Gateway Samurai Review

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gateway Samurai Review

Postby BLURR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 am

I didn't find any other forums for this. So, I had a little bit of time last night to field test my E-Samurai again. I snagged a Glo Z-Nuke, Star Destroyer, ESP Force, Z Force and ESP Nuke to test it against. I was throwing on the rugby field with the freshly painted lines, so I was able to actually measure my throws with easily last night. After getting warmed up, my throws with the Nukes were settling in around 415. The Samurai was around 411. The Destroyer was averaging 405. And the Force was right about 398.

I find that it isn't the fastest disc out of that group, but it held up surprisingly well against the Nuke. If the Nuke is a Speed 13, then I would classify the Samurai as a speed 12, maybe a speed 12.5. I would say that it is a notch faster than the Destroyer and Force, but a little less than the Nuke.

The glide of the Samurai was the best of the bunch. I would give it an Innova glide rating of a 6 or 7. If you have ever thrown an Assassin, similar glide to that.

In terms of turn, I would put it in the same realm as a Nuke SS(Didn't take my SS out with me, wish I would have). Not completely flip-tastic, but not a pig either. I was able to stand it up from an 8 o'clock release and not have it crash all the way over. A very nice flip ride. When released flat, it would definitely hold the turn for quite a while before coming back left. Innova turn rating would be probably a -2.

The low speed fade isn't as abrupt as other Gateway molds either. When compared to the Destroyer and Force, I would say the low speed fade is a notch lower. So, maybe an Innova rating of +2.

I am really liking this disc a lot so far. This might Gateway's best drive mold they have ever presented. Very easy to throw and control. I would like to test it out with some varying winds to see how it performs. Might have to get another one of these so I have a backup. Very strong possibility that the Samurai will be staying in the bag.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Gateway Samurai Review

Postby JR » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:59 pm

That doesn't sound bad at all. Innova made some fast flippy yet fairly hard fading discs last year and this seems more golfable based on your review. And faster and longer than the Krait which supposedly is a less LSS Wraith and for veganray ain't. There might be a niche in there. But there is a lot of competition because of all the broken in Destroyers and the longer discs. King is already similar in some examples in VIP tall dome and high PLH. That is in some examples more controllable Nuke/Boss.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Gateway Samurai Review

Postby JHern » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 pm

I threw one a couple months back, this description is pretty accurate.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Equipment