Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Postby Three Puttz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 am

CatPredator wrote:I went and compared the whole stock of Katanas, Kraits, DD2s, Bosses, and Destroyers at the shop a few days ago and there was so much variation it was almost not funny. There are a lot of patterns related to color, weight, dome, and PLH though. For example, [IIRC] the 165 DD2s were all merlot and had pretty big domes and high PLH, while the Blues looked like the had a nice glidey dome and regular PLH and were all 149-150, and the green/yellows were flatter and lighter. The specifics might be off, but you get the idea. I looked at a ton of them, and the trends were pretty consistent within each mold, for that run. Different runs will probably mold up differently though.

Three Puttz wrote:I've never thrown a destroyer and this katana is my first, so I wouldn't know if it mislabled. I may just chalk it up as a one time defect and grab another katana and a dd2 anyways. If those are also overstable as hell, then I'll know its just me.

If you want a "good" katana, look for one with a moderate sized dome and a PLH/wing that sits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, not the highest, but not the lowest. Same goes for pretty much all the molds. Unless you're looking for a freak, don't get one that is super flat or ridiculously domey. Set them down on the counter at the shop and compare them.

Unfortunately, I live in the sticks. Most of my disc purchases are made online. There are a couple local shops that I haven't checked yet, but the ones that I have been to have had very limited selections. To give you an idea, out of all the places I've been, Dick's has had the widest variety and the only drivers they had were Beasts, Wraiths and Valks in dx and a couple champ Beasts.
Three Puttz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

Yea, bummer. Lots of sites will take requests in online orders for specific characteristics in a disc, but it's pretty tough to know what exactly to request with these Blizzards! My experience is that flat is bad, but giant poppy dome is ok on some of them. Sounds like your Katana is something of a dud though. Even domey ones with a high PLH shouldn't be that overstable.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby steven » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 pm

how are the 150 apes doing as true overstable discs? overhands and sidearms? are the apes as dome as the others? how do they fly?

thx
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby steven » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:54 pm

nobody throwing the 150ish blizzard apes?
steven
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:42 pm

steven wrote:nobody throwing the 150ish blizzard apes?

not that overstable. your better off trying a blizzard destroyer.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I've seen some sick hyzer flip lines thrown with the blizzard apes. The guys who throw them like them because they will pop up and lock into a line. The problem is that sometimes that line is not the line you wanted as they will track more right before locking in.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby steven » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 pm

bummer. i just got 3 reds, moderate dome. no bubbles in flight plate. i was hoping they would be beefier than my 150 blizz bosses, which are very stable and awesome.
are the destroyers consistently the most (over)stable of all the blizzard discs?
steven
Tree Magnet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 am

I dunno, i had a domey yellow 156 and that bitch was stable. I traded it away cuz I couldn't get it to go anywhere, way more stable than any of the 150ish bosses I've thrown
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 am

steven wrote:bummer. i just got 3 reds, moderate dome. no bubbles in flight plate. i was hoping they would be beefier than my 150 blizz bosses, which are very stable and awesome.
are the destroyers consistently the most (over)stable of all the blizzard discs?

I only have a light one so no personal data but on the PDGA board someone said that his turns a little. So nope for consistency.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 pm

I found a 156ish Blizzard Boss a few weeks ago and I've had it in my bag for max D. I have some form issues that are keeping me from really getting the most from this disc. I can get it near 375' on a good throw (RHBH), but it tends to be much more errant than my other discs (which I know is in part because of the faster speed), and I can sometimes match it's distance within 0' to 20' with other discs (Valk and Sword for instance).

So while I know I have form issues to work on, I wanted to see if there is a general rule of thumb that you guys use with these discs. For instance, how far would you say a player should throw them before they are of much advantage (relative to other discs)? I realize this is entirely subjective on the thrower, the disc, etc, but give me your thoughts.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm

My 134 Boss is too much for me for ultimate distance but once it breaks in look out! Blizzzards vary so who knows. I'm a little over 400' thrower before surgery and i haven't tested my current D but mids fly farther now. I'd say i'm on the slow side of 400' throwers with usually 50+ MPH throws with moderately good spin (20 rps at best last year). I haven't checked current revs either now that i snap better.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ljerome » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm

With blizzard discs, Destroyer is the most overstable. I've heard the same from about 6-7 people. Most are throwing Blizz Boss and Katana.
ljerome
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Katana

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Any news on how DD2's fly? I'm wondering if it might work as a max D driver for an under 400' player like myself. My 156 Blizzard Boss needs quite a bit of power for me to make it fly a slightly understable line, and my 148 Katana was too touchy.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 am

I have Katanas at different weights and the 156 is good for hyzer flips at 400' power so even more friendly for sub 400' throwers. The 8 grams difference counts unless i had lemons or your 148 is more overstable than my 150. If you get a 159 it would be even better for golfability. And low 130s Bosses are way way easier to toss than heavy Bosses and mine is still beefy except in stiff winds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Three Puttz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Any news on how DD2's fly? I'm wondering if it might work as a max D driver for an under 400' player like myself. My 156 Blizzard Boss needs quite a bit of power for me to make it fly a slightly understable line, and my 148 Katana was too touchy.
I have a freaky overstable 129g katana, which almost turned me off of Blizz champ altogether. I decided I'd pick up a couple more to test out and went with a 149 DD2. I also tried to order a factory second katana to compare to the first katana, but they shipped a boss instead. I believe the weight of the boss is 139, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, the boss is more stable than the DD2, but not by a whole lot. In fact, I'm really starting to enjoy the DD2. You have to be careful in any kind of wind, but in calm conditions, I can throw it without having to worry about turning it over and it has a tendency to glide out pretty far before it starts to fade. The only problem is that all of these blizz discs are so inconsistent, so I have no idea if my DD2 is behaving the way a typical DD2 should behave. Either way, I really like it.

Oh and I usually throw valks about 350 feet with the occasional throw getting out to about 400. I've been hitting 400 consistently with the DD2 in calm conditions, so it works pretty well for this noodle arm , but with the consistency issues of blizz molds, I can only cautiously recommend it.
Three Puttz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment