Mid Range Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mid Range Question

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:06 am

I don't think you know how to throw a shark man. They are pretty laser straight and can handle some wind. They are slower than buzzzes so they take less power to get going which is nice for newer players.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby pask2155 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 am

So what I am hearing is buzz is a good choice. The comet is for more skilled players. But where does the buzz ss come in at? Maybe that might be a good choice? But if so what's the difference between that and the comet. Both have a rating of 0 turn
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 am

Throw faster Frank and you'll see :-) I have thrown one successfully and thought there are so many so much better mids out there. The Shark is a moderate disc so not totally useless but you can do so much better than it. Of course it is a matter of preference but i'd rather throw something that is a) the longer more HSS lower power requirement Coyote than the Shark or b) something that is more generally usable and something you won't grow out of like the Buzzz. The Shark ain't good in the winds so it does not meet the all round use requirement of mine and when you use discs that you can use successfully throughout your career (Buzzz) you have a measure of your progress. And i still stick to my guns with the ease of sidearming the Buzzz vs the Shark and won't budge. No sir, nope, uh aa.

I agree about the lower power requirement for the Shark vs the Buzzz but my point is to throw a putter for straight shots. Those have even lower power requirement than the Shark. If one wants to throw a straighter mid than primo Buzzzes when being a new player i'd say the Coyote for longer usability during your progress than the instant gratification Warship are better than the Shark which falls under the instant gratification title too. The Shark was obsolete after the Coyote was introduced. Now it's ancient legacy like model T Ford.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 am

The coyote doesn't handle wind nearly as well as a shark, especially in primo plastic.
Frank Delicious

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 am

The Star Shark i used was flippy when new just like a Coyote. The Shark i had would turn with less power than the Coyote. I think the Shark turned at around 240' and the Coyote turns at 310'+. Of course there is over a year between throwing the Shark and the Coyote. The telling part is i donated the Shark and bag the Coyote. Wind performance for me is equal to the turning distances. If the wind ain't front quarter i have no problems with the Coyote in moderate winds. Even storm winds from the rear aren't a problem for the Coyote.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

A star shark can be thrown way past 240' without flipping. That was all you.
Frank Delicious

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 am

I don't think so based on the repeated performance and throwing much more finicky discs better. It was more likely a funky disc. It happens.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 am

So no on the shark back to the question. What's the difference in the comet and buzz ss
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Comet is slower with more glide and will turn gradually. Comet will fly further when thrown higher. Buzzz SS is faster and will turn sharper, and doesn't need as much air to get distance.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby pask2155 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 pm

So where are we guys... For a newbie the buzz, buzz ss, or comet??? Still not sure the difference of them all
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Why not buy all three and decide for yourself? I prefer the Comet, and that is what I typically recommend to everyone, newbie or otherwise.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby slowarm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

pask2155 wrote:So where are we guys... For a newbie the buzz, buzz ss, or comet??? Still not sure the difference of them all

If you only want to by one of those and don't know which one, get a pro-d buzz. A good disc and a cheap experiment.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby andrew » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:06 pm

I should have explicated that I've only thrown Z Buzzzes. Perhaps one way to summarize is: a Buzzz, Comet, Shark or several other options are all mid-range discs that can fly remarkably straight, but if they don't do so for you, don't be discouraged- it's not the disc.
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I haven't thrown Buzzz SSs because people here said that they were as beefy as Z Buzzzes. The plastic you choose with a Buzzz comes down to your preference of grip and how much user error tolerance you want. The more you get the less the disc will indicate sloppy form. So in the short term your score will be better and skills will improve slower because you think everything flies ok if that pesky putter wouldn't flip, flutter and roll :-) D Buzzz will change to flippy soon. So i'd pick any from most flippy and grippy X to ESP in between to the Z Buzzz which is the hardest fading not flipping when flat topped and high on the outside edge and concave in the wing and slippery. Since you need to ask i wouldn't get a Ti or Glo Z Buzzz at this point. The D Buzzz money can be invested into a lot more durable and better for a greater time flying harder plastic so that you don't need to buy another disc in a month or two. And not a Comet just yet to save you grey hairs :-) The time for it needs to come eventually but i'd throw the Buzzz for a few months first.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby limeydiscgolferish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 am

been playing for about 8 months now and can recommend the innova spider, when your arn gets a little bigger the cro and when you understand the game/discs a little better then a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
limeydiscgolferish
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment