Jump putting. Lemon Lake Tourney

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jump putting. Lemon Lake Tourney

Postby Triton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 am

Sorry if this has been covered, but I have a scenario about jump putting.
So I was at a tourney this last weekend at Lemon Lake and during the players meeting the TD briefly went over jump putting. He had somebody read a section out of the rules book where it says you're allowed to step in front of the marker after you release the disc, except when inside 10 meters. 803.04 B. He then said you're not even allowed to have your non supporting foot in the air past the plane of the marker disc when you release the disc on a jump putt. I'm pretty sure that's wrong, and it's not considered a step past the disc until that foot hits the ground. I was waiting on somebody to correct him on that, but nobody did, so I just ignored it and proceeded to begin they tourney.

I later got into an argument with the player who brought up the topic to the TD before the players meeting. He was arguing with me and my card about it, making the same argument the TD was, saying your non supporting foot can't be past the plane of the marker disc in the air when you release the putt even outside 10 meters, and even with the supporting foot still being on the ground behind the marker.

Unless I'm the one who's ignorant here, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have your non supporting foot in front of the marker in the air even before you release the disc as long as you release the disc before it comes in contact with the ground or any object in front of the marker disc. I would just hate to have 2 players on the same card with me making that argument against me and then proceed to stroke me because of that. And when the TD is agreeing with that, what could you do about that? Kinda shocked me considering this is where worlds will be next year. I think the TD should understand that ruling, again, unless I'm the one who's ignorantly missing something here.
Destroyer, Tern, PD,XXX, Tee Bird, Roc, Judge
Triton
Noob

Re: Jump putting. Lemon Lake Tourney

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 am

If you can't have a non-supporting foot past your lie at the moment of release then you can't have a non-supporting hand in front of your lie either.

Darn near every putt made by darn near everyone results in their throwing hand being in front of their lie at the moment of release.

In the NFL one knee equals two feet but in Disc Golf one foot is no different than one hand.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby curt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 am

First of all, as far as I know, doesn't address your feet at all. It only refers to supporting points (or, in this case, potential supporting point). If these guys' arguments were true, you wouldn't be allowed to have any part of your body cross the plane, including the hand holding your putter.

You are correct that you can have any part of your body past the plane of the rear of the marker whenever you feel like it, however if you're within 10 meters, you can't make contact with anything in front of it. If the TD had bothered to read 803.04 A & C, they make the answer to this question very obvious.

To be fair though, there probably isn't much of a good reason to have your feet dangling in the air over the marker either though.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby BradC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 am

curt wrote:To be fair though, there probably isn't much of a good reason to have your feet dangling in the air over the marker either though.

Walking putts.
BradC
Noob

Postby JTdisc » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 am

If it is outside 10 meters, it's not a putt. There's no difference between an 30 foot shot and a 230 foot shot. There's nothing in the rules that I can read that says anything about crossing a plane and the rules refer to "supporting points" rather than specific body parts like "feet". This guy is just making stuff up.

{Edit: feet/meters mixup}
Last edited by JTdisc on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Triton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 am

It's just funny how some people can twist rules to fit their own preferences. He doesn't jump putt so he was calling it a cheap shot because of how much closer you can get by doing the walk putt/ jump putt. Honestly I feel like I get closer to the basket when I'm standing still from outside the circle rather than jumping.
When I walk putt my foot is roughly 1-2 feet past the mini and my body is pretty vertical slightly behind my foot, so i'm maybe 1 foot or so over the mini with my head and shoulders.. When I stand still for long putts I push off with my back foot and keep it back, kicking it up to about waist high, and my shoulders and head are forward probably 2-3 feet past the mini.
Destroyer, Tern, PD,XXX, Tee Bird, Roc, Judge
Triton
Noob

Postby catha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 pm

PDGA has made a video that might be of help in this situation
Demonstrating Balance When Putting
(I hope I managed to attach the video)
catha
Noob

Return to Rules Discussion