Artificially breaking in discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Artificially breaking in discs

Postby maskedavenger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:01 am

What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Artificially breaking in discs

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

maskedavenger wrote:What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
Brick walls might cause too much denting. For a more natural and even wear I recommend throwing thumbers. Lots of thumbers. Or spike hyzers. Even a grassy field will do but a dirt one is quicker.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby BLURR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 am

For Star/ESP/Champ/Z...spike hyzer's and skip shots in a cement parking lot works for me.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 pm

chain link fence. the smooth or rubber coated kind. i throw my new drivers into a backstop a number of times if i need to wear them in a bit.

you can also just bang the disc on concrete and then place it flat and sand the bottom a bit. but i find anyone who does with their disc changes it too quickly and usually ends up ruining/abandoning the disc shortly after.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby maskedavenger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 am

jubuttib wrote:
maskedavenger wrote:What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
Brick walls might cause too much denting. For a more natural and even wear I recommend throwing thumbers. Lots of thumbers. Or spike hyzers. Even a grassy field will do but a dirt one is quicker.

Okay, I'll just keep on doing that then. Just wanted to know if there's a better idea. The grassy field where I train distance does nothing to them, but there's a sand field right next door. Tomahawk time!

Thanks everybody.
maskedavenger
Noob

Postby backflip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 am

ive had some success with just driving point blank into a pea gravel pit that was used for landscaping. it tended to spread the hit out a bit. i wanted to see what a beat esp force would fly like and i did not hate the results.
backflip
Noob

Favorite Disc: esp comet

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 pm

play a few rounds using only the disc you want to break in it will break it in faster.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

This is something that I hate doing. You want a disc beat in, but you don't want to throw it till its beat in. So it sits in your bag for months getting a toss every now and then.

What I have been doing recently is just straight spiking it in dirt or grass while waiting for friends to show up to the course. And I don't do spike hyzers or anything. I just spike it straight down. A newer pro pd got to the perfect flippy stability I wanted in one day of this and throwing extra shots with it.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:52 pm

A buzzz and a beer wrote:This is something that I hate doing. You want a disc beat in, but you don't want to throw it till its beat in. So it sits in your bag for months getting a toss every now and then.
That's why I only throw discs that I like both when they're new and when they're seasoned. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby maskedavenger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:47 am

Good point. FYI the discs I'm wearing in are S-PD (just in case I lose my current nicely beat one) and P-PD (did already lose the beat P-PD I had).

I might also shop around for a fast understable disc for long anhyzers (like the Roadrunner f.ex.) or start beating a C-TD that I have lying around (was a dye project). More likely the latter, I'm not into buying new molds that much anymore.
maskedavenger
Noob

Return to Equipment