Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My badness in all of its video glory.

Postby tjh0188 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Re: My badness in all of its video glory.

Postby JR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:45 am

The video was very choppy with only a few pictures per second so i can't say much. It seemed like you were flat footed. You didn't reach away from the target and your upper body turned with the leg motions only. In order to generate all the power you can you need to twist the hips so that the torso faces to the right of the knees and turn the shoulders even more right of the upper torso before the elbow starts to straighten out. Couldn't see more sorry.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tjh0188 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Anything is helpful! Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 am

First things first, take all of JR's advice then maybe supplement with mine. He knows more than I do. Check out this thread (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21385) and some of the diagrams illustrated. Notice how the disc is pulled through on a straight line from reach back to the hit. You are rounding the whole time, making more of an arc with the disc rather than a straight line. Here is a good little gif that shows what path the disc should take:

Note the shoulder position and how they face back towards the reach back then square when the disc is pulled to the right peck, then and only then do they start to open more. Your feet and posture looks pretty good.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby tjh0188 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah my footwork is what I've been focusing on the most lately. I think slowing my reachback down some will help me to keep from rounding and let me focus on it a bit more. The way I've been going about it lately is I've been visualizing that I'm running past a pole, I grab onto it, then I let my plant foot swing out towards my shot and bring everything forward as my throwing arm comes to full extension from grabbing that pole and running past it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 pm

That is exactly what many here have imagined stopping the disc in place while the rest of the body moves forward with good results. Slowing down is always good for form improvements.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tjh0188 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Broke 350 with a pair of wraiths the other day. 168g pro and 170g star. Tried to do it again today and all went well. Threw flat and they turned over for a while then started fading back with about 50ft left. Next years goal is 400!
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 am

Imagine what you can do in the summer time because cooler weather shortens the drives. Congratulations!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tjh0188 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:55 am

It should be noted that the star wraith is awfully beat and the pro is mildly seasoned. The pro was the lowest parting line in a gigantic stack of them at walmart. So both are fairly less stable than the majority of wraiths. In comparison I have a 171 p DD that doesn't turn over at all and holds the line in zero wind.
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 am

DDs have less glide and are a little more HSS and LSS than the Wraiths.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tjh0188 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:25 pm

The dd is still quite new, I'm hoping it will season into just a bit of high speed turn. The courses around me don't have many holes where I need super fast drivers though :(
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:18 am

A Pro Wraith would break in faster and start out less overstable.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tjh0188 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:15 am

man, going back and watching these videos is eye opening. the one where i'm facing the camera looks like i'm getting no snap or acceleration at all lol. all the hours watching pros like nikko, will, and cale. its a whole different ballgame!
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby tjh0188 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Went out for a bit of practice the other night. Had one drive that just felt magical! Felt a lot like schustericks follow through looks with my non plant foot following through up in the air. I nearly felt like I was gonna fall over lol.

Got some distance practice and some putting in. Going out sunday to a pretty wooded course to work on my short game and try out my new opto fuse.
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby tjh0188 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 pm

pretty nice day for some golf today. took another quick video. only one 400+ drive in this reel (the first toss) but i had a few more during our round. had a 15-20mph tailwind gusting for us as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-_m0UOhUYw
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique