2 Disc setup reccomendation

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2 Disc setup reccomendation

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

jubuttib wrote:
pc9460 wrote:How much distance can I get on a mid-range driver?
Any recommendations for one also?
There really is no upper limit, it all depends on your form and skill. To start with 200+ feet isn't that hard, 250+ will come in time, 300+ isn't really that hard once you develop a knack for throwing and pros can throw them over 400'.

As for suggestions, there are a few ways you can go about it. If you want a very versatile mid that works on a variety of lines and distances and will teach you proper form (because it'll fly like crap if you throw it bad) the Comet is just about unbeatable. Z will probably have the longest lifecycle and be easiest for a beginner, but will still fly straight like a putter on sub 100' shots. With clean form you can also really power it, 300' straight shot with a flat release is probably my favorite shot with the Comet. The Axis from MVP is along the same vein but somewhat faster and depending on the thrower it can be more touchy (for me it is, for many others the Comet is).

Some more user friendly mids would include the Buzzz and the MD2, which are both faster and straight'ish mids (the best D, P and C-MD2's are dead straight when powered), and a DX Roc will initially give you some overstability but beats into a magnificent straight mid range.

If it was me and I was on a budget (limited to baseline plastic) I'd most likely go for either a DX Aviar or a D-Line P2 putter combined with a D-Line MD2 mid range.

This.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:47 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:get the DX, r-pro beats in quickly.
The floppy putter R-Pro doesn't beat in, ever. Just ask Varsi. And I can vouch for my own P-P1, I don't throw it anymore, having moved on to more overstable molds, but for the first 3 years of my disc golf career it didn't really change at all.

You and I have had different experiences with r-pro, the couple of r-pro aviars I tried got gouged up really quick
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm

The Comet, although a good disc for teaching form, may be a little too punishing. And he will want a disc thats good in a mild headwind. A roc should do that and teach him about the flight characteristics of a disc as it ages. I say a roc, about 165-170 grams.

FYI : Discs are sold in different weights, measured in grams usually shown on the bottom of the disc. A putter I would recommend 170.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm

comets can handle a headwind.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
jubuttib wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:get the DX, r-pro beats in quickly.
The floppy putter R-Pro doesn't beat in, ever. Just ask Varsi. And I can vouch for my own P-P1, I don't throw it anymore, having moved on to more overstable molds, but for the first 3 years of my disc golf career it didn't really change at all.

You and I have had different experiences with r-pro, the couple of r-pro aviars I tried got gouged up really quick

I haven't thrown R-Pro Aviars but the P1 Maniac is durable. Roc takes at least cosmetic damage something the P1 will only take on rocks with glass and perhaps hitting the basket hard. Rhyno and Pig get nicks easily. R-Pro is different floppy in the Darts at least the first ones i haven't touched them later. Maybe there are lots of R-Pro blends just like there are over 200 Star blends.

The recommendation for a new player is gonna be different than to an experienced player. For the fastest skill development i would not use drivers and the Coyote and the Warship go plenty far without being as touchy and infuriating as Comets/Fuses/Axis. Make no mistake each of those discs are great when you get good form and clean releases. That is the big if for new players. And in headwinds as i saw the Comet flip yesterday. The Warship flips more than the Coyote so it needs less power to be thrown on different lines.

Putters will teach you the quickest and because both the Coyote and the Warship are long for a mid the putter does not need to be. So i'd pick a putter suiting your preferred putting style and in an ideal world it would drive well and feel comfortable in the hand. Those are so personal things that nobody can guess what works for you. People with large hands dislike thin putters and people with small hands abhor tall putters. Pitch putters often like less gliding fading putters and laser putters love fast gliding low to no fade putters. Even tackiness matters as some like slick discs and most need tacky ones. This may be confusing if you don't know a lot of putters so for a laser putter soft APX is moderate in height suitable for all hand sizes with tackiness speed and glide great for laser putts sucking in the wind and drives. Anode is also moderate slick and fast plus gliding so good for laser putts and great for driving and doesn't mind winds. I don't pitch putt so just looking at a flight chart or what the best throwers use may help. The best players use Magics and Aviar big beads AKA Aviar drivers and often in KC Pro plastic. KC Pro Aviar drives well too. It is bulky for small hands and it's been manufactured in different blends and some are hard and slick some fairly stiff but somewhat tacky. You should pick what you like remembering that rain and dew make discs slicker so getting a tacky disc helps a lot with not having the disc to slip out and you gotta use a towel.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NeuralBlaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 pm

I'll defer to JR's wisdom on the Coyote or Warship, as I was going to recommend a MVP Vector or Axis in the mid slot, based on the consistency of MVP and my good luck with them. I had a Champ Coyote for a bit and liked it, but didn't have a space for it in my bag. It was picked up by a friend of mine who returned it to the community disc pool after getting his own. My other buddy picked it up after that and bags it to this day. I think the guy who bought his own Coyote after throwing mine recently tried a Warship and has been absolutely killing it with it off the tee and long approaches.

I'm also with JR on the putter recommendations. I'd suggest an Anode possibly, I throw one myself along with Wizards. I threw Magics last season and still like them a bunch, the Anode has just taken their spot in my bag.

For an intermediate to advanced player I'd suggest either the Anode or Ion for the putter and the Vector or Axis for the mid.

A beginner should be able to do fine with this setup but I'd take JR's advice and go the Coyote/Warship route for the mid - Coyote should be the most readily available.

Another option for a more advanced player or a longer course would be either an Eagle and a putter. Eagle could easily be substituted for a Teebird or Leopard depending on preference.

Personally I would bag a PD or River, which roughly correspond to a Teebird and Leopard respectively. My heavier river is slightly more eagle than leopard, but I'm confident a decent thrower could hit a similar line with all three.
Wizard // JOKERi // Anode // Fuse // Axis // Vector // Firebird // Amp // River // PD
NeuralBlaze
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Given power Rivers fly like a Leo only farther and a little more fade. Very modest fade still. At those distances only the Sidewinder fades less at the moment.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Triton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 am

Anode and River. Anode for putting and mid range driving. River can work a lot of lines. Those 2 discs could cover a good range of shots. They would be a couple good discs to learn with until your power requires a faster driver.
Destroyer, Tern, PD,XXX, Tee Bird, Roc, Judge
Triton
Noob

Postby andrew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

My girlfriend uses a 2 disc Cyclone/Wizard bag and I borrowed it for a round a couple weeks ago and, holy crap that Cyclone can really shape a lot of lines. Unfortunately I gave her a demo with it and now I'll never get it from her....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby zenn0913 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 am

I have been really digging the Warship/Pure combo. I've found the Warship is very workable and still get some very good low line D with it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
zenn0913
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby thenewplaid » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm also new to this sport ... how would you experienced players feel about a newb going with a Vibram Ibex and Sole as a 2-disc set?
thenewplaid
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Welcome. They have lots of protection against user error so great for scoring well soon but not the quickest teachers of good technique because they won't always show what you did wrong.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 am

Sole would probably tell you what you're doing pretty well, it's not really all that stable.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am

The sole is very stable
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 pm

the sole is a pretty neautral disc, i would say stable.

I played a round with a super stingray and a voodoo the other day, work really well.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment