Low profile stable-understable putter.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Low profile stable-understable putter.

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 pm

yeah but it is still pretty deep. Right around the wizard.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Spike » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 am

Eze Spike (perhaps not stable enough)
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby niuvalleycane » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:02 pm

new dx wedge very flippy, new star wedge very straight even thrown hard, dx XD is closer to which, looking for tick less stable than star wedge and shorter?
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 pm

At least some Star Wedges break in fast just by being in the bag with other discs. So it starts out ok and in a week or two is very flippy for driving. I heard others say that some Wedges are more durable. I'm not about to splurge on them to find out how to recognize the more durable ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby niuvalleycane » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 pm

^looking forward to your empirical data
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:36 pm

It was like i described it. The Star Wedge 17something was thrown only a couple of times in the field and flew well then it was a in a bag filled with discs in a comparison test and once i got to it it had retained the original shape as far as i could tell but instead of a need of around 5 degrees of initial hyzer to flip to flat it needed around 40 and never locked to flat on similar feeling shots despite dozens of attempts. Squirrely discs aren't for me so i dropped that. I hope others have better results and Innova manages to make these consistently durable. I don't recall who it was here that said that had some like mine and some that broke in like any regular disc. I wish i had had those because i like how the new Star Wedge feels and throws. Harder champ would warrant a new test for me. DX Wedge 149 was a joke :-) No surprise there it acted like it should getting to squirrel city after a few throws.

The longest putter drive i've ever made on flat ground was 330' something with minimal rear wind. A very tight almost perfectly straight s-curve with probably less than 4' of lateral movement before the fade. I think less but can't recall exactly. The fade is surprisingly hard especially with shorter shots and is reminiscent of mids rather than that of other putters.

I have small enough of a hand to grip the Wedge and the thinness and the small wing probably allows better leverage with the fingers than with other discs so i can hold on to it better and snap harder than any other disc. It may also be a contributing factor to the long distances i got from it with the best tosses. Surpassing 300' was easy and didn't require a great shot. Until the disc broke in to flippy in a jiffy. After that long tosses was a lottery of getting the disc to stop at flattish but it could land anywhere from 50' left or right to anything in between. So not usable at all unless forced to either hard left and hard right and even then it wouldn't be that accurate or repeatable. Just not a golfable disc at all in that stage of wear.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 am

My vote is for the XD. the title of the thread is low profile stable - understable putter. That's exactly what the xd is.
It's thinner than a wizard / aviar, but thicker than a wedge. And the new plus mold isn't garbage either. It's not an extreme plus mold, it's just slight. It comes in dx and champion. The dx is a slow turner with minimal low speed fade. Champ turns a little less high speed and has a little more low speed fade (but not that much). I like champ for driving, dx for approaches and drives that need to turn and hold anhyzer.

IMO the xd is an underrated underappreciated disc.
It get the most "what disc was that?" from other players.
It is my secret weapon.
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Postby money 21 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:16 pm

the dark red star wedges are the most stable and longest lasting. the yellow star breaks in fast then stays at an easy to flip stage for a while. white is some where between the others two. look for the stiffest ones they are the most stable.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I too have relatively small hands and some discs don't fit my grip. The rim depth is one issue but I find the more important issue is how the flight plate is (concave or flat or domey).

Domey putters, like the 86 molds for example, may not have deep rims but they don't work for me, at all. Not at all. A domey Magnet (somewhat rare but they do exist) or a disc with a natural dome like a Dart is pretty much worthless to me. Even a Classic Roc which is domey (as some are) doesn't work even though this disc has a shallow rim. I could switch out my primary putters to almost any flat topped putter and get used to it before long. Give me a domey putter and I'd have to move back to the low Amateur ranks.

All of this is an explanation for my recommendation to be tried: the Rattler. Some Rattler runs start out flat and dip down slightly as they break in (to concave) and this is the low profile understable putter I use. Its not really low profile, except that it fits that way in the hand. Of course the Rattler is best used for shorter upshots and putts. Not so much for driving off the tee. Just follow the rules for Rattlers: Never throw them hard. Never throw them into a wind.

You, like me, may find they are the best disc ever made.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 pm

money 21 wrote:the dark red star wedges are the most stable and longest lasting. the yellow star breaks in fast then stays at an easy to flip stage for a while. white is some where between the others two. look for the stiffest ones they are the most stable.

My 175 super fast broken in or rather beat Wedge was yellow.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm

discraft zeppelin is the same height as the avair xd and the zeppelin loves the turnover lines with little to no fade depending on height. Its great for flicks and at 180g a few leaves in the way aren't stopping you from running it.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 am

I did not feel like the zeppelin was low profile.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I did not feel like the zeppelin was low profile.
It isn't, and neither is the Aviar.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 am

Wedge is kinda of tweener putt/mid, like a shorter stingray or xd.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:14 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:I did not feel like the zeppelin was low profile.
It isn't, and neither is the Aviar.

He was not talking about the Aviar but the Aviar XD now known as simply the XD which is of course a very thin flat topped disc in DX and poopy domed in CFR primo plastics.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment