Bought a DX Eagle... now what?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bought a DX Eagle... now what?

Postby harkerj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but could my new(ish) Eagle be turning over already? It is DX, and has smacked a couple trees (and has a nick out of the edge already), but I can't imagine it's already beat in that much. I think I've thrown it less than 50 times.

But I am really loving the disc. Nice and straight, lots of glide, and it now fades right instead of left. Which is cool for me, I've always wanted a disc that does that for me.

So is it time to get a new Eagle? Another DX, or upgrade to Star or Champ (I fully intend to stay with this mold for awhile)? Heavier? My first one is 165 I think.
harkerj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Monarch

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

you are def putting some off axis torque in your throw.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby harkerj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm

I guess I'm taking this thread off topic here, but may I ask how you know that just from what I posted?
harkerj
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Because an Eagle won't get truly understable that soon unless you totally demolish it, hitting trees and rocks all the time.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I've thrown eagles for like 7 years now and I've never had a DX eagle get flippy that quickly and I use to hit the shit out of some trees back when I was bad as hell. I also don't think it is the disc as the new DX eagles are nice and stable. So the conclusion I have to draw is that you are throwing the disc with some OAT which will turn it right even though it isn't that beat.

As I type this I did think about the possibility that you might have gotten one of the old DX ELs which would make it flippy that quickly.
Frank Delicious

Postby harkerj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:00 pm

I know what OAT stands for and that's about it. I've read that OAT will cause the disc to wobble, which my Eagle does not do. In fact, it flies flatter and "truer" than any other disc I throw, feels as smooth as silk to throw. I've thrown it perfectly on at least 4 holes where I thought I'd never find a throw/disc that could work for me. What are some other symptoms of OAT that I might notice if that is indeed the culprit? The only other disc I could consistently get to fade right as it slowed down was a DX Valk that I beat to hell. I can't get any other disc to turn over unless I'm throwing with my max power, and then they turn over right from the start and never come back. The Eagle will go out nice and straight for awhile, then just fall off to the right where all my other discs hyzer out at the end. So, if I was OATing it, shouldn't other discs act that way too?

And, to my earlier question, if the disc is indeed starting to be flippy, should I just buy a new DX to have a "straighter" Eagle, or might I venture into Star or Champ? Or mess with weight?
harkerj
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Is it an EL?
Frank Delicious

Postby harkerj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Sorry, I'm on vacation without my discs (boss' orders!), so I can't check. I'm also a noob. How would I know if it is an EL? Would it say so? If so, them it is not - it just has the plain Eagle stamp.
harkerj
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Check the OP of this thread, it's stickied at the top

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17397

pretty much if it has a notch at the tip of the wing it is an EX, flat and it is EL.
Frank Delicious

Postby JR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm

If you have a lemon of an understable disc it would be probably extremely rare deviant disc. That is why the obvious usual suspect is off axis torque. Then an EL if it is soft. I've thrown an EL after it lost a chunk of plastic from the wing and it didn't change the flight at all which is weird. Looking for unusual explanations the disc could have been stored, shipped or placed in your bag poorly so that the outside edge has bent down. The easy fix is to bend it back to factory spec. I've had a Teebird bend down 30 degrees on one side and once i bent it back to shape it flew like normal.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment