The use of cell phones during tourney play...

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The use of cell phones during tourney play...

Postby BLURR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:53 am

So, an interesting topic has emerged from Worlds this year. It seems as though many of the top pro's are getting bent out of shape about players being on their cell phones during the rounds. Now, they aren't making phone calls, but just sending texts/emails/fb posts/etc. If the ringer/sound is turned off, I don't see why these guys are trying to stroke players.

According to section 3.1, item C, of the player conduct code:
C. Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players.

I figure as long as they aren't using it as a gps measuring device and the sound is turned off, who really cares?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: The use of cell phones during tourney play...

Postby keltik » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58 am

I think it has to do with the Masters+ aged guys getting annoyed with the younger players paying more attention to their phones than the game. I personally wouldn't want the distraction of a smart phone while in a big tournament like this. Any other time I wouldn't be upset. But my wife and I have been shaking our heads at the pervasiveness of this activity in daily life. People in general nowadays seem to want to play with their phones more than they want to interact with the world around them. It's quite disturbing actually.

I say they deserve the penalty strokes.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm

If it isn't making any noise why do they care? If it's just because they don't like it then I would tell them to suck it up and quit being a baby. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have the right to tell someone to stop doing it.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Itchy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 am

Keltik: Was stopped at a stop light with cross traffic going on a green light a couple days ago and some 15/16 year old kid texting on a phone crossed the street without even looking up. Brakes locking up, tires squealing and horns honking... kid didn't even look up, I'm not sure he even knew he'd crossed through traffic. I guess Darwin's dead.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Leopard » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 pm

1 stroke penalty according to 809.13: Feelings About Society
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:50 pm

A lot of people around here use a score keeping app on their phones and it has saved strokes/fixed errors numerous times. I have no problem with it as long as it isn't making noise.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby warobert » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I still prefer to object to smartphones on the rangefinding capability. If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

How would you prove that it is capable? Does it have to have software designed to measure? Or is it hardware that if used with software is capable of measuring?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm

warobert wrote:I still prefer to object to smartphones on the rangefinding capability. If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.

The rule is:
The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

It's ok to carry just not use.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 am

warobert wrote: If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.

And herein lies the cause of most rule discrepancies and manufactured rules... Why not look it up instead?
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80204-artificial-devices
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby warobert » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for looking up the actual text. I was too lazy to walk to my bag and get the rule book out.

So how do I know that the guy is putting his score into his phone and not checking the distance to the pin using google earth? It looks the same while standing in the fairway. Also, is their any guidance for the "director" in how to rule on multi function devices that are capable of violating 802.04 A but also could be used for non rules infringing purposes?
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Leopard wrote:1 stroke penalty according to 809.13: Feelings About Society

Agreed. :mrgreen:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby keltik » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Leopard wrote:1 stroke penalty according to 809.13: Feelings About Society

ZAMson you are funny.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

warobert wrote:Thanks for looking up the actual text. I was too lazy to walk to my bag and get the rule book out.

So how do I know that the guy is putting his score into his phone and not checking the distance to the pin using google earth? It looks the same while standing in the fairway. Also, is their any guidance for the "director" in how to rule on multi function devices that are capable of violating 802.04 A but also could be used for non rules infringing purposes?

1) If you make the rule to state that it is illegal to carry anything that could help you guage distances beyond 10m you couldn't play the game. if you hold a disc up at arms length the profile of the disc will visually cover up more of the basket the farther away you are. So now all of your discs are illegal measuring devices.

2) Take your cell phone out to a course and actually use it to guage distances on a course and see if
a) It wouldn't be painfully obvious what you are doing or
b) It would be so inaccurate that you wouldn't care if someone tried to use it that way. Seriously try to use google
earth effectively to guage distances during a round.
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Postby JimW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:23 pm

The one issue I have with the use of phones and such is that when players are throwing the other members of their group are supposed to be watching to observe rules violations, where discs go OB, etc. plus it's nice when you shank your shot into the bushes and you're not the only person who saw where it might have gone. I suppose it might be hard to write as a rule and legislate but I think it would be a nice courtesy if players only used their phones for stuff during stoppages of play (waiting for someone ahead to finish, pedestrians in the way, etc.).
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Next

Return to Rules Discussion