the least changed most changed bag in the world

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the least changed most changed bag in the world

Postby victorb » Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok, so maybe I'll give a quick rundown of what worked yesterday for me.

Played a 2 round tournament in Jefferson City and shot 2 estimated 1000 rated rounds (using DGCR SSA estimator - shot a 52 and 53), with the hottest round of the day as well as the lowest overall score of the day, out of the advanced am division (beat all the open players too)

Super simple setup. If there was one thing that I really felt like I needed, it was a niche disc for sidearm approaches, like a champion gator or something of that vein. When I needed a stronger finish than a sidearm putter could give me, I was kind of forced to throw a kc pro roc, which went waaaaay past where I wanted it to each time. Could have saved 2 strokes for sure if I had something in that specific slot.

Still had fast(ish) drivers in the bag but didn't even throw them once. Same setup as I listed just above, but with the two opto flows in the bag.

Drivers
172 Opto Flow, new
170 Opto Flow, used
175 Star Teebird, wearing in
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird, worn. hyzer flip to straight or bomb turnovers.
175 DX Teebird, new.
171 Z Predator, super beef
174 Z Predator, workhorse
174 Z Predator, domey, workable. has some high speed turn when thrown flat.
175 C-TD, workable turning driver

Midrages
176 KC Pro Roc, overstable
180 Glow DX Roc, new
175 DX Roc, wearing in.
17x DX Roc, super beat

Putters
175 protege clutch, throwing only. turnovers and straight off the tee and approaches
174 cryztal challenger, hyzer approaches and stable tee shots
174 D Challenger x2, putting only

So pretty much what I listed above. Going to check out a very overstable, low glide midrange. But not a drone. I really don't like those. Something with less glide than a pain, too, which is where I feel like a champ or champ glow gator would come in handy. Any other molds that I might be forgetting?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Sun May 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Any Gator would work so it is a matter of grip and durability preference. Zone is less versatile because it is way hard turning immediately and is so fast that it is easier to overthrow with and get skips. The Gator stops moderately well on rocks and very well on grass.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 am

Ok, so our big tournament is coming up in less than 3 weeks, and this is the setup I'm going with, since it's working very well for me lately. I haven't been shooting spectacularly good, but I've been consistent and steady, which is all I can ask for right now.

Drivers
175 Champ teebird
175 Star Teebird, some wear
175 DX Teebird, newish
171 Z Predator, the beefcake
173 Z Predator, domey, more workable
175 S-FD, some wear. These are beautiful discs, so glidey and easy to throw.
175 S-FD, new, back up

Midrange
175 Champ Gator, niche disc, mainly for short sidearms
176 KC Pro Roc, slight wear
180 DX Glow Roc, newish
180 DX Roc, newish
175 DX Roc, worn
17x DX Roc, super beat

Putters
176 Medium Summit, forehand putts/approaches
174 Cryztal Challenger, off the tee and hyzer approaches
174 D Challenger (x2) for putting only

Simple, comfortable, dependable. Throwing dx teebirds in the 400' range in neutral wind conditions, longer with a favorable tailwind. I've carried 2 opto flows in the bag recently but haven't felt the need to throw them, even on the longest and most open holes that I encounter, so they won't even be in the bag for me to make a bad decision with.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 am

Sticking with this setup for a while longer. It worked pretty well for me even though Indian Hills broke me down for 2 rounds at Mid-Am this year. Adding in a soft X Challenger for longer approaches that I've been using my cryztal for, but don't want/need the slide aways from slick plastics.

Drivers
175 Metal Flake Champ teebird, newe
175 Star Teebird, some wear
175 DX Teebird, newish
175 DX Teebird, worn
175 S-FD, new, back up

Midrange
175 Champ Gator, niche disc, mainly for short sidearms
180 DX Glow Roc, newish
180 DX Roc, newish
175 DX Roc, worn
17x DX Roc, super beat

Putters
176 Medium Summit, turnover forehand putts and approaches. might phase out when the soft x challenger gets beat in.
174 soft X Challenger, straight off the tee and nice overall approach putter

Never felt like I needed anything longer than a teebird this past weekend, even when Oakland back was setup long. I did find myself trying to throw too hard when I was getting frustrated but that's much more on me than my setup I chose. I need to work on better course management with what I have instead of changing my setup.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 am

Do you really need that many Teebirds and Preds?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby victorb » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am

Probably could get away with two of each, but I carry my complete setup to any course I play, so they're in there. Honestly I could probably take out the dx teebirds since jackals fly fairly similar anyway. The super overstable predator is pretty much a utility slot, the other two get the majority of throws.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:03 am

Just some minor tweaks. My next pdga tournament isn't till labor day weekend, so I might actually try a real distance driver. Oh, and this is all in my new GripEQ bag too!

Drivers
175 Metal Flake Champ teebird, new
175 Glow DX Teebird, new
175 DX Teebird, worn
175 S-FD, new, back up

Midrange
175 Champ Gator, niche disc, mainly for short sidearms and really short spike hyzers.
180 Glow KC Pro Roc, new
175 DX Roc, worn
17x DX Roc, super beat

Putters
176 Medium Summit, turnover forehand putts and approaches. might phase out when the soft x challenger gets beat in.
174 soft X Challenger, straight off the tee and nice overall approach putter. doesn't really slide or roll unless I duff a shot.

Definitely open to suggestions for new distance drivers. I'm thinking I might just use a star valk, since I don't want anything seriously fast, but could probably use a disc that's a little bit faster than a teebird - though most of the time the extra distance probably won't make much of a scoring difference.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Really in depth searching for a distance driver. Right now the next consideration are the Saint - which may not work, need to feel the rim first - PD, OLF (again) and possibly the Wraith. Anything wider is right out - my grip has changed slightly and I can crush slower discs, and would like to keep things on the narrow side for wing width.

I really want something that I can flip a little bit out of my hand, but has enough low speed stability to not stay out right. Any suggestions or stuff I might not be considering would be awesome.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Some Beasts won't flip and so far it seems that Pro is good for that. I had Champs that stayed non flippy last season but maybe storage did something to them because they flip a little now. Pros survived last season and storage over the winter in non flippy condition even in mid 160s.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:09 am

Starfire...the X not the L. I really like the Star version of the Starfire. Pretty versatile disc.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby disc junkie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 am

The discmania TD is what I use for that shot. I use the slightly more stable C Line but most S are just as good. Id just stay away from the plus mold C line as those seem to be less hss.

The TD is sneaky long and is awesome at the hyzer flip to slight track right with left finish. It's a very versatile mold thqt compliment the FD and PD very well.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 pm

disc junkie wrote:The discmania TD is what I use for that shot. I use the slightly more stable C Line but most S are just as good. Id just stay away from the plus mold C line as those seem to be less hss.

The TD is sneaky long and is awesome at the hyzer flip to slight track right with left finish. It's a very versatile mold thqt compliment the FD and PD very well.

Some S TDs are not flipping at all nor tracking at 400'.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby victorb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 pm

This is what I've settled on for now. C-TD is back in the bag, in the distance slot this time.

Drivers
175 C-TD, a little wear. Easy Distance.
175 Metal Flake Champ teebird, new
175 Star Teebird, light wear
175 Glow DX Teebird, newish
175 S-FD, some wear.
175 S-FD, new, back up

Midrange
175 Champ Gator, niche disc, mainly for short sidearms and really short spike hyzers.
176 KC Pro Roc, a little wear. Once this thing beats in to straight, I'll add a new one. Not even close yet.
180 DX Glow Roc, newish. In the rotation, only really seen open drives thus far.
175 DX Roc, beat. It's taken me 8+ months of throwing this guy a ton to get it to the slightly understable phase.
17x DX Roc, super beat. Fliptastic. I'll throw this guy until it becomes unpredictable.

Putters
176 Medium Summit, mainly flick putts and weird sidearm anny approaches, niche disc.
174 soft X Challenger
174 Cryztal Challenger

Pretty happy with how my new grip bag feels. It is exactly what I was looking for in a bag without being too large. More than plenty of room for storage, especially for clothes layers for fall and winter since I wear size small - no issues rolling up sweatshirts and the like and putting them in the side compartments.

As for the arsenal - I feel like I've hit an equilibrium point with my game and my bag. I want some longer discs in the bag to try and stretch out how far I can throw, but at the same time I can't get the good grip feeling with anything too wide that I get from my Teebirds (throwing the dx at 400+ in neutral wind conditions, and 425+ in tailwinds) So for now, I'll be working like a madman on my accuracy and short game. I really want to make sure to get an invite for Am worlds next year, and probably will only have one more tournament this season to play before I have to have hernia surgery :( The TD should be an easy enough thrower, and easy enough to get similar flying discs to keep it in the bag for quite a while. I've been considering going back to the roc/comet combo, but I've been throwing my putters a lot more again off the tee so that might be unnecessary with the stack of rocs that I carry every round.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Is that c-TD one of the ones I gave you for secret santa?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby victorb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm

nah, I bought it at PIAS here in town when they first came out. I haven't done any secret santa stuff online at all.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion