What driver do you throw for distance into the wind?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What driver do you throw for distance into the wind?

Postby Pwingles » Fri May 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Ive been throwing the force for this for a long time and it is perfect. However i am testin the S PD2 and so far its pretty nice
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 pm

victorb wrote:Honestly, if I'm really worried about the wind, I don't throw for distance, but for control/placement. So then I use my overstable workhorse predator, or if it's really breezy my flat top predator. The predator, for me, is good for 340-375' in pretty much any conditions.

If I'm throwing for distance and the wind is blowing a little, ie where I'm not uncomfortable with it, I'm probably still using a 158 blizzard destroyer.

Control is where its at. As a forehander, strong headwinds are scary. So for me Z Talons or the new Ti Nukes are very strong.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
victorb wrote:Honestly, if I'm really worried about the wind, I don't throw for distance, but for control/placement. So then I use my overstable workhorse predator, or if it's really breezy my flat top predator. The predator, for me, is good for 340-375' in pretty much any conditions.

If I'm throwing for distance and the wind is blowing a little, ie where I'm not uncomfortable with it, I'm probably still using a 158 blizzard destroyer.

Control is where its at. As a forehander, strong headwinds are scary. So for me Z Talons or the new Ti Nukes are very strong.

i have been throwing a z flick in the wind as well as a beefy z surge that I have.

Mark share more about the ti nukes please. Is there any plan to make a ti surge?
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby CatPredator » Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 am

limonsock wrote:So right now I'm thinking grab a fresh predator (z again? suggestions?) and a cpd2.
Also focus on keeping the nose down. I feel that this has got to be a big factor for me because the disc starts off cruising and then drops out of the sky. I'm not turning it over too much; it just seems to stop and fall.

If you were throwing nose up into a headwind, your disc would be going sky high. It seems more likely that you aren't accounting for the crosswind component of the wind. If crosswinds hit the top of your disc, it's going to get pushed straight down. Head/cross winds are really tricky.

For straight headwinds I just throw something overstable like a Force.

R>L headwinds are tricky because [for a RHBH thrower] the crosswind wants to stable out your disc and push it way left if you throw a hyzer, and push it down if you throw an anhyzer. I'll usually throw something slightly understable, like a Nuke or beat Destroyer, on a hyzer. It's a tricky balancing act, and it involves a little guesswork on estimating the direction and speed of the wind, but it's how I get the best distance and the most consistent line shaping ability in R>L headwinds. The high speed turn on the disc works against the crosswind and it keeps the disc straight. Of course when downhill elevation is factor, this becomes a lot trickier because if your disc turns too much it can go terminal and fly way off line to the right instead of just getting pushed down into the ground (but still pretty much on line) on a flat or uphill shot.

L>R headwinds are easier and I do pretty much the same thing as straight headwinds. Throw something overstable like a Pred or Force either flat or on a slight anhyzer.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat May 19, 2012 4:01 pm

money 21 wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:

i have been throwing a z flick in the wind as well as a beefy z surge that I have.

Mark share more about the ti nukes please. Is there any plan to make a ti surge?

From what I have heard the only new molds planned for Ti are the Wasp, Nuke and Force. I would guess their popularity will have a lot to do with the decision whether release more Ti's.

The Ti Nukes were protos release to the Team. They fall between Z Nukes and Nuke OS's in stability, so very strong but not crazy strong like an OS. For me, the OS is too overstable to be useful. I just don't have the power to straighten an OS out. The Ti Nuke is very useful, though, and has a spot in the bag for headwind duty. I have heard that Discraft may tweak the Ti Nuke to make it more user friendly (less overstable) for most players. If so I hope they still produce the Ti's in their current form.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:17 pm

how is the glide on the ti nuke. i throw x and esp the glide the hae has beat out other molds for the distance spot in my bag.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby hyzerhook » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 am

I throw a new Echo Star Destroyer with a hyzer, and let it stand up flat.
hyzerhook
Noob

Favorite Disc: shark

Postby JR » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Of boy i guess this will cost me money. Mark is the second guy today to whom i respond who have 666 posts at this time. So the devilish plot by Dicraft is to relieve me of my money by forcing me to get a current Ti Nuke for headwind D? I haven't browsed the stores but are they available somewhere and how is their headwind fighting vs a Z Force (my goto headwind driver)? How about the distance of a Ti Nuke without winds vs a domey enough Z/ESP Nuke that it ain't flippy? IME PLH doesn't matter if a Nuke lacks dome. Flat Nukes are flip machines.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 am

I throw my high parting line Quasar. It fights headwinds very well.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby JR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

Mine seems more overstable than the ones for most and it is good for fairly stiff steady headwinds. It doesn't take gusts as well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment