New way to compare discs: the Flight Analyzer

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New way to compare discs: the Flight Analyzer

Postby hyzerhook » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Edit:

I built this tool for comparing discs. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

FlightAnalyzer.com
Last edited by hyzerhook on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzerhook
Noob

Favorite Disc: shark

Re: New way to compare discs: the Flight Analyzer

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Would be a good tool, if the ratings were reliable, and calculated, not just descriptive.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 am

I asked the Flight Analyzer to confirm that the Rattler is the best specialty disc ever made. It worked about as well as asking my cat to type this message.

After that epic failure I think the Flight Analyzer owes me something, winning lottery numbers maybe, something. I will never get back those few moments.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby gvan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 am

Mark Ellis wrote:I asked the Flight Analyzer to confirm that the Rattler is the best specialty disc ever made. It worked about as well as asking my cat to type this message.

gvan
Noob

Favorite Disc: The 1 in the basket

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 am

how are the lines charted? Are they just taken from the companies websites or what?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JHern » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Yeah, I like the physics-based simulator I wrote much better, since it allows you to change the speed, hyzer angle, nose angle, altitude, wind, etc., and see how a disc behaves under all conditions.

I would put mine online, if I could get some reliable wind tunnel data.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Varsi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:how are the lines charted? Are they just taken from the companies websites or what?

Looks like something I've done before. Negative turn first moves disc right and fade brings it back left. Speed and glide then determine how far the disc goes.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby Leopard » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:53 pm

y'all just have no fuckin appreciation for anything :)

well in addition to timg, our guy at DN, whoever built (c'mon hyzerhook, you built this didn't you?) this simulator.... that totals THREE competent developers in all of disc golf. we're moving up!!

great foundation. all my questions on this get into proprietary info, so i won't even ask. having chased this exact application before (actually pretty close on a few of the things going on with rendering) i think it's a very well-done piece of work. dynamically-rendered flight paths based on flight numbers. no complications. flat optimum throw data comparison.. good stuff.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby hyzerhook » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:how are the lines charted? Are they just taken from the companies websites or what?

The lines are charted dynamically using a formula that builds it based on the flight ratings.

Leopard wrote:y'all just have no fuckin appreciation for anything :)

well in addition to timg, our guy at DN, whoever built (c'mon hyzerhook, you built this didn't you?) this simulator.... that totals THREE competent developers in all of disc golf. we're moving up!!

great foundation. all my questions on this get into proprietary info, so i won't even ask. having chased this exact application before (actually pretty close on a few of the things going on with rendering) i think it's a very well-done piece of work. dynamically-rendered flight paths based on flight numbers. no complications. flat optimum throw data comparison.. good stuff.

Me? Built it? Yeah :\
hyzerhook
Noob

Postby Leopard » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Nice work!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby JR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:18 am

So Marks cat ain't a genius :-)

Sorry i don't think i passed enough gas to call the shots i took wind tunnel measurements Jhern :-) Reliable? Who knows?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:I asked the Flight Analyzer to confirm that the Rattler is the best specialty disc ever made. It worked about as well as asking my cat to type this message.

After that epic failure I think the Flight Analyzer owes me something, winning lottery numbers maybe, something. I will never get back those few moments.

Yeah, challenger is the only discraft putter on there.

Keep it up, those measurements and flight paths look close to me when thrown flat and in calm conditions.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Wouldn't distance potential/speed be better determined by a disc's rim width? For example, the simulator shows the speed 14 King (2.3cm rim) flying further than the speed 13 Boss (2.5cm rim). I like my Kings but Bosses are faster and are consistantly longer for me.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby hyzerhook » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:04 am

I used speed and glide to determine distance potential. I suppose there are other ways to do it, such as using the rim width, or calculating that the high speed turn would add some distance. It is also possible that Westside doesn't use exactly the same criteria as Innova when determining their flight ratings.

In any case, it is much easier for me to use the provided disc ratings than to find the rim width of every disc.
hyzerhook
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 am

rim width isn't the dominating factor in distance potential, I agree with hyzerhook.

I still find it a bit odd he tried to claim he found it on redditt instead of just saying "yo I made a thing, check it out".
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Next

Return to Equipment