A little rant about boutique (rare) discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bigs348 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:13 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:and hes only 11, If I knew the faimly I Would kick the dad in the butt and tell him that its aswome his son can save money for what he wants (and make sure he tells his son this) and then kick him in the butt again untill he realizes he should have stepped in and taught his kid a lesson in money managment. Oh and mabey a lesson on disc selection, dosnt everyone else think a ce roc would be too much disc for just abotu any 11 year old?

Actually, Dave Jr. could destroy at least half of us (those who post here) out on the course. He recently set the distance record for 10 and under boys at 399'. I've seen him throw farther than that, but you have to have certain conditions and officials there to get a record validated. And his putting is even better.

I figure, if the kid wants a CE Roc, the kid wants a CE Roc. His dad didn't run out and buy it for him. I think the kid did learn a lesson in money management -- he had to save up money for months to get it, and it sucks that he lost it. Most kids will save up and buy an X-box -- I vote for the Roc.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am

Dirty,

Remember the stories about Tiger Woods when he was six on the tv? What clubs should he have been using?

Love ya man, but if the kid is a prodigy - let him throw whatever he wants...

Interesting story, hope he finds the Roc.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Weebl » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:15 pm

bigs348 wrote:Most kids will save up and buy an X-box -- I vote for the Roc.

Best damn declaration I've heard all day.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 pm

thats insane if the kid can really throw that well. I geuss Im out of the loop ;-) he can probably handle a CE roc better than I could. I wasnt saying that its wrong for him to want it or anything, I just think his dad could have helped him from learning the lesson the hard way. at the same time he should be able to spend his money how he wants. (fyi this is all coming from someone who paid $ for all his bycicles, skateboards ect since he was 8, and cars, insurance, cell phones ect since I was 16, Ive learned plenty of things by mistake, but at 11 or how old, a 120$ mistake is a big mistake)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby didihitatree » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:37 pm

When I was 11, I really wanted a guitar. Not just any guitar, but a Fender Stratocaster. Because that's what Clapton and Hendrix and Beck and everyone else played.

So I did just like that kid and I mowed lawns and babysat. And after many months, I bought my (rich) friend's 1979 Fender Stratocaster for $300. I took it home, plugged in the amp... and I sucked. So then I decided what was missing was a Marshall amp, so I mowed lawns and babysat and after many months, I bought a used Marshall ... and I sucked. So then I mowed lawns and babysat, and I used the money for actual guitar lessons. And after awhile, I didn't suck so bad. :wink:

But then a few years later, I decided I had to have an Ibanez just like Joe Satriani uses... and a few years after that... :lol:

Nowadays, I play $200 Yamaha beater guitars because I know the equipment doesn't matter that much. They're easy to replace, and I don't worry constantly worry about dropping them and cracking the neck. But I still have that old Fender, and sometimes I (gently) take it out and play and it just feels cool to be playing the same thing my heroes used.

They're just toys, know what I mean? You get older and the toys change and get more expensive, but it can't be all investing and college funds and thinking about the future. If you only get enjoyment out of being completely awesome at disc golf and you think a $100 disc is going to do miracles, then you have a problem. But if you just like having cool discs or whatever, and you really enjoy throwing them around then it's never a bad purchase.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 am

Nothing like reviving an old thread...

Dave Wiggins, Jr. (the 11 year old who lost the 2001 CE Roc) shot a 1020 rated round this past weekend at the Sneaky Pete A-Tier down in North Carolina. The kid's got game.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 am

bigs348 wrote:Nothing like reviving an old thread...

Dave Wiggins, Jr. (the 11 year old who lost the 2001 CE Roc) shot a 1020 rated round this past weekend at the Sneaky Pete A-Tier down in North Carolina. The kid's got game.

Jesus Christ. That is game...
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby chachi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:44 pm

didihitatree wrote:They're just toys, know what I mean? You get older and the toys change and get more expensive, but it can't be all investing and college funds and thinking about the future. If you only get enjoyment out of being completely awesome at disc golf and you think a $100 disc is going to do miracles, then you have a problem. But if you just like having cool discs or whatever, and you really enjoy throwing them around then it's never a bad purchase.

man, great post. i used to have a serious music gear/ebay habit when i first got into tech work and had all this money lying around suddenly. years later, 90% of it is gone, but now my ebay habit is ramping back up again. $10 here and there feels a lot better than $300-$1000 here and there.
chachi
Tree Magnet

Postby Hoey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:26 pm

Furthur wrote:
bigs348 wrote:Nothing like reviving an old thread...

Jesus Christ. That is game...

wow. amazing. I feel like a loser... :D

any recent news with this kid?
I'm glad I live in New England.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 pm

bogies are free wrote:wow. amazing. I feel like a loser... :D

any recent news with this kid?
I'm glad I live in New England.

He's on the "Scout Team" for Innova now. I think he recently set another distance record for his age group (480-some feet I believe) too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Amateur » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Watch for yourself. IMO If he sticks with DG he has potential to break Sandstrom's record.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Lowe » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:57 am

bigs348 wrote:Dave Wiggins, Jr. (the 11 year old who lost the 2001 CE Roc) shot a 1020 rated round this past weekend at the Sneaky Pete A-Tier down in North Carolina. The kid's got game.

The only question is "how old will he be he wins Pro Worlds in the Open division for the first time?"

OK, maybe there are other questions about David Wiggins Jr. too...
-How many distance records will he set?
-How many Pro Open World Championships will he win?
-When will he win his first USDGC?
Lowe
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:08 am

Aw man, if you'd have let it go just a month longer it'd have been a year since anyone posted in this thread! Way to get impatient!
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby tumpsi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:02 pm

David Wiggins Jr. threw a 175m (574 feet) bomb today at the Big D in the Desert. 8)
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby 10891 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 am

Wow. Holy freakin' wow. And I'm from NC, have seen Little Dave throw, and had my butt handed to me by him in tourneys more than once (his 1020's at Sneeky Pete were on my home course, yes that was just one of the times he's whooped me). I hear he's playing pro at the Renny Clash this year. For those that don't know, thats's our state USDGC qualifier. Will he win? Probably not. Will he qualify? I wouldn't put it past him but wouldn't guarantee it either. Will he put on one hell of a show? You better believe it.
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment