Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Level of athleticism of disc golfers

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Just because they can't smoke on the field doesn't mean they don't smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes have nothing to do with proving athleticism

come on. keep bringing up pointless reasons why disc golf doesnt have athletes
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Imo the difference in sport and game is the level at which you try and compete.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby mzuleger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't think of DGers as athletes... same for bodybuilders (another group of people that tend to call themselves athletes).

I'm not saying people from either group aren't athletic, just that I don't consider them athletes simply because they participate in either. Then again the Merriam-Webster definition leaves it open for almost anyone to be an athlete: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina - There's a lot of gray area there because it kind of leaves it open to what each person considers strength. agility or stamina.... i mean some people may think it requires strength and stamina to play old maid... in which case, that are an athlete.

Just throwing my opinion out there... everyone is welcome to their own.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby DaPats » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

zj1002 you can call me whatever you want. I could care less. I stated that it was my opinion and I am sticking to it. The problem is that there are people like you who can not take or understand where other people are coming from and start calling them an idiot and troll. Really? Is this your message board? Nobody can have their own opinions for themselves? Grow up and learn how to discuss a subject like a man.

Why couldn't Brock Lesner make the NFL? Why didn't Jordan become a pro baseball player? You think our top pros could make it any other sport at the drop of a hat even with a coach or teacher? Disc golf is an easy game to learn if you have the time to practice and have the right teacher teaching you the right mechanics. Good day sir.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

DaPats wrote:Why couldn't Brock Lesner make the NFL? Why didn't Jordan become a pro baseball player? You think our top pros could make it any other sport at the drop of a hat even with a coach or teacher? Disc golf is an easy game to learn if you have the time to practice and have the right teacher teaching you the right mechanics. Good day sir.

because the didn't spend their entire life training for the sport

Lesnar excelled at MMA because he was a wrestler(and huge). same with Jordan, sure he played baseball growing up but he trained more for basketball

Your view of what an athlete is is very close minded to me. That is why I called you an idiot. I understand you won't change your view. Athletes train their body and mind.

The only people I know who don't respect the athletic abilities required for other sports are generally ex-pro/college football and basketball players. They are taught that they are the only type of elite athlete and generally look down at other athletes
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby bergdawg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm

zj1002 wrote:Just because they can't smoke on the field doesn't mean they don't smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes have nothing to do with proving athleticism

come on. keep bringing up pointless reasons why disc golf doesnt have athletes

Smoking a pack a day and being at the top of your sport might say something.
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm

SMOKE
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JHern » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:41 pm

zj1002 wrote:I think your little rant on nfl lineman proved disc requires athletic ability. If a lineman can train his body and still be fat, yet you consider him athletic...then wouldn't doss be in the same boat?

Trust me, Doss isn't fat. And neither are most NFL linemen...only the gut makes them look pudgy but is just an artifact of their carb-rich diet engineered for them by the team physicians...underneath is hard muscle and gristle earned after hours per day in the weight room (which is where the carbs do a lot of good). Flubby flabby puffball fatties wouldn't last a micro-second on the line, and neither would they make good disc golfers.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

yeah I know Jhern, I was just rolling along with what the guy gave me.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Of course I didn't mean to offend anyone, and not Schweberger in particular. But I think the point I was trying to make is out there. I think Mark Ellis said it well earlier in this thread. Basically, could all pro disc golfers become good basketball players? Probably not. Could all pro basketball players become good disc golfers? Almost definitely.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby bergdawg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:04 pm

JHern wrote:
zj1002 wrote:I think your little rant on nfl lineman proved disc requires athletic ability. If a lineman can train his body and still be fat, yet you consider him athletic...then wouldn't doss be in the same boat?

Trust me, Doss isn't fat. And neither are most NFL linemen...only the gut makes them look pudgy but is just an artifact of their carb-rich diet engineered for them by the team physicians...underneath is hard muscle and gristle earned after hours per day in the weight room (which is where the carbs do a lot of good). Flubby flabby puffball fatties wouldn't last a micro-second on the line, and neither would they make good disc golfers.

Been feelin' up Doss, or taking pictures of him without his shirt on when he's not looking?
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:18 pm

bergdawg wrote:
JHern wrote:

Been feelin' up Doss, or taking pictures of him without his shirt on when he's not looking?

Just some gay orgy action...

I love how you elevate the dialogue Berg, and add so much useful content, you must have come here from DGCR, that shining beacon of enlightenment and wisdom that all of us here at DGR admire so very much?

bergdawg wrote:
zj1002 wrote:Just because they can't smoke on the field doesn't mean they don't smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes have nothing to do with proving athleticism...

It is indeed very odd that PDGA is so image-conscious, but they still refuse to ban cigarette smoking during competitions (with only the exception of majors). For many potential sponsors, TV networks, media outlets, etc., the second they see Feldberg light up a smoke during a round, they're gone. And with all due respect, the same goes for the Champ, although he does try his best to be discreet. How is anyone with deep pockets and the extreme image-consciousness that comes along with that ever going to take disc golf seriously when the top players are chimneys? All it takes is for somebody to say "how can I show disc golf to my kids when those guys are smoking all the time?" and the sponsors are gone...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby bergdawg » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 pm

JHern wrote:
bergdawg wrote:
JHern wrote:

Just some gay orgy action...

I love how you elevate the dialogue Berg, and add so much useful content, you must have come here from DGCR, that shining beacon of enlightenment and wisdom that all of us here at DGR admire so very much?
I started the thread, biatch. That knowledge you drop to the 15 people that come on here is very insightful. Would you like to be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize?

bergdawg wrote:
zj1002 wrote:Just because they can't smoke on the field doesn't mean they don't smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes have nothing to do with proving athleticism...

It is indeed very odd that PDGA is so image-conscious, but they still refuse to ban cigarette smoking during competitions (with only the exception of majors). For many potential sponsors, TV networks, media outlets, etc., the second they see Feldberg light up a smoke during a round, they're gone. And with all due respect, the same goes for the Champ, although he does try his best to be discreet. How is anyone with deep pockets and the extreme image-consciousness that comes along with that ever going to take disc golf seriously when the top players are chimneys? All it takes is for somebody to say "how can I show disc golf to my kids when those guys are smoking all the time?" and the sponsors are gone...

Image conscious? Yeah, Budweiser really gives a fuck about if you smoke or not. Your understanding of business is not very good. Businesses will spend money on disc golf if it makes them money. It's funny that people think there's going to be some magic cash donkey that's going to shit huge pay days. There's not a lot of money in disc golf. No one wants to watch it other than other disc golfers. It's a pretty limited audience to advertise to.
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

magic cash donkey, that's funny.

yeah disc golf isn't very interesting to non DGers. Golf (ball & stick) isn't very interesting to watch either but it has "prestige".
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

DG will NEVER be taken seriously. Some athletes may play DG, but playing DG sure as shit doesn't make you one. Now that we got that out of the way, any other burning debates that need closure?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion