Are we the only ones who do this?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Are we the only ones who do this?

Postby Alexx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Just wondering a bunch of the guys who live around here and I simply go to our own local park and make up our own courses there. Instead of baskets we use targets like a tree, a bench, a swingset, a garbage can or drinking fountains. In order to make the hole you simply hit the object. It is so much fun but I never hear it discussed outside of the guys that live here.

I love it so much more than driving off to the real courses when I can just hop on a bike and ride a block and play 18 holes.

We make up our own courses at this park between us we have over 50+ courses.

We just get a satellite shot of the park from google maps, crop it, and photoshop each hole in then print em out and laminate em. This makes it so we can remember all of the different ones.

Anyway curious if anybody else ever does this and/or what you think of it?
Alexx
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkarie

Re: Are we the only ones who do this?

Postby JTdisc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm

We do this sometime if we want a little practice and don't feel like making the 35 minute drive. Not the whole Google maps/photoshop/laminate thing, but we do invent holes in the local park once in a while for fun.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Drowsy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:15 pm

I do this all the time at my local park. Great for practicing lines that courses don't have and its more casual so if you want to learn a disc you can without ruining a real round.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby Alexx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah lol the maps photoshop thing is way overkill. I never thought anybody other than us would take it that far. I just do this because I can do it every day since its down the street. Has been like a 100 degrees lately though so kinda sucks.

The real course is still the best but it's fun to play a different one every day at the local park.

Thanks for the responses.
Alexx
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkarie

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Ya the maps is overkill but if it isn't that hard, why not. Anybody do some night discing? The first time I heard of disc was in the midwest when I was drinking with my cousin and m brother and my cousin grabbed some discs and told us we were hitting the street. Call out a light post and the par and go for it. Pretty fun but use cheap discs as losses can be pretty common. Really fun with a few buddies and glow discs
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Postby JR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I've played night and object golf. LED and glow discs are meant for night golf and there are night golf leagues.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

That's how disc golf started out, before there were actual targets or courses. So yeah, you're not the only ones. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Bultx1215 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 am

That is how we started in the late 70's in Dallas. No courses around, so we made our own and changed them up all the time to make it interesting.
Bultx1215
Noob

Favorite Disc: Saint

Postby Drowsy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 am

I also create my own mandos on certain courses to add a challenge or force myself to throw different lines.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm

When one of my local 9 hole courses is empty (middle of the day) I'll play it backwards. First tee to the eighth basket, 9th tee to the 7th basket, etc. It adds quite a bit of length, but better than that, it creates tricky fairways where placing you shot is much more important than distance. Although distance still helps.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:31 am

A little different wrinkle we play at our local course when no one else is out.
We start on the side of basket 18 and play to basket 17. Then basket 17 to basket 16, etc.
We also play tee 1 to basket 2, tee 3 to basket 4.

It opens up a bunch of different lines and shots and changes the course after we get bored from playing it all the time.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion