MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 pm

They have a finally revealed their new driver, but as far as I know there is no release date. Apparently also making its debut is a new plastic which basically looks like their old opaque stuff. Since no one posts on this forum, I thought I'd go ahead and be the one to mention it. I'm excited. The all MVP bag is coming closer and closer to being possible.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby JHern » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Ryan C wrote:...The all MVP bag is coming closer and closer to being possible.

Great news! I think people on this board will be very excited.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 am

always had a preference for the opaque plastic.

The Volt distance driver is capable of holding long dependable lines with a slow, forward-penetrating fade. Its aerodynamic profile is optimized for long, accurate placement shots. The driver’s weight is transferred to the very outer rim with a unique GYRO™ design, substantially increasing the disc’s gyroscopic property. With GYRO™-optimized performance on both distance and powered-down lines, just reach for the Volt.

really hope this ends up flying like a teebird.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby JR » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 am

Blechh i'd rather see people throwing Teebirds for TB shots and the volt to be less gliding than their previous discs to avoid missing far to the side per each degree of deviation from intended. And i hope that the Volt is straight unlike the Teebird. Which is straightish until the finish sets in too hard for tighter spots. The world is full of slightly to moderately hard finishing discs but more than TB HSS for wind fighting and much less HSS without super glide (River and FD already cover that) would make a disc easy to place reliably in all conditions. If power control is mastered and the disc ain't too slick in the rain or cold.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 am

It's funny how different our experiences with TBs can be, mine (DX, Champ and Echostar) have all flown straight and landed flat unless I really aired them out (and if shooting for distance even then, hard to get them to fade on a 400' throw), apart from the ones that were really beat or one freak that was more overstable than a Firebird.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby victorb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:57 am

jubuttib wrote:It's funny how different our experiences with TBs can be, mine (DX, Champ and Echostar) have all flown straight and landed flat unless I really aired them out (and if shooting for distance even then, hard to get them to fade on a 400' throw), apart from the ones that were really beat or one freak that was more overstable than a Firebird.

I've thrown teebirds more than any other driver I've ever carried, and agree with you here. They don't skip or fade super hard unless you manipulate the flight to do so, in pretty much all plastics. The only exception was the new run champ glow teebird (cfr) that I had, it was between a teebird and domey predator in terms of overstability.

Back on topic of the Volt - I probably will never throw it, but having a strong scientific background, I can certainly appreciate the direction they are going with their disc names :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby sunspot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 am

JR wrote:Blechh i'd rather see people throwing Teebirds for TB shots and the volt to be less gliding than their previous discs to avoid missing far to the side per each degree of deviation from intended. And i hope that the Volt is straight unlike the Teebird. Which is straightish until the finish sets in too hard for tighter spots. The world is full of slightly to moderately hard finishing discs but more than TB HSS for wind fighting and much less HSS without super glide (River and FD already cover that) would make a disc easy to place reliably in all conditions. If power control is mastered and the disc ain't too slick in the rain or cold.

The TB is straight, straighter (lands with less fade) in dx when slightly beat.

The specs have been closer to a SL. In comparison to a longer TB, the Starfire-X is suppose to fit that bill. Judging by the profile of the Volt on MVP's page, the profile looks more like an "L"- mold like a SL, which would lead me to believe that there is going to be some turn during the HSS portion of it's flight (assuming the profile is correct). Keeping the rim width out of the 1.7-1.9 range is good for MVP because the market is already saturated with good molds in these ranges. Making it a 2.0 puts it more in the realm of distance drivers and away from tweeners. I think that is a good for us who want a longer disc without feeling like we have to borrow monkey fingers to do so.

I think the rim width will be comfortable enough without it being too cumbersome. The gyro will help it go further yielding greater distances ( I assume) than those that are in the same width category. Overall, I think this is a good combination of things making this driver seem promising. Will it be any good and live up to the hype? I'm curious to see.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 am

Great another disc from MVP that will be hard to land where you want it to. :\
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Pwingles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 am

Omg omg omg another MVP product for people to swoon at for months. (sarcasm face)
At least here the madness will be relatively contained, on dgcr it'll be at least 5-10 new threads a day, not looking forward to it....

MVP, please make a plastic thats easier to play with in all weather conditions... Then i will like your stuff again
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Joz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 am

Pwingles wrote:MVP, please make a plastic thats easier to play with in all weather conditions... Then i will like your stuff again

Did you see their announcement about Neutron plastic? Hopefully that will be grippier. That is the biggest reason why my MVP discs are in the closet and not my bag.

On a side note, where is Discspeed? I figured by now he would have already given us a review :)
Joz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am

I don't know how anyone can keep MVP stuff in their bag with that plastic. You would have to keep a separate bag in your car for if it is to hot, cold, wet, dry, or almost anything in between.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 am

I really don't have a problem throwing an anode in anything except pretty heavy rain.

I will try this disc out but it will be competing against the two most ingrained discs in the bag, the eagle and the pred so it is gonna need to step it's game up to get in.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Pwingles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 am

Joz wrote:
Pwingles wrote:MVP, please make a plastic thats easier to play with in all weather conditions... Then i will like your stuff again

Did you see their announcement about Neutron plastic? Hopefully that will be grippier. That is the biggest reason why my MVP discs are in the closet and not my bag.

On a side note, where is Discspeed? I figured by now he would have already given us a review :)

Yes. Most people seem to thinks its just the opaque proton plastic renamed, im not sure tho
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I really don't have a problem throwing an anode in anything except pretty heavy rain.

This.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Pwingles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am

I haz drai handz
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster