Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Same here, where the Sword excels is neutral flight, no matter what angle you put on it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:04 pm

The Sword is still my main D driver. In fact, it's the one disc I showcased to the MVP guys as an example of what I'd like to see from them in a D driver.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm starting to think about building my drivers around this. How would you, or how do you, compliment this mold? I would think it needs a more stable mold for headwinds (not talking about Firebird overstable) and a less stable mold for tailwinds...maybe a slower disc with a narrower rim.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:08 pm

First of all have you thrown one in a headwind? It should handle moderate steady winds at your power. Gusts swirling are another matter. You may be able to get by without adding a more HSS disc until you develop more power. Then a Force. Understable means longer. So that would more likely to be longer at your power so a light Blizzzard like Katana or Boss or even 130s Wraith.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:18 am

I'd try the Mamba for understable duties. It has a similar speed/glide/range, but gets very different light lines.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:21 pm

discspeed wrote:I'd try the Mamba for understable duties. It has a similar speed/glide/range, but gets very different light lines.

I found one on a course and gave it a toss and it seemed to need too much hyzer to be comfortable for big drives. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise, but I think it might be too understable.

How does the Flow match up with the Sword?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 am

The same disc one speed notch slower thus shorter if you get a domey Opto Flow. Otherwise it's a coin toss which kind you get but stay away from the flippy flat ones. Not a fan of Gold Line in this mold.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 am

Not seen a Flow that's quite as HSS as a Sword. They're pretty close overall, and seem related, but the Sword really seems like a better evolution version of the Flow.

Personally I also felt that the Flow has better glide and more distance potential, but the Sword is more accurate.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 pm

jubuttib wrote:Not seen a Flow that's quite as HSS as a Sword. They're pretty close overall, and seem related, but the Sword really seems like a better evolution version of the Flow.

Personally I also felt that the Flow has better glide and more distance potential, but the Sword is more accurate.

Only the very domey Flows can math or almost match the HSS of the Sword. High PLH Opto FLow of course. Distance potential riding the rear left winds the Flow with less LSS does work. On golf shots the faster Sword is a little longer for me.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 am

I'm back to the GL Sword for distance after testing Z & ESP Nukes, Tournament & VIP Kings, champ & star Bosses, Opto Flows, C-DD2s, Pro & star Destroyers, icon Cannon, GL Bolt, star Katana, and just tried an overstable Opto Halo.

I like that with good snap the Sword will turn a little without having to add a lot of anny release like I'm forced to do to flex out a newer Boss for max D. After yesterday's round, I had a final shootout and my best Sword pulls were around 425' with a five step run up.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 pm

That is golf distance defined but you do have power for longer less consistent discs for open long holes and must push or throwing over obstacles shots. So light blizzard Boss, light Nuke or light VIP domey high PLH King. Out of those the King is the most consistent and golfable thanks to the lowest power requirement. The individual disc based flight variations in Kings aren't consistent i'm afraid. For me the King is still a hair shorter than Nukes and Bosses but the Bosses need a perfect shot to outfly the King. Sword is definitely shorter than those three by a good margin if you can make the distance kings fly well. A bog of but sometimes there is little to no risk and mostly award so you can get jiggy with it.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 am

I like the VIP King. I used it for most of my max D shots for close to a year. My merlot red Kings started off the most stable, then the dark blue, then the purply red, and the light color green was more flippy than the yellow tournament King I had along the lines of the orange colorshifts I had. I like the King for tailwind shots where I could release it flat and get a stable straight flight with very late reliable fade. On a flatish release the merlot kings handle a slight headwind, turn a second, then fade 20-30' where into the same 10mph headwind the dark blue turnover 10-15 feet before fading back just left of neutral.

I've had some 450' pulls with my 150 blizzard boss and one really far 157 blizzard boss throw that flipped 30' right into a moderate headwind fading back to just right of neutral and in the middle of the lake I was trying to clear. I'll probably buy some more bliz bosses but picking them up in good used condition isn't easy. Folks snatch them up quickly on DGCR and get $12 for new where used everything else is $7-9 for non-Lat/Westside plastic.

I was measuring all my disks with the King as a benchmark and the Sword was longer than the King for me. I think it can take a slight anny and flex for more distance where too much anny on a king can go right and stay right. Also left to right winds pushes my kings way right. The Sword also loves the flatish release, which I prefer, has enough HSS to really get on it and the LSS isn't destroyer not going to be flipped massive fade.

I had a ESP Nuke that I threw in a lake last year that I could really bomb. My problem with Nukes is that when I really want to crush one out there the Nukes occasionally have a mind of there own and I end up with a 300' ah shit :x

Only two Swords, Kings, Bosses, and Nukes. Willing to trade for more Swords, pretty please... don't tell my wife :)
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 am

I think it is pretty rare for someone to throw the Sword farther than the King because of the speed and glide difference. Sure the Kings fade hard when they start but the fade starts so late.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby turso » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 am

I find that tossing the king much farther than a sword is difficult because of its inherent understability, on any reasonable golf lines anyhow. Haven't gotten my hands on a stableish king though, maybe they can take more of a rip.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 pm

You might me right JR. I resently changed my grip/pull (trying to get more thumb pressure and reachback) and have set new personal bests on my two favorite home courses in the last three weeks. I'm getting my Ion 275-290' on a full run up when I was lucky to hit 250' before.

Anyway, when I had my final shootout I may not have given my Kings a fair side by side using my new grip and straighter elbow. When those few Sword hucks hit 425' and the bosses and nukes weren't as consistant I decided on the Sword. I forgot to mention the six Flows I tested as well, also for trade :)

What do I know, I also just dropped PDs for Orcs after bagging three PDs for 8-9 months. The Orc just feels better in my hand especially when I flick. I need to get some new footage up and ask for some more advice while I'm still transitioning to my new form before I commit any more bad habits to muscle memory.

turso wrote:I find that tossing the king much farther than a sword is difficult because of its inherent understability, on any reasonable golf lines anyhow. Haven't gotten my hands on a stableish king though, maybe they can take more of a rip.

I've found that Kings vary greatly depending on the color you get. Check my pic above, second row. The first two merlot red are more stable than the dark blue and much more stable than the purply red. The green VIP (flipped it and lost in the bamboo) was a go right and little to no fade turnover machine... wish I still had that one. :(

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment