Callous / grip question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Callous / grip question

Postby Dusty5150 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 am

I rarely get this callous during casual play, and normally only after a 2-day, 4-round tournament, as I had this weekend. I don't think this is a normal callus and it makes me wonder if I have a grip/release problem. I don't get any noticeable flutter when I throw.

It's on my palm, in between my life lines and the disc rests on top of it (ie. the disc is right into that crease). I have two other normal callouses, one at the very bottom of my index finger that you can make out in the picture, and another on the outside of my index finger up at the last joint.

Any thoughts?
Dusty5150
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tracker

Re: Callous / grip question

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 am

I think it's fairly normal to get a callous there. I used to get one when I was doing a lot of field work and experimenting with grip pressure and timing. Are you gripping fairly hard early in your pull, maybe even before you get to max reachback? Do you understand the flip back drill from the secret technique? Do you feel like you're getting an explosive disc pivot? Posting a picture of your regular grip could be useful too.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Dusty5150 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 am

I've never really paid that much attention to my grip up until this weekend when the nagging callous got me thinking about it. I think when I'm trying to throw far or throwing anhyzers, I grip too hard, too early - anyhzers I know I grip too hard, even before reachback. I do get the flip-back drill but I've never really focused on disc pivot. I've got some field work to do, so I'll definitely try and pay attention to that.
Dusty5150
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tracker

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am

Getting an explosive disc pivot is really tricky but once you get it, it feels like the disc jumps out of your hand, and the sling effect of the disc pivot feels very pronounced. It's very timing based, and gripping too hard or forcing the throw too early will make it tough to do. Tourney pressure can make us all tense up too, and we can over throw the shots and rely on muscle power over mechanics.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 am

I've gotten that same spot from grip pressure experimentation in field practice with lots of throws. I only get that callous when i grip hard early or even before i move.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique