Looking to take my drive to the next level

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking to take my drive to the next level

Postby seehad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

About 3 years ago I completely revamped my drive using the right pec drill with putters and mids. I started getting teebirds past 400 and mids in the 350s and then switched focus to other aspects of the game. After watching these videos in slomo, I'm starting to think some more right pec drills would be beneficial but I'd like to hear any other thoughts the experts might have. FYI, these drives were in the 360-380 range but once the camera stopped rolling, I hit some better distance including teebird get out to about 420'.

seehad
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Looking to take my drive to the next level

Postby JR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Welcome!

For your form you throw far. That is a good thing because it means that with improvements in form you should be able to throw farther. You were unbalanced and uncoordinated and fixing those plus the right pec drill should help in increasing your distance and consistency.

Right pec drill is in order because you never brought the disc close to the body and never led with the elbow. You should experiment how far forward of the body you can bring the elbow without pushing the shoulder to elbow area straight at the target (injury risk) before straightening the elbow. Another experimentation issue is where and when to bring the disc close to which body part. Blake and Bradley recommend the right pec and it works the best for me too but some claim that they get better results in with the left pec out with the right and i know some 500'+ throwers here that do that. Timing is related to the concept of the pause which you can search for. At the moment you lack that so reading up on it should help.

Uncoordinated: Your running direction was for a moderate anny, the planting position was for a mild anny except too short for the speed of the run up and the arm moved in a slight hyzer. Not very consistent way of throwing. Those 500'+ throwers here do their x steps with a very anny plant position in order to shift more weight back to front for added power and it works but it won't add accuracy and consistency and it practically mandates close to the left pec far away of the right pec throwing with earlier torso turning than the right pec way. The right pec way has more acceleration late in the throw and the other way has more speed earlier in the throw and possibly even later for those that have enough muscle power to keep accelerating through the release.

Here is the other form he is the first thrower in this video. According to Ville Piippo nobody in Finland throws as fast as he does.

See how he has his right knee bent even in the follow through? Compared to your throw there is a large difference and a bent knee protects the knee from injuries. Especially if the foot gets stuck. Miko the guy in the video seems to rotate on the right foot passively and you can push back with the right leg as the left leg is pushing forward to increase the rotational speed but please for sake of your health and not losing balance please don't push the right knee to straight. Lengthening the plan step or slowing down will keep you from falling over to your face. It would happen if you didn't run through with the left leg. More balance adds a little power and a lot of accuracy and consistency. Even more so when the ground is slippery and/or uneven.

By the way Miko has thrown 600'+ and thinks he probably passed 200 meters in a storm. He ain't tall but he has a lot of muscle power and explosiveness.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seehad » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you for all the advice on work to get started with (which I already have). I haven't had a chance to hit the field yet but just getting that elbow up and the bent knee on the pivot and follow through seems to have improved my balance and I was getting consistent snap with the towel.
seehad
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah even the towel drill which is limited vs the real thing do show the difference and because you have good power form change makes an immediate change in the results something that ain't automatically true for sub 300' crowd with the towel drill. I hope that the results are good throwing a disc too :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seehad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 pm

While it's obvious to me the video I took demonstrates an uncoordinated set of throws, my aim is to fix things that are broken while keeping intact the things that work. I was afraid to break apart my throw again to lose strokes but it's becoming apparent that fixing what's broken would lead to a much more consistent round of golf. 2 years ago I was hitting the long drives but had little success in the way of scores. I finally hit some 1000+ rated games on my home course this year (2 in May) but the swings in consistency are rough.

I've assembled a sort of minds eye of what I understand of the throw starting at the end of the x-step when you land on both feet.

Reachback

Hips: Closed
Shoulders: Closed
Weight: Rear Leg with big toe facing about 1:45
Leading Leg stance: ~150% away from rear leg with toe/ball touching the ground

Starting with the hips:
Hips: From closed to nuetral
Shoulders: Follows hips
Leading foot pivots to flat foot
Weight: Shifts to 70% front leg

Hips/Shoulders pause at nuetral to bring disc to pec with the elbow extending towards target

Hips: From Nuetral to Open
Shoulders: Follows hips
Arm extends as hips/shoulders open

Snap: With a relaxed grip up to this point, the nail hammering begins. As the weight of the disc is shifting on it's own is where I push the thumb forward as if I'm in middle school playing bloody knuckles with quarters; this tightens the grip. As I pound the nail I stop my wrist as it extends to where my thumb is pointing at the apex.

This is the point the disc flies and you finish the follow through with a pivot on the heel with a bent knee.
seehad
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Sounds right, except i don't know how many degrees your feet point off of the target at the plant, but you don't wanna bring the plant step to a flat foot from the toe. You should roll from the toe to the heel on the side of the toe and the sole to side corner of the shoe. The ball of the foot needs to be up for health reasons and allowing a faster and long enough pivot with the heel.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique