MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby sunspot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am

rusch_bag wrote:I don't know how anyone can keep MVP stuff in their bag with that plastic. You would have to keep a separate bag in your car for if it is to hot, cold, wet, dry, or almost anything in between.

I could see that with their putters (strictly putting), but I don't know about their mids. Seems like using their mids would be comparable to using a champion/Z disc.

Frank Delicious wrote:I really don't have a problem throwing an anode in anything except pretty heavy rain.

I will try this disc out but it will be competing against the two most ingrained discs in the bag, the eagle and the pred so it is gonna need to step it's game up to get in.

I don't any overlap if you decided to add this to your bag.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 am

I've used the same medium discs all year around, only adding a soft one in the winter for backup. Keeping my hands warm and blowing into them is enough to make them feel nice in pretty much any conditions. Heavy rain is tougher, but it's tough for any plastic. A good towel, or two, is your best friend.

Really wondering about that new plastic. They're saying it's a new blend, but it's hard to see what it could offer since the current one is about the most durable premium plastic I know, and isn't particularly slippery in my opinion. And they've said many times that the clear ones are the same plastic as the old opaque ones, just the colorant changed.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I was imagining that it could be something a little bit like Star plastic or whatever. A little bit more gummy than a medium, but a little firmer than a soft, perhaps. I would be happy with something like that. I honestly wish they had something in between.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby plex » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:10 pm

they need a chalky plastic for their putters
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:54 pm

plex wrote:they need a chalky plastic for their putters
Yep. Though knowing MVP, what they really need is a chalky plastic that will mold up as consistently as their premium plastic ones, which is a heck of a tall order.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:03 pm

rusch_bag wrote:I don't know how anyone can keep MVP stuff in their bag with that plastic. You would have to keep a separate bag in your car for if it is to hot, cold, wet, dry, or almost anything in between.

Do you not have any champ/z plastic in your bag?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Champ/Z is like a disc with pine tar on it compared to MVPs shit in the rain/snow. Its like trying to throw wet glass.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Not really.

Looks like they got the weight down to 168g.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:40 pm

I could be wrong, but since the core and the overmold become chemically fused during the molding, I think it may not be as simple as a new core material. Its possible that they would need a new overmold material also, since not all plastics will blend. They have to be from the same family. A baseline plastic would be nice though, so I might be able to actually putt with MVP products.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 pm

My DX TBs have become hyzer flippers when they've broken in to straightish. So what' the advantage to an out of the box straightish FW? Plenty of those around. In headwinds Champ and Star TBs flip for me. At least the swirly gusting winds here by the sea side do that. Too much LSS for tunnels with the TB.

2.0 wing does skirt around much of the competition and at those speeds there is less competition but River and FD are long for their speed. FD fades more than the River. My only FD also flipped more than Rivers. so it will be interesting to see the LSS and HSS compared to the D of the other discs. The role is to be determined by those characteristics and if there is a lot of glide in their previous discs. If it glides a lot it is gonna be a distance disc unless it beats the PD in powering down. Something that Gyro may help with. If it doesn't glide a lot but also doesn't flip or fade hard it can be a great FW as long as you have distance control.

Blowing to the fingers doesn't help in the rain and for me not in the cold either with medium plastic. Even soft is iffy in the winter in drives. The need to have a loose grip for fast enough arm stroke in a putt also gets dicey grip wise in the rain and cold. Using a towel in the rain all the time dries the skin even more by sucking out skin grease which sucks for those of us with dry skin.

My brother threw my Opto Pure into a tree getting pine tar on the disc. There was dew on the ground so the disc was wet and i had to be careful with the grip until i gripped the tar. Solution. Way better grip than any plastic or rubber in a disc ever.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:13 am

rusch_bag wrote:Great another disc from MVP that will be hard to land where you want it to. :\

This means you suck.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby discspeed » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 am

I think this driver is going to be in the PD category. Despite it's rim width it looks blunter nosed than the PD which could make it fly a similar speed. This is really what I'm hoping anyway.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby UnitedPuppySlayer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 am

Pwingles wrote:On a side note, where is Discspeed? I figured by now he would have already given us a review :)

We haven't gotten the discs yet. Nor will they tell us (or me at least) when they will send them. They aren't even sure what they are going to charge for Neutron plastic yet...

discspeed wrote:I think this driver is going to be in the PD category. Despite it's rim width it looks blunter nosed than the PD which could make it fly a similar speed. This is really what I'm hoping anyway.

This is what I've come to also. Hopefully as HSS as the rest of their discs are and a nice gentle fade.
UnitedPuppySlayer
Noob

Postby JHern » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Has it even been submitted to PDGA?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Varsi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 am

JHern wrote:Has it even been submitted to PDGA?

Yes. Approved.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment