Hyzer Flip Question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hyzer Flip Question

Postby kprestel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

This is just a quick question.

I can throw about 300-350 ft. I can throw with decent power. I can hyzer and anhyzer very well but the next shot I want to learn is the hyzer flip. The disc I want to flip is a beat in Avenger SS. But the question is how do I do it? I can hyzer with it but my question is do I pull back straight and throw as if I was throwing straghit but try to tilt the disc? or how do I do it?

Thanks
kprestel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Hyzer Flip Question

Postby bergdawg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

If you're throwing it with hyzer and it isn't flipping, it means you need a more under stable disc. And, no, you don't throw a hyzer flip different than a normal hyzer.
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Postby Flipflat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm

At 300'-350' an avenger ss should be flippy enough. My guess is that you're not getting the nose/wing down enough on your hyzers.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby itlnstln » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:55 am

Also, be sure you're not trying to throw something like a sweep hyzer. I can throw a Valk on a sweep hyzer line without flipping it (not a shot I would want to typically throw with a Valk, but whatever). The more you try to throw on a hard line-drive, the easier it is to hyzer-flip. This kinda goes in line with FlipFlat's post as throwing on a hard line-drive might help with keeping the nose down.

Once you get that, then the trick is to do the same thing with about 30'+ of height underneath it for more distance. Stretching that Valk or Avenger SS out to about 425'+ while your friends throw their Bosses and Nukes 300' is a real treat.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I doubt you're throwing 350 if you can't hyzer flip
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Hyzer Flip Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

ladysmanfelpz wrote:I doubt you're throwing 350 if you can't hyzer flip

It depends on the disc and not just power. I can't hyzerflip a new Teebird, but I can get it to 350'.

Back to the OP - try a less stable disc, and work on your form like others said. It's a beautiful flight to watch once you figure it out.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Hyzer flip is often a mechanics deal, not a power deal. It's only been in the past couple of years I've figured out that mechanic, and I can throw well past the OP.

Generally less stable is good. start a lot less stable then move up. Also, work on that punch as suggested. I can throw a hyzer with the most understable plastic imaginable. It takes changing your line to get the hyzerflip.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm

bergdawg wrote:If you're throwing it with hyzer and it isn't flipping, it means you need a more under stable disc. And, no, you don't throw a hyzer flip different than a normal hyzer.

Mostly all of your comment is a misconception by 99% of disc golfers

The hyzer flip is actually different than a regular hyzer. As a person develops their disc skill set you notice nose angles play a large factor. A nose up hyzer is completely different from nose flat/down. I can throw both with a flippy disc and not make it "flip"

A hyzer flip isn't an indication of power...same with turning it over. It means you have developed a new disc skill. Understanding it as a type of throw rather than a show of power(or flippy disc) is a huge step out of being an amateur level player.

That being said it is easier to learn on under stable discs

All my up shots(any flight type) are done with a trashed omega. Because I know I can throw everything from a spike hyzer to hyzer flip with it
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 pm

To the OP it's all about nose angles if you want to do it properly

A nose down hyzer is the easiest way with something like a Valk or JLS

Eventually you can throw nose up stall flips but that's a very advanced skill

Focus on getting the nose of the disc down while maintaining the hyzer

Then it's up to you to go learn. We all have different capabilities so i can't tell you exactly how I do it
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby kprestel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

thanks guys! I have been pretty busy so I havent gotten the chance to really work on it. thanks alot!
kprestel
Noob

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Yeah, get your thumb out toward the edge of the rim, throw fluid and relaxed hyzer trying to pull through on a straight line, then pinch hard and punch at the line you want it to fly at the very end of the release. It'll work!

Avenger SS is a hyzer flip disc, that's the shot it is designed for...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby garublador » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:23 am

This article might help you figure out what the difference is between throwing a pure hyzer and a hyzer flip:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... gles.shtml
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Technique