375' Anhyzer Shot / What Do You Throw

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 375' Anhyzer Shot / What Do You Throw

Postby dehaas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:33 pm

i don't know if this is cheating or not but i'd throw a c pd forehand at it, especially if it has to finish right. if i've got to throw a backhand probably an s td or beat up upper 160s tournament sword.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:39 pm

fd or mjls
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Jewdy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

STD
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby kern9787 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

P2, roc, QJLS, QOLS, PD.

The OLS and PD can both handle the shot, but which I pick depends on wind. Depending on the wind, I may feel more comfortable with a pred as well.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:02 am

We have a right-turning shot at DeLa (hole 20) that is like that, but with a canyon of death on the right and a line of medium-height to tall trees to clear along the edges of the fairway...fun stuff. I saw Gregg Barsby ace it with a big forehand shot last month. I think it's always better if you can find a disc that will hold a gentle forehand hyzer angle all the way to the basket at long distances, the PD is probably an excellent choice. Turn-overs that finish anhyzer are very touchy and difficult to control with great precision, especially in the wind, although some great players do manage to perform this kind of shot often and make it work (e.g., Masters World Champ Jon Baldwin, with his Z Avenger SS).

vto wrote:Assuming no elevation change, QOLS...

Elevation change between tee and basket isn't everything. I've thrown some shots (e.g., Napa Skyline) that were only ~300' and the tee and basket were perfectly level, but between was a deep ravine and a downdraft that made getting across to the basket damn near impossible.

Timko wrote:Hole #1 at Waterworks....It's got some elevation drop onto a pretty insane right to left slope while needing to work the shot left to right.

I loved watching this hole played on discgolfplanet.tv coverage of the NT this year. The large wavelength washboard topography is great, and the way the trees limit the lines, plus the fast sloping green, that's the kind of disc golf I like to play. Would love to play Waterworks some day.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby bcr123psu » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:05 am

Beat up 167g Star Valk
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby plex » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 am

I have the correct answer:

Gold Line River

its my go to for that exact shot
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby keltik » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 am

Leopard
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Forehand a stable destroyer

If that doesn't count I would throw my beat pro PD or star FD
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby victorb » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:26 pm

probably a worn in dx teebird.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm

What do I throw for a 375' anny? If it is a tight tunnel then a hope and a prayer.

Anhyzers are very difficult to control in terms of distance. If a disc turns perfectly it may glide out miraculously. If it turns just a hair too hard it may burn out early and go into a dirt bag roller. I have tried to flip drivers on 300 foot holes and found them (after considerable search) way, way long: without throwing hard or trying to make it glide far. As an aside, this is why I would rather try to push a midrange disc than scale back a driver for shorter anhyzers. Mids are much easier to control for distance, no matter the line.

Normally 375' is the outer limits of my controllable power. (Yeah, I'm getting old and losing distance. It pisses me off but it is true). 375' power for a straight shot will translate to more distance on an anny, IF and only IF, it is thrown well. So it really depends on how risky the shot is if I happen to miss the line. For a safer line either a broken in Z Tracker or Candy Rogue. For the risky line a beat up ESP Nuke. The safe shot is to throw with 350' power and hope for some extra glide. The risky line is to throw with 400' power (so for me, maximum power) knowing it may still get there even if the turn is less than perfect. If this shot turns too well then the strategy is to hope it hits a tree past the basket. But the perfect turn and glide is a very rare thing and even rarer still when thrown at full power.

Hole #15 on Hudson Mills Original (Ann Arbor, Michigan) Is a '375 anhyzer tunnel (for me as a rhfh player). If you are off the narrow fairway, you may lose your disc and more likely some skin. Once off the fairway you may not be able to pitch out to the fairway to save a 4. So it is a risky shot and I have earned my share of bogeys through the years. I also park it occasionally. I have never thrown a Nuke on this hole. It is just too risky. I can usually scrape out a par with a Rogue and I normally play it as safely as I can. But one day I might find myself in the hunt late in a tournament and pull out the Nuke.

Something I have learned by playing with good players is to drive more conservatively. Good players view a drive on the outer edge of the putting circle as a good drive. A poor player may view only a park job as a good drive and anything else as an error. So if my drive lands in the fairway but 35' short, on a risky driving hole, my drive has done its job. Now it is time for the blunt edged disc to do its job.

I remember playing regularly with Scott Martin, now retired, but one of the best lefties ever. Scott could putt. Scott hit 40' putts like most Pros hit 10 footers. He was so good on anhyzer tunnels because he was happy to bend his drive just enough so it kept in the fairway and left a long putt. On the same hole I tried to park the basket, massively increasing the chance it failed the tunnel. I may not learn fast but I do learn eventually.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

375' Anhyzer Shot / What Do You Throw

Postby Cavere » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 am

There are two shots like this in my home course. Depending on wind and the degree of bend it must finish to I will either:
Throw a crazy overstable flick forehand
Or throw rhbh one of the following depending on the shape of the throw- mamba, qk ll, or a beat in SR beast.

A beat in wraith was one of my go to for this shot. But the second one of these holes is near water and it stole my disk the other day...
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Postby plex » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Another option for an annhyzer at that distance would be a Westside sword.. 172g Tournament plastic.

I can throw my sword on a anny line and it never poops out it just holds it and finnishes right for MEGA distance annys
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:44 pm

flippy esp nuke RHBH; newish esp nuke RHFH
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby disclovin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

hey guys , this is my first post .. i just registered.. ive got this unmarked disc that i think is a millenium.. but whatever it is , this thing , when let go anhyzer, will stay going right and so flat n never ever even think about coming back on me.. its different then all my others
disclovin
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion beast

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment