Delicious

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Drowsy wrote:I'm not arguing effectiveness. But getting what you're paying for seems far-fetched. And I wouldn't cry about losing my 4 year old flippy buzzz. I'd buy a Buzzz SS. There's no need for cycling anymore unless you are restricted by a sponsor to throwing their plastic. And then $ isn't an issue.

Coming from someone who cycled rocs for a while, or claimed to, this response doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've seen plenty of people get mad about losing their premium beat in midranges. After one or two times losing a beat in buzzz, they moved to carrying multiple molds (ie hornet, buzzz, meteor) so they wouldn't have to worry about it.

It all evens out in the end. I have tried going the premium midrange route. It didn't work well for me. It does work well for a lot of other people. The cost is a wash when you compare it in the long run. I feel a lot more comfortable having lots of rocs in different stages of wear than having to buy different molds and learn how they all fly. I would much rather get to know my discs as they age and I throw them a ton.

I also cycle pretty much everything in my bag, like frank said, for the same reasons.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I haven't paid for a DX roc in like 7 years and I have a bin full of them.

Also saying there is no need for cycling anymore is kinda dumb. I cycle everything, I cycle destroyers, preds, solfs, eagles, aviars. I'm not gonna carry 20 different molds, I'm gonna carry the 5-6 I know well and just cycle them.

Where do all your magic overstable rocs come from then? The tooth fairy?
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Drowsy wrote:Where do all your magic overstable rocs come from then? The tooth fairy?

Prize packs and players packs, homie. Winning plastic is pretty sweet.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dvlcek » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:17 pm

My favorite DX Roc currently in the bag has VictorB on the bottom. Thanks again for that beauty in some trade we must have done back in the day. Also have another one on the shelf from you waiting it's turn in the cycle.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Drowsy wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:I haven't paid for a DX roc in like 7 years and I have a bin full of them.

Where do all your magic overstable rocs come from then? The tooth fairy?

Like Victor said lots of players packs and winning them. For a while, I got a lot from playing random doubles around here, most of them paid out in plastic and the only good discs were dx aviars and rocs. That and every players pack around here includes a dx roc.
Frank Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment