Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby DaPats » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 am

Just my opinion but ball and disc golf are not sports. They are games. Both require great techniques, being mentally strong, and having great repetition. Modern society has put mad money into golf with sponsors and advertisement to make it look like a sport. It's not. Disc golf is a new game with no money and no real sponsors but people want it to be like ball golf. Proper mechanics and tons of practice can bring anybody to the top of disc golf. The problem these days is that everything is a sport.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm

DaPats wrote:Just my opinion but ball and disc golf are not sports. They are games. Both require great techniques, being mentally strong, and having great repetition. Modern society has put mad money into golf with sponsors and advertisement to make it look like a sport. It's not. Disc golf is a new game with no money and no real sponsors but people want it to be like ball golf. Proper mechanics and tons of practice can bring anybody to the top of disc golf. The problem these days is that everything is a sport.
What definition of sport are you using? Merriam-Webster says (along others) a source of diversion (fits), (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in (fits), Dictionary.com says an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature (fits, especially with the "or"), and apparently the closest thing to an international agreement on the subject (SportAccord) says that a sport should:

have an element of competition (fits)
be in no way harmful to any living creature (in so far as any sport is...)
not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football) (fits)
not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport (fits)

For me it's a sport, since it's a physical activity (no matter what you have to use your body to throw the damn thing), with significant competitive aspects. How difficult it is is frankly irrelevant.

So what is your definition?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Ryan C » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:54 pm

jubuttib wrote:
DaPats wrote:Just my opinion but ball and disc golf are not sports. They are games. Both require great techniques, being mentally strong, and having great repetition. Modern society has put mad money into golf with sponsors and advertisement to make it look like a sport. It's not. Disc golf is a new game with no money and no real sponsors but people want it to be like ball golf. Proper mechanics and tons of practice can bring anybody to the top of disc golf. The problem these days is that everything is a sport.
What definition of sport are you using? Merriam-Webster says (along others) a source of diversion (fits), (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in (fits), Dictionary.com says an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature (fits, especially with the "or"), and apparently the closest thing to an international agreement on the subject (SportAccord) says that a sport should:

have an element of competition (fits)
be in no way harmful to any living creature (in so far as any sport is...)
not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football) (fits)
not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport (fits)

For me it's a sport, since it's a physical activity (no matter what you have to use your body to throw the damn thing), with significant competitive aspects. How difficult it is is frankly irrelevant.

So what is your definition?

He might have better luck arguing that while disc golf is a sport, the players are not necessarily athletes. I personally find this to be true. While some disc golfers are very athletic, I don't think being extremely athletic is requisite to play, unlike most mainstream sports. Of course many disc golfers will probably like thinking of themselves as athletes, but I believe it actually takes less physical prowess than going for a 2-hour hike. Nobody is going to convince me that someone like Brian Schweberger (sp?) is an athlete. Disc Golf is for sure a sport though. Pretty tough to argue that its not.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 pm

I think the main issue with comparing a level of athleticism is assuming each sport has the same requirements of athletic types. Football and basketball are built to breed athletes. The training regimens are well founded and stuff like 7-on-7 leagues produces year round football leading to better developed high schoolers.

Proper disc golf technique is taught by very few, and like .001% have a legit training regimen.

Elite athletes excel at football, basketball, and track/field because it requires certain levels of speed and strength. You have been told your entire life that elite athletes only exist when they are 6'4 and run a 4.2 40yd dash. ESPN has shaped what the perfect athlete is in your mind. They could easily portray any other sport skill set as being elite. I consider any person who excels at a game/sport to be a type of elite athlete. You are training parts of your body and mind to excel in an athletic manner.

Golf itself has been around longer than any other major sport you see on TV. Yet somehow the athletes found in basketball and football arent out winning majors. Certain people and body types excel at different sports. The view of what is "elite athlete" must be adjusted for each sport based on the skill set needed
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby veganray » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Ryan C wrote:Nobody is going to convince me that someone like Brian Schweberger (sp?) is an athlete.

Looks like a misplaced post. Mods, please move to the correct thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24629
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Ryan C wrote: Nobody is going to convince me that someone like Brian Schweberger (sp?) is an athlete. Disc Golf is for sure a sport though. Pretty tough to argue that its not.

hmmm yes a guy who was a star tennis player in college is not an athlete. Smart post. Keep up the good work
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby fore » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Ryan C wrote: Nobody is going to convince me that someone like Brian Schweberger (sp?) is an athlete. Disc Golf is for sure a sport though. Pretty tough to argue that its not.

Most people would consider a guy who played NCAA D-I tennis on a full scholarship to be an athlete, but you're entitled to your ignorant, wrong opinion.
fore
Noob

Favorite Disc: Phenix

Postby JHern » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:

hmmm yes a guy who was a star tennis player in college is not an athlete. Smart post. Keep up the good work

Yeah, tennis is pretty much the complete athletic package...speed, endurance, strength, finesse, strategy, hand-eye coordination, it has a bit of everything...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Ryan C » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Okay, well I don't have a handy Brian Schweberger bio with me. He may have once been very athletic, but these days he's obviously not in such good shape. You can replace his name with any pudgy guy who can still play good disc golf. DGR can be kind of a sensitive crowd....
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Disc Golf Live » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:47 am

Pudgy = no athlete? Tell the Bambino, many NFL linemen, and countless others who've excelled in "sports" they're not athletes. DGR is sensitive to stupid. Stupid is as stupid posts, to paraphrase another noted dummy.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby DaPats » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 am

^ dude I can't believe u brought up the Bambino from the early 1900's. That's a joke. You ever see him play? Plus NFL linemen have to weighttrain on a constent basis, are quick, and have a skill set that many do not in the NFL. It's a team sport. In sports, you have to physically train to become a pro. In disc golf, you just have to know how to throw a disc with proper mechanics.

How about a true athletic disc golf specimen, the worlds champ from last year, Nate Doss.

Disc golf is not an athletic game.
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 am

I think your little rant on nfl lineman proved disc requires athletic ability. If a lineman can train his body and still be fat, yet you consider him athletic...then wouldn't doss be in the same boat?
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby DaPats » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 am

Nope. Like I said before. You don't have to be an athlete to be a champ or win a major in disc or ball golf. It takes proper mechanics to perfect your swing through tons of practice. That's why they are both games. It's you against the course, against yourself mentally, and knowbody else.

In sports you train physically in many different ways most your life trying to get to the top. In disc and ball golf it's all about repetition trying to perfect that perfect swing and putt. That's what most the people here preach all the time, proper mechanics. Thats what they preach in ball golf, proper mechanics. We discuss to discuss.
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 am

You are an idiot

And a terrible troll

Every sport requires repetition. That's what builds the muscle. Quarterbacks are just as athletic as most of the top disc and ball golfers. Same with pitchers. They all have a singular mental approach like golfers. So somehow that makes them more athletic because they play in a team environment? Don't think so. You can point out "fat" disc golfers as proof but you are ignoring the other athletes who are actually maintaining a healthy training routine in order to get a competitive advantage in disc golf
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby bergdawg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 pm

zj1002 wrote:Quarterbacks are just as athletic as most of the top disc and ball golfers.

How many quarterbacks smoke as many cigarettes as Dave Feldberg or Ken Climo?
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion