Disc flight path issues

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc flight path issues

Postby kaminski728 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 pm

My issue is that for some reason when I either throw my Star Orc or Star SL disc they glide all the way to right and than hook left I throw RHBH. But when I try to switch my discs for example Im trying out a Star Destroyer but that one just goes half the distance and just hooks left off the launch. I just dont know what my problem is when I throw my drivers.
kaminski728
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Orc

Re: Disc flight path issues

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:11 am

A video may explain the situation better now it is guesswork. One issue may be finger strength. The Destroyer has a wider heavier wing that may overpower your squeezing strength. Could you add more squeezing earlier to eliminate early slips as a cause? Another explanation could be the speed difference. The Destroyer needs more spin and speed to not fade out early being two classes faster than the other discs. Another issue is the high speed stability, low speed same and apex height of the throw. You may have odd specimens or some of them might be worn to flip more than usual. Odd discs can be mutant overstable too. If you throw low and your power is enough to keep even mild annies from flexing with Orcs and SLs you could throw higher to get them to flex out of the anny and fade. If you lack power to handle the Destroyer at current height can you drop the height?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby kaminski728 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 am

I am not really sure what you mean when you say to drop the height.
kaminski728
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Orc

Postby keltik » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 am

I think he meant to say weight. weight and height are only different by one letter and I'm not sure how those two letters are juxtaposed on the Finnish keyboard layout. But he was suggesting you try a lighter weight Destroyer.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm

There's over 3" between the H and the W on my laptop. I did mean that if you can you should throw the Destroyer lower because that helps in eliminating throwing nose up which multiplies air resistance and that keeps the speed up. Thus you may be able to avoid stalling. The faster the disc the lower you need to throw it if glide and the fade are the same. Because the fade is the problem bringing the Destroyer down early and left the fade problem is even more crucial to solve. Of course you could try a lighter Destroyer but honestly there are other discs that fly farther depending on the available power. The real answer is to add power and there a video would help because if there is something to improve in your technique that will help for the rest of time and open up new possibilities.

Blizzzard Destroyers even in under 140 grams are power hungry monsters so that doesn't help. What the best disc for straighter distance is depends on how far you throw right now. Discs that are long for their speed and power requirement are River, Beast, pro Katana, properly shaped King (tall dome VIP plastic without droop in the outside edge mid 160s) and light Blizzzards in other molds than the Destroyer weight matched to your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique