Mid Range Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mid Range Question

Postby JR » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 am

Memory is coming back i think the Shark i had was actually a DX.

The Spider is a fine disc but it lives with speed. Like the Buzzz the Spider remains a useful disc as the power increases. It is an easy to throw very forgivable disc. It is good for scoring well early and poor for learning because it gives so much protection against the errors made by the thrower. At low power there is no glide with the Spider and it drops like a rock. At power it still ain't that long. Cro is a really beefy disc at lest star early ones and won't stay straight. At least if it ain't just off of the ground. The fade of a Cro is harder than that of a Buzzz.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm

So the Z buzz fades the most? Will it once it is "broke in"? Because as of now it sounds like the buzz is going to be a disc that I will grow with and so I may as well buy the durable plastic. At least that's what I'm thinking???
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm

I just don't think a Z buzzz is a great beginner's disc. It has a lot of LSS, is fairly fast, and doesn't shape lines well. A beginners disc should be able to teach the person lines and should be easy to bring up to power. That is why the shark is a good disc, it shapes lines well and can be brought up to power easily. Other mids I would recommend before the Z buzzz:

Coyote
Mako
Fuse
warship
S Scout
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

I agree with Frank about the high power requirement=difficulty of shaping each line with the Buzzz. The reason i responded with the Buzzz was the forehand and backhand requirements and the need for some user error intolerance while being straight (the Buzzz has to be thrown low to remain straight).

Coyote, Mako, Warship, S Scout each work for new players shaping more lines than the Buzzz. The Scout being the least easy to be able to thrown on each line. But after a long while it will break into being more usable. Coyote is the longest. Z Buzzz ain't the hardest fading Buzzz variant. The Ti a little more then The Glo Z are even harder fading Buzzzes than the Z. Going down in flipping resistance and fade are the ESP and the X Buzzz. D won't last a long time so i recommend against it.

I'm still wary of the Shark. At least in windy conditions and powered up. They may be fine for new players in calm weather but i suspect they aren't good in the wind. To my amazement i taught a new player today who had started this season and he got the best results out of my X Comet. That is atypically good progress. The Fuse is doubtful in the wind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am

I feel like you are worrying about wind too much here JR
Frank Delicious

Postby victorb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:31 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I feel like you too long winded here JR

ftfy
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Ask and you shall receive :-D But why push an idea and not have someone think for themselves. Silver bullet society is soon a dead society. Not everything should be handed out as ready made package. Learning to decide which discs to try and why is a valuable skill and i don't want to have him skip that thought process.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 am

JR wrote:Z Buzzz ain't the hardest fading Buzzz variant. The Ti a little more then The Glo Z are even harder fading Buzzzes than the Z.

Heavy Glow Buzzzes crush the wind.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I just don't think a Z buzzz is a great beginner's disc. It has a lot of LSS, is fairly fast, and doesn't shape lines well. A beginners disc should be able to teach the person lines and should be easy to bring up to power. That is why the shark is a good disc, it shapes lines well and can be brought up to power easily. Other mids I would recommend before the Z buzzz:

Coyote
Mako
Fuse
warship
S Scout

"User friendly" and "teaching tool" are different things. For many a beginner the most user friendly disc would be something like an Optimizer ( ie... near as flippy as a paper plate) but as a teaching tool, with much greater long range benefit, a Buzzz is great. You must manipulate a Buzzz to get it fly straight. Once that task is learned (with the proper flat angle of release) a player can apply that lesson to other discs and take a big step toward competence.

Of course a Buzzz is not the only way to learn this lesson. But it is a disc which can remain in a player's bag forever as advancing skill does make it obsolete. Just the opposite, advancing skill makes it more valuable and cherished. Buzzzes are designed to fly straight, even when thrown with power and this is one of the most useful shots in the game.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm

A Buzzz for sure. Don't worry about durability in the future or anything. If you like the Buzzz you will end up having tons and tons of them. Then you will rotate them in and out of your bag, all doing slightly different things.

I would not worry about plastic type or weight to start. Simply go to the store and pick them all up. Find the one that feels the most comfortable in your hand and buy it.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:19 pm

I feel like a guy named a buzz and a beer with a favorite disc as buzzz might not have the most objective opinion on the buzzz.
Frank Delicious

Postby zj1002 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm

I suggest getting a ZJ
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am

pask2155 wrote:So what I am hearing is buzz is a good choice. The comet is for more skilled players. But where does the buzz ss come in at? Maybe that might be a good choice? But if so what's the difference between that and the comet. Both have a rating of 0 turn
I don't know if I'd say the Comet is for more skilled players, but it is an absolutely fantastic learning tool for new disc golfers. It can handle distances between 10' and over 300', flying flat and straight the whole way, assuming your throw is clean. If your throw isn't clean, it'll tell you instantly by flipping over. That's what makes it such a great tool, because you know it's you causing it to flip when it flips. A DX Leopard for example will develop a natural turn very early, and there's almost nothing you can do about it, that's just the way it flies. The Comet naturally flies straight, so any deviation from that is your doing. It might be harder for actual disc golf, but it's a magnificent disc to learn how to throw.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 am

Frank Delicious wrote:A star shark can be thrown way past 240' without flipping. That was all you.
Even a DX Shark can be thrown way past 240' without flipping. Assuming it isn't broken or something.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 pm

My Comet record with a flat release without flipping is 350' in mild rear wind and 340' in calm weather. That Shark was bogus i can't say anything about the rest because i've only thrown one other once less than 100'.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Equipment