lost disc with a twist

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

lost disc with a twist

Postby Itchy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am

Hypothetical.

If a player 3 putts, gets pissed and throws their disc into a poison oak/tick/rattle snake ravine and asks players on their card to help look, do you have to go down there and look for 3 minutes?

Where does 803.11 stop and common sense start?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: lost disc with a twist

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 am

Practice stroke penalty throw and I wouldn't be going to help look. If it was their legitimate shot then I'd help look, not if it was a pissed off throw after their shot.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Re: Re: lost disc with a twist

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:52 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:Practice stroke penalty throw and I wouldn't be going to help look. If it was their legitimate shot then I'd help look, not if it was a pissed off throw after their shot.

I think the premise is that it is a "legitimate shot" and a "pissed off shot" all in the same. The idea is fucking over the rest of the card by forcing them into poison ivy for 3 minutes.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby vtbuzzz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I wouldn't go into the poison ivy for health reasons and they would have to give me a courtesy violation if need be.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby fore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Itchy wrote:If a player 3 putts, gets pissed and throws their disc into a poison oak/tick/rattle snake ravine and asks players on their card to help look, do you have to go down there and look for 3 minutes?

Nope.

803.11 Lost Disc falls under the rubric "Rules of Play," therefore, 803.11 presumes that the potentially lost disc is a disc in play.

Assuming the player had already holed out before throwing the disc in anger, the throw is necessarily a practice throw since it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, so the disc, by definition, cannot be a disc in play. Therefore, 803.11 does not apply to the disc.

Additionally, 803.11 mandates that a lost disc incurs a one throw penalty for the player. If the lost disc penalty doesn't apply to a practice throw, neither do any of the other actions mandated in 803.11.
fore
Noob

Favorite Disc: Phenix

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 pm

:shock: :lol:
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Return to Rules Discussion