Comparison Credentials

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Comparison Credentials

Postby Drowsy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

I am always wondering, when looking at this forum, how far people can throw, and also how far their golf distance is, as well as how long they have been playing. I think these stats are very important as I see a lot of redundant how far can you throw a ( insert disc here ) replies. It would also be very useful to have each stat attached to the disc of choice for a wide open max D drive, and a preferred disc for controlled distance. Having both would give people an overall idea of how that persons skill differs from theirs, and whether a disc they use and recommend would fly similiar if thrown by you.
Last edited by Drowsy on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Re: The Project

Postby Drowsy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm

A simple addition to your sig, with something like this would be hugely helpful -

Max / Destroyer 425 | Controlled / Teebird 375 | 12 years
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Re: Comparison Credentials

Postby garublador » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 am

I'm not sure it would be as helpful as you think. You pretty much have to just learn who you agree with the most.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby turso » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am

agree with me, I throw like 800' with a challenger!
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Timko » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 pm

garublador wrote:I'm not sure it would be as helpful as you think. You pretty much have to just learn who you agree with the most.

This.

I throw like 450' with a paper plate chicken winged.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Drowsy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:41 pm

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with somebody. It's a matter of whether or not you would throw a disc the same way as somebody who says it flies a certain way.
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Everything on here is relative, I don't think everyone typing out their stats is useful and I don't think everyone needs to write an essay like JR about how the disc was thrown at 3 degrees of hyzer to 358' into a 5 mph headwind. You just got to be smart about it and think about your game when reading other peoples' reviews.

Plus we police pretty well here so if someone is giving dumb advice, it gets called out pretty quickly. We don't need sig stats for that.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: The Project

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:01 am

Drowsy wrote:A simple addition to your sig, with something like this would be hugely helpful -

Max / Destroyer 425 | Controlled / Teebird 375 | 12 years

While this sounds good in theory, I have to agree with others that it would not really be helpful. Here's why...Not many people measure their distances with actual measuring tools, more often it's based on the holes they can reach at their home course. Course distances are often either wrong or deceiving due to elevation changes/forced lines based on obstacles. So the distances aren't that helpful. Years playing is also quite arbitrary. I've seen people who have played 20 years and not expanded their game outside of their initial skill set, and a few others that seem to grasp the sport nearly in it's entirety within a year or two of picking it up. Some play 3 rounds a day, some 3 days a week, and others 3 days a month...

Individual throwing style is also a huge factor, especially since it is hard to self evaluate. You will find many players identical in overall scoring ability/distance/experience can throw the same disc and describe it very differently.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby keltik » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm a good example of why sig stats are beguiling.

5 years playing, can throw over 400 with a fairway driver. PDGA rating = 785. Yes, that's right I'm rated for Novice. In the tourneys I've played I made poor disc/shot selections and posted bad scores. My greatest victory is placing 3rd in Rec at an Ice Bowl. Yeah sure I can tell you how to throw far I just can't tell you how to play GOLF. and isn't that the point of all this? Golf?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 am

We do take the level of the person being responded to into account and do give comparisons between his level and another level too. When we can. That is way more accurate than 10 years 430' flukes with skips and on hard surface 448' with skips and sliding, air shots 415' max without skips and glide, rollers no idea because 500' at high speed disc straight up no wind flat ground hitting the sports field fence and never trying it out elsewhere and golf distance 400' with sometimes over and under but still puttable. Sea level so humid air that is making the discs more understable and slower than at altitude. The humidity ain't the reason the altitude is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby veganray » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

This site is gradually turning into DGCR anyway, so I say, "Go for it!"
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby money 21 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am

veganray wrote:This site is gradually turning into DGCR anyway, so I say, "Go for it!"

come on Ray i haven't heard someone suggest putting with a boss on here in quite a while.

Back to the original post just weed out the advice. look at what more then one person says on the site. the stats of the person asking advice are more important then the person giving it on this site.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 am

keltik wrote:...5 years playing, can throw over 400 with a fairway driver. PDGA rating = 785...

C'mon man, really? Do you putt with your eyes closed?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
keltik wrote:...5 years playing, can throw over 400 with a fairway driver. PDGA rating = 785...

C'mon man, really? Do you putt with your eyes closed?

I wish that were the case. but no I'm just a bad player with a big arm.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I almost want to see you play, I have that hard of a time believing that you're actually that bad. Most of the FW2/FW1 players around here are 800ish rated and aren't touching 400 in two throws let alone with a fairway driver...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Next

Return to Equipment