MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:20 am

JHern wrote:Has it even been submitted to PDGA?

- a man too lazy to go to the home page of the PDGA.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JHern » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:

In fact, I did look at PDGA.com before posting this question...they only mention the "Pearl" disc release...

...unless of course there is yet another hidden corner of their website where you have to search long and hard before finding the info you're looking for...would not be surprised.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Varsi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 pm

JHern wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:

In fact, I did look at PDGA.com before posting this question...they only mention the "Pearl" disc release...

...unless of course there is yet another hidden corner of their website where you have to search long and hard before finding the info you're looking for...would not be surprised.

"PDGA approved discs list". Hidden as the first result in google search with those words.
The list is quite long already of course so you might want to try search there as well.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 pm

JHern wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/charg ... -with-volt

You can also click on More under announcements to show more than just 5 announcements.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:29 pm

What's with the "leet" spe4k on the pdgay page for the ruby? That annoys me.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 pm

I visited the MVP factory/warehouse today and had the chance to throw some proto Volts. The first thing I noticed is that the rim does not feel like 2.0 cm. It feels about the same as my PDs, if not slightly smaller...I don't understand how the PDGA came up with that measurement. The nose was thicker and more rounded than a PD and the wing was slightly less concave and without a flat part at the wing tip.
I tested several blue Volts weighing 169-175, and 2 pink 175s. I basically threw them as I would my slightly broken in SPDs and they were performing very similarly. They felt a bit slower than the PD with a bit more glide. There was high speed turn at a certain speed, but the transition was very slow and smooth. I threw them on power hyzers, flat shots, S shots, and pure anhyzers and a variety of powered down shots and my throws found their intended lines as if I had been using the disc for years. They where working well FH for me too. The pinks had a slightly higher shoulder and were noticeably more LSS than the blues, which where flatter, and straighter, especially when powered down. The Volt is definitely closer to a fairway driver than a distance driver imo. The cruising speed felt lower than a PD, especially on the blues. It's hard to say for sure as I'm not sure of the distances I was throwing today, but they seemed slightly shorter than a PD (closer to Avenger/OLF distance).
If the production run ends up like these protos I could actually see them replacing my PDs. The Volt is exactly the disc I wanted them to make. It was so intuitive and easy for me to throw with a variety of release angles and get the lines I visualized that I could see it taking over the majority of my drives on my home courses.
As far as the release date, I think MVP is going to make an announcement sometime fairly soon. Don't expect it in the near future (this will be my only comment on this matter)...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 am

If the blue ones are still as wind tolerant i prefer it probably based on your description. How does the Volt compared to other straight long FWs like Rivers?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:06 am

Why wouldn't it come out sometime in the near future?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby discspeed » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 am

JR wrote:If the blue ones are still as wind tolerant i prefer it probably based on your description. How does the Volt compared to other straight long FWs like Rivers?

The blues seemed as wind tolerant as the pinks, and the MVP guys said that the blues actually moved a little less in a headwind than the pinks. The Volt is more HSS with a lot more predictable turn and fade than either the River or FD. It also locks onto a line much tighter than those two. It does a lot of Teebird-like lines, but it is more versatile because it has a touch of high speed turn. The fade is a little less biting than a PD. Compared to MVP's mids, the Volt is between the Vector and Axis, closer to the Vector (but not as LSS).
discspeed

Postby Flipflat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 am

How is the new plastic?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby discspeed » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 am

Flipflat wrote:How is the new plastic?

It was similar to the old opaque Ions, but stiffer with a little waxier surface.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

Nothing in the standard proton plastic?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby discspeed » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 am

Jeronimo wrote:Nothing in the standard proton plastic?

Not initially.
discspeed

Postby JR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:26 am

discspeed wrote:
JR wrote:If the blue ones are still as wind tolerant i prefer it probably based on your description. How does the Volt compared to other straight long FWs like Rivers?

The blues seemed as wind tolerant as the pinks, and the MVP guys said that the blues actually moved a little less in a headwind than the pinks. The Volt is more HSS with a lot more predictable turn and fade than either the River or FD. It also locks onto a line much tighter than those two. It does a lot of Teebird-like lines, but it is more versatile because it has a touch of high speed turn. The fade is a little less biting than a PD. Compared to MVP's mids, the Volt is between the Vector and Axis, closer to the Vector (but not as LSS).

River is way less fading than the PD so that description does not mean much to me and doesn't give clearly superior view over the competition if it still turns. But the added description of the blue one sounds way more to my liking than the pink. The River turns at power when new too but it ain't terrible when there is no wind.

Waxy plastic does not arouse a hard on if it is like at least Omegas recently. If it is bees wax type of tacky waxyness -jooooyyyyyy!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:10 am

discspeed wrote:
rusch_bag wrote:Great another disc from MVP that will be hard to land where you want it to. :\

This means you suck.

You need to pull your head out of your ass about MVPs products. No where near as good as you think they are. The only disc that I have thrown that I would even consider putting in my bag based on flight alone is the anode and it went way too far and was so hard to control its range with that it had no chance either. Somehow you and Mike C have managed to convince all of DGCR that they are the greatest things ever and you are making them all worse golfers by doing so.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment