Minimalist bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Minimalist bag

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm

I am just getting into it and I found I played best when just using my pro starfire. I'm hearing its better to know your discs than throw a bunch that all do different things. Here is what I am thinking:

Pretty beefy wraith- headwind use, hook shots, overstable driver
Stable 175g valk- go to guy. Slow and can make him to anything
175g Pro katana- downwind driver, hyzerflipper, big bomber
177+ z Buzz- go to mid
First run skeeter- long putter and finesse approaches
Flx Drone- hooking mid. Forehand approaches
Dx Rhyno- Turbo putts, forehand putts, headwind putts
Jk pro aviar- all putting

All I would need is a the drone and wraith. I have the rest. Just wondering if this would suffice for tournaments as my first tournament this year I had a bunch of discs and didn't quite know them all and ended up using my groove that I hardly ever used. I don't want that "Oh shit" feeling that I had when going into that tournament. Only thing I could see being a problem is if I lost one, but still I should have enough to cover the rest of the day.
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Re: Minimalist bag

Postby JR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Why ain't the Starfire in there anymore if it worked for you? How about more minimalism with 5 discs you have plenty of drivers?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby curt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

If you don't already have a wraith, and are simply looking for buy an overstable driver to use for those shots, the wraith probably isn't your best choice. You'd be better off with a predator, firebird, or banshee. Those discs are more truly overstable, while the writ just hooks for you because you can't throw it fast enough to get it to fly straight yet.

Also, I wouldn't recommend picking up the drone quite yet. For the sake of your long-term game and shot making ability, learn to throw that shot by either powering down on your overstable driver (another reason for the pred/firebird/banshee) and putting a little hyzer on your buzz.

If you're pro-starfire is working for you, keep it in the bag. I don't think you'd run into much you couldn't handle with just it and a valk. (Or, if you want to get real minimalistic, get a star or champ star fire to pair with it and enjoy seeing them fly differently based on wear)**

**I don't know if this is still the case, but the pro starfires used to actually be SLs, so that champ would fly quite differently for you.

Also, pick up a fairway driver.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby NeuralBlaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Most minimalist bag I could make from your basic outline would be:

Firebird - headwind use, hook shots, overstable driver - Predator/Banshee/etc would all work, keep it under 9 speed and 3+ stability on the Innova scale

Teebird or Eagle - go to guy. Slow and can make him to anything - Leopard could work too, or in addition - Something in the 6-7 speed rating

Roadrunner - downwind driver, hyzerflipper, big bomber - I really like Roadrunners for this shot, and keeping it under 9 speed will help you learn more than throwing a 13 speed. Personal preference though.

Buzzz- go to mid - Buzzz rocks, can do anything really

Rhyno - All non-putting putter duties - you can use one overstable putter mold for most/all of what you listed here, and the Buzzz or Aviar can help out here too

JK Pro Aviar- all putting - putting is personal, if this is what works for you, rock it!
Wizard // JOKERi // Anode // Fuse // Axis // Vector // Firebird // Amp // River // PD
NeuralBlaze
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

K so changed it around a little and this is what I have.
175g Star wraith. And trust me its not too overstable for me. I have the power but I don't like super overstable discs. Can still handle a good headwind which is enough for me.
175 g Star Valk. Beauty. Breaking in nice.
172 g S Hysteria. True to its form. Straight flyer with soft fade. Great for headwind as well. Sweet flicks and annys can go a long way.
175 g dx Viking. Hyzer flipper. Get lost disc.
173 g dx Viper. I love dx and needed a fairway driver. Not as overstable as innova says. Handles the wind nice and hope it beats in real nice.
177g dx Gator. Forehand midrange. Love the plastic. Won't ever get carried off by the wind and with its low glide it can almost just sit on its target.
177g z Buzzz. Workhorse midrange. Handles wind nice. Flicks can be a bit touchy.
177g D buzzz. Wanted to try the buzzz mold in a different plastic. A little straighter, less glide. Good compliment to the Z.
Skeeter. Finess midrange and great for deep putts. Dumb disc but glad its in my bag.
Ryno is great for all non putting duties lol. Hardly sees the basket but its great for 125' flicks.
Jk aviar. Best putter ever.
Think this is all im keeping for now. Just gonna cycle in a baseline plastic driver when the viking goes. They are my get lost discs and I love how dx flies when broken in. If you aren't a fan of dx, try buying an overstable disc in dx and watch that guy rip. Lost my force one round when I was wearing it in simply because I threw it too far on a whole I hardly ever reach. Try a dx teerex and be impressed.
And ya curt the pro starfire is the SL mold, so completely different from champ. Loved that guy tho. Super straight flyer and with its soft turn and fade you could make it do anything. Maybe will replace the vike with one of these. Depends if im feeling pro or dx plastic that day.
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion