The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2012 Edition.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2012 Edition.

Postby JR » Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 am

The good: I survived my first TD duty at SELL Student Games 2012. It is an international multisport (14 this year) university student sports event hosted by Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania in different years since 1928. 14 players out of whom 3 were ladies. Only Finns in attendance University of Tampere claiming all of the medals except silver in men for an Aalto University student.

The bad: I didn't get to play in the two days of the event.

The ugly: My back. Dunno if the upcoming forced rest makes things better or worse for the back. Usually moving is good for the back but i'll be operated so i may not be able to move much at all.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby inthedrift » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 am

Good: Had a pretty nice past week with two aces and some really nice shots, as well as some solid stretches of putting.

Bad: Played my first PDGA of the year today and shot horribly.

Ugly: My 2nd round. I took 4s on 9 of 18 holes. The course is not particularly long.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby DiscGolfDan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:37 am

The Good: While practicing driving at a local park last night I throw an XL dead straight about 300ft.

The Bad: At the end of the 300 ft drive my disc connected with the headlight of a truck who ran a stopsign and was speeding through town.

The Ugly: The the truck stopped, the passenger got out looked at the damage of her truck and yelled to us "You ain't gettin' your frisbee back you sons of bitches" then got in her truck and sped away.
masterbeato wrote:if you need to as a last resort, i really agree with the sniper idea, but paintball rifle, but instead fill the pellets with traces of syphilis, herpes, or pure magnesium citrate and have the worst case of diarrhea ever.
DiscGolfDan
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard Buzzz Viking

Postby vto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am

The Good: Got my first deuce in our weekly on a 450' flat hole on my home course. Put my drive to almost 430' on a perfect line to the basket, and sank the 23' putt. I was the only one to deuce it that day. :)

The Bad: On the final hole I pulled my throw a bit too much to the right and my last worn Roc glided all the way into the murky depths of a pond. Now I have no straight Rocs left :( (Good thing I have Comets, but it's just not quite the same..)

The Ugly: After the round some guys were throwing the Optimizer, and I wanted to demonstrate how to throw a disc like that by using extreme hyzer, trying to pull it as close to vertical as I could. The throw was good, but I pulled a muscle in my back and now it hurts too much to play :(
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Good: I played DG this weekend during great weather.

Bad: Left my RR comet on a teepad and walked back two minutes later and it was gone, no one seemed to know where it went. Sucks bad.

Ugly: Tried playing through a strained lat muscle and could barely play after the first round. Could barely putt today and missed a bunch of inside the circle putts due to the putting motion being super painful. Time to take a bunch of time off before worlds.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Good: Broke a long ace drought with an Anode at weekly dubs tonight. It was good for $100

Bad: Walking away with $20 because I agreed to split the pot four ways with the other dudes (they gave me $5 for metal mania) and paid $20 for a match play tourney this weekend.

Worse: Not winning doubles and loosing a perfectly seasoned sPD.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby sunspot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Good: Playind DG when I have the chance

Bad: Not playing DG when I have the chance.

Ugly: Priorities.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JTdisc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 am

Good: First birdie!

Bad: Spending way too much time looking around in the woods for my brand new Buzzz.

Ugly: After the round, taking a practice shot from the quite wide open 10th hole tee, only to have it go straight into the solitary tree on the fairway and stay there. Another 20 minutes of throwing rocks to knock it down.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby JR » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:41 am

Good: Bogey free -7 in 17 hole layout of Siltamäki, Helsinki in the morning. The way Jenkins grip thumb utilization helped in the dew with towel. Slippage became almost a non issue. Concentrating and playing like i would in a competition and using the towel each time made a huge swing in results. Hit the pin on #15.
Bad: 3 hours of sleep before 8 hours of work before the rounds. I wasn't concentrating that well with work, dew 56F and low expectations on the first round. I didn't count the score was something stupid like +3 or 5 or whatever. I didn't have a shot for one hole with the discs i carried.
Ugly: The first day at work with pain medication because this day was easy>pain all the way and on the course. I don't think the pain helped me focus. Wrist rolls, pain and fatigue messed up a few drives even on the second much better scoring round.

I don't know how to categorize this but there is a good side to having atypically good grip with Ibex and Sole and good grip with the Beast Pro 166. The whole arsenal i carried today. That bogey free -7 is my personal record and i botched two putts. And i don't putt with so little gliding putters normally. Knowing i'd be playing a little after 5AM i knew i had to bring grippy discs so it was an alternative and über minimalist bag. I knew i'd be tired so why haul a lot? There's room to improve in the score in an ideal round because i have reached a lot more holes and for some reason haven't birdied a hole this year that was a good percentage birdie hole last year. Harumph. Had i carried longer discs one more hole would be reachable. And now i'm being perfectionist greedy. I'm happy for a personal record with all the messing up too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 am

This is a weird post because it is partly predictive and on the other hand tells of another guy.

Good: Remains to be seen but mafa and i try to brave the conditions and we try to play a day marathon of DG on different courses not around us next week. Mafa sent me a picture about one basket and green and asked me if i recognized the course. The hell of it was that i did recognize Renny Gold correctly.

Bad: Neither of us have played a lot this season and i'm not 100 % now due to injuries and surgery. I recognized a course from a single picture in a country that i've never visited. Have i gone too far off the deep end?

Ugly: Me as usual. I injured myself in another day long DG marathon a while ago. My arm can't take everything apparently. Mafa lost a DGR Roc there and ain't sure about having left markings on the disc. Noob mistake shakes head... :lol:
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:04 am

Good:
My putting the second round of the tourney yesterday. Only missed one putt inside 30. And didn't have any outside of 30 during the second round. Also, went from 30th to 8th by shooting a halfway decent round.

Bad:
My putting during the first round

Ugly:
A couple of the holes on the course were completely stupid.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Monocacy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Good:
Lotsa things. Playing again after several months off. Working on a new throw that goes farther AND doesn’t hurt my shoulder. Played 27 at Seneca Creek and had a few crazy par-save upshots and long putts. Invented (I think) a variation on Wolf for three people.

Bad:
My partner and I both missed an easy 20-foot putt that would have won one of the holes.

Ugly:
Let’s just say I am not yet directionally consistent with my new throw . . .
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby HumanTF » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

The Good - Found a one of a kind transparent Buzzzz online. My very first time throwing it, I bounced off the chains and barely missed an ace.
The Bad - Lost that disc about 6 months later.
The Ugly - i wanna die
HumanTF
Noob

Favorite Disc: Giant

Postby JR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Good: FLX Buzz high s-curve 340' flat land no wind and 335' FH s-curve with FLX Surge SS (more lss than z Surge SS thus shorter) for personal records. Best no wind Buzzz D for me on flat ground and longest non roller FH ever. Now i got greedy to see where the longest discs would get me. I had nothing longer with me to see where i could get discs now that my elbow only hurts when throwing hard FH. 59F.

Bad: it has been raining and it was slippery and my buddy managed to not slip on the rocks but tore cabbage from the roots on a hill side and fell over. He hit his jaw on a root and bled minimally for a while.

Ugly: The swelling a round and a half later in his jaw.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Wyno » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Good: Got to pick out 3 sweet discs after winning an informal round today, 4 birdies due to the best driving I've done in a long time. Feeling pretty good about my basic form, at last.
Bad: Shaky putting form - missed 4 15-20 ft putts
Ugly: 6 bogeys today, most because I tried utterly stupid approaches and jump putts.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion