Artificially breaking in discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Artificially breaking in discs

Postby maskedavenger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:01 am

What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Artificially breaking in discs

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

maskedavenger wrote:What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
Brick walls might cause too much denting. For a more natural and even wear I recommend throwing thumbers. Lots of thumbers. Or spike hyzers. Even a grassy field will do but a dirt one is quicker.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby BLURR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 am

For Star/ESP/Champ/Z...spike hyzer's and skip shots in a cement parking lot works for me.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 pm

chain link fence. the smooth or rubber coated kind. i throw my new drivers into a backstop a number of times if i need to wear them in a bit.

you can also just bang the disc on concrete and then place it flat and sand the bottom a bit. but i find anyone who does with their disc changes it too quickly and usually ends up ruining/abandoning the disc shortly after.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby maskedavenger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 am

jubuttib wrote:
maskedavenger wrote:What ways to wear in discs that are too stable, thus do not make it into the bag, and thus don't break in the natural way from tree/stone hits? Drive them into a brick wall??
Brick walls might cause too much denting. For a more natural and even wear I recommend throwing thumbers. Lots of thumbers. Or spike hyzers. Even a grassy field will do but a dirt one is quicker.

Okay, I'll just keep on doing that then. Just wanted to know if there's a better idea. The grassy field where I train distance does nothing to them, but there's a sand field right next door. Tomahawk time!

Thanks everybody.
maskedavenger
Noob

Postby backflip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 am

ive had some success with just driving point blank into a pea gravel pit that was used for landscaping. it tended to spread the hit out a bit. i wanted to see what a beat esp force would fly like and i did not hate the results.
backflip
Noob

Favorite Disc: esp comet

Postby money 21 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 pm

play a few rounds using only the disc you want to break in it will break it in faster.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

This is something that I hate doing. You want a disc beat in, but you don't want to throw it till its beat in. So it sits in your bag for months getting a toss every now and then.

What I have been doing recently is just straight spiking it in dirt or grass while waiting for friends to show up to the course. And I don't do spike hyzers or anything. I just spike it straight down. A newer pro pd got to the perfect flippy stability I wanted in one day of this and throwing extra shots with it.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:52 pm

A buzzz and a beer wrote:This is something that I hate doing. You want a disc beat in, but you don't want to throw it till its beat in. So it sits in your bag for months getting a toss every now and then.
That's why I only throw discs that I like both when they're new and when they're seasoned. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby maskedavenger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:47 am

Good point. FYI the discs I'm wearing in are S-PD (just in case I lose my current nicely beat one) and P-PD (did already lose the beat P-PD I had).

I might also shop around for a fast understable disc for long anhyzers (like the Roadrunner f.ex.) or start beating a C-TD that I have lying around (was a dye project). More likely the latter, I'm not into buying new molds that much anymore.
maskedavenger
Noob

Return to Equipment