2 Disc setup reccomendation

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby pc9460 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

I am looking for a 2 disc setup for disc golf play. I started playing a month ago and am growing to like disc golf.

Can you guys recommend me a great two disc set up? One for putting and one for driving? I am low on money so I cant buy all the different kinds of discs. The place I play at has a maximum distance of 590'. I need a good disk that can achieve good distance but can be used for shorter distances. Then I want a putter, or maybe a mid range would suffice. I'm looking to spend about $30 for two disks

I can order online or go to the pro shop. Please tell me the name and model!!!
pc9460
Noob
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Favorite Disc: innova

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Drowsy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Roc / Buzzz | Whatever feels comfortable. Dx Aviar / SS Wizard?
Do you play backhand or sidearm?
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 am
Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Stalker/aviar
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 pm

leopard/wizard SS or aviar
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Flipflat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:47 pm

ESP Comet and a Yeti Pro Aviar. Comet will help your form, YP Aviar is a nice putter with fade that you can work on different lines, and is good off the tee.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby money 21 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 pm

gm/voodoo
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 pm

What's the new guy par on that 590' hole using only a mid and a putter... 4?

Practice your flick, get a zeppelin for understable lines.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby pc9460 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:44 am

Drowsy wrote:Roc / Buzzz | Whatever feels comfortable. Dx Aviar / SS Wizard?
Do you play backhand or sidearm?


I play backhand.


I'm leaning towards the aviar for putting since everyone is recommending that. Still undecided about the driver/fairway. The longest distance on the course I play is 646' not 590'. For par it is 5.
pc9460
Noob
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Favorite Disc: innova

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 am

I should expand on why I recommended the stalker. You're pretty new so you should be using mids mostly as your drivers but should have a slower driver like a leo/cyclone/gazelle to start messing with. But since you will only have two discs, I think it would be smart to get a disc that has characteristics of both a mid and driver. You can throw a stalker like a buzzz or you can throw a stalker like a teebird, it just depends on your skill level of manipulating discs. Once you get a bit more money you can add an actual mid and an actual driver to your set up and cover a lot of shots.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I should expand on why I recommended the stalker. You're pretty new so you should be using mids mostly as your drivers but should have a slower driver like a leo/cyclone/gazelle to start messing with. But since you will only have two discs, I think it would be smart to get a disc that has characteristics of both a mid and driver. You can throw a stalker lik gete a buzzz or you can throw a stalker like a teebird, it just depends on your skill level of manipulating discs. Once you get a bit more money you can add an actual mid and an actual driver to your set up and cover a lot of shots.


He raises a good point. It depends whether you are looking to improve your game long term, or just looking to have some good scores now. If you would really like to improve your game long term stick with mids until you can throw 250'. They will force you to learn good form. If you do want a driver, the stalker is a good recommendation.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 am
Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby pc9460 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I was looking at the aviar and I noticed that there were two different ones. $9 from Dx plastic and $11 from R-Pro plastic. Any difference in quality and performance? Which one should I opt for?

I'm thinking of adding a driver disc right now and getting a mid-range in the future. Any recommendations for a driver?

What is a fairway driver?

Sorry for all the questions!!!
pc9460
Noob
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Favorite Disc: innova

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:06 pm

get the DX, r-pro beats in quickly.

You should prob get a mid range disc first, then a driver.

fairway drivers are slower drivers, discs like the cyclone, XL, leopard, eagle, gazelle, saber, CD. They are easier to control and to throw because they are slower and rely on glide more than speed to get their distance. If you go to innova's or discraft's or whichever manufacturer's website, they will usually have their drivers separated by speed.

example: go to http://www.innovadiscs.com/ and go to the drop down menu at the top and mouse over discs. You will see there are distance and fairway drivers, which are then sub-categorized by speed.

On a different note, have you thought about just getting a company starter set from DC or Innova, I think they run under $30 and will give you 3 solid beginner discs.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby pc9460 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:get the DX, r-pro beats in quickly.

You should prob get a mid range disc first, then a driver.

fairway drivers are slower drivers, discs like the cyclone, XL, leopard, eagle, gazelle, saber, CD. They are easier to control and to throw because they are slower and rely on glide more than speed to get their distance. If you go to innova's or discraft's or whichever manufacturer's website, they will usually have their drivers separated by speed.

example: go to http://www.innovadiscs.com/ and go to the drop down menu at the top and mouse over discs. You will see there are distance and fairway drivers, which are then sub-categorized by speed.

On a different note, have you thought about just getting a company starter set from DC or Innova, I think they run under $30 and will give you 3 solid beginner discs.


How much distance can I get on a mid-range driver?
Any recommendations for one also?

I was thinking of getting a starter set but wanted disc that I could use when I get better if you know what I mean.
pc9460
Noob
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Favorite Disc: innova

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:get the DX, r-pro beats in quickly.
The floppy putter R-Pro doesn't beat in, ever. Just ask Varsi. And I can vouch for my own P-P1, I don't throw it anymore, having moved on to more overstable molds, but for the first 3 years of my disc golf career it didn't really change at all.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 pm

pc9460 wrote:How much distance can I get on a mid-range driver?
Any recommendations for one also?
There really is no upper limit, it all depends on your form and skill. To start with 200+ feet isn't that hard, 250+ will come in time, 300+ isn't really that hard once you develop a knack for throwing and pros can throw them over 400'.

As for suggestions, there are a few ways you can go about it. If you want a very versatile mid that works on a variety of lines and distances and will teach you proper form (because it'll fly like crap if you throw it bad) the Comet is just about unbeatable. Z will probably have the longest lifecycle and be easiest for a beginner, but will still fly straight like a putter on sub 100' shots. With clean form you can also really power it, 300' straight shot with a flat release is probably my favorite shot with the Comet. The Axis from MVP is along the same vein but somewhat faster and depending on the thrower it can be more touchy (for me it is, for many others the Comet is).

Some more user friendly mids would include the Buzzz and the MD2, which are both faster and straight'ish mids (the best D, P and C-MD2's are dead straight when powered), and a DX Roc will initially give you some overstability but beats into a magnificent straight mid range.

If it was me and I was on a budget (limited to baseline plastic) I'd most likely go for either a DX Aviar or a D-Line P2 putter combined with a D-Line MD2 mid range.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest