Mid Range Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mid Range Question

Postby pask2155 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm looking for a beginner midrange disc... I don't have a ton of power with midrange because when I do I get very inaccurate... So what's a very straight midrange disc that will go the furthest with little power? Also what weight generally is best for midranges?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Mid Range Question

Postby riltim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

166-170g comet is a great mid for someone just starting out.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Ryan C » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I disagree with the idea that new players want light discs all the time. I would say it depends on how strong and athletic you are to begin with. For my wife, I'd probably get in the mid-160's, but that's not what I'd recommend for someone my size. I think a Comet is a good suggestion, but I think the have to assess your natural ability first. If you are a small guy, you might go down to 170g, but I'd recommend a Comet in the mid to upper 170's if you have a sports background of any kind.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JTdisc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 pm

I vote for a Discraft Buzzz. Seems to handle low power well, goes pretty straight and far. For Innova, I have decent luck starting out with a Shark.

I like midranges in low 170s weights, especially if you aren't throwing them at full power.

Not sure the Comet would be a good disc to start out with. It's famous for showing you all the things you're doing wrong with your form, which is great on the practice field, but very frustrating on the course. Stick with a Buzzz for now.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Saint

Postby money 21 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01 pm

i have seen alot of new players recently have good success with the wedge.
Last edited by money 21 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby keltik » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Comet. There is no other viable option.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby lowracks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Comet, Buzzz SS, Shark
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Mid Range Question

Postby Cavere » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Axis or buzz for working on your throws and fuse for distance or turnovers without much power.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby andrew » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 pm

While I use it now as my straightest mid, as a beginner I couldn't get a Buzzz straight nor has any beginner I've ever handed it to. I can't explain why not. I instead got my dad a Mako for Christmas and it is the only disc he can throw straight.
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby pask2155 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

So what I'm gathering is a comet is to advanced for a beginner? And so are buzzes?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 pm

174 X Buzzz was the second mid I ever bought, Z Comet was the first. I've tested a number of mids but I've come back to Buzzzes.

Get a X Buzzz and after half of season of trees it'll be easier to turnover to the right at which time add a Z Buzzz to your bag for stable shots in a color you like as you'll be throwing it for a long time. I agree with finding the weight that works for you talk mentioned earlier.

If the money isn't burning a hole in your wallet, go to the local league(s) or courses, play with better players, ask/beg/pay to throw their plastic and get a feel for something you like before spending $20 on a potential dog bowl.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 pm

pask2155 wrote:So what I'm gathering is a comet is to advanced for a beginner? And so are buzzes?

Are Buzzzes and Comets too advanced for a beginner to learn with? Not at all. When pask2155 learns to throw them flat and straight he becomes a much better player by doing so.

In a weird way a disc can teach the game to a player. Even without a veteran player giving tips, if a beginner takes a Buzzz out to a field and only tries to throw flat and straight ( not far, not on a particular line, just flat and straight) and makes adjustments until he does so, he will learn the correct angle of release. The disc does not lie. Watch what it does and it will tell you how you released it.

Whatever form you use to make a disc go flat and straight is an effective form.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 am

Buzzz ain't a difficult disc to learn with quite the opposite because it is so forgiving. In fact for quickness of learning it is too forgiving if it ain't a Pro D one that breaks into flippy soon on hard surfaces. The Buzzz sure is a lot less aggravating to learn with than the Comet.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 am

shark.

buzzzes are alright but have a lot of LSS due to being faster so I don't know if that would be ideal. Maybe an X buzzz but def not a Z.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 am

Z will break in while he is learning and at first FH is easier to master with the more forgiving Z than the X or ESP. But if grip is an issue the ESP and X are good choices too but not as forgiving. Shark sucks for winds and definitely is ole teknology in flipping too much and fading too much for a mid. You can manipulate the flight paths fine with the Buzzz even in Z although straight shots for a new player is a problem and that is of course the domain of putter drives. Another great teacher so that is why one could do with a Buzzz. Lets face it to motivate people new players need easy to throw discs. If you wanna keep people out of the game their bag should be Epic, Optimizer and Comet with a lid thrown in as long as it ain't a Rattler or a Zephyr possibly Ultra-Star too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Equipment