Questioning my grip after an injury

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Questioning my grip after an injury

Postby seehad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 am

About 2 weeks ago, I was doing some field work and was trying a 2 finger grip in an attempt to feel more disc pivot and how it rips out of my hand. I was throwing a wide rim driver (dumb) and sprained the middle finger joint in my hand. When the disc ripped out of my hand it held on to my middle finger and hyper-extended it and probably tore a ligament. I rested it for a few days and tried to play a round at tags but it's still fairly painful. Since then I've had to do a fan grip to prevent any pressure on that middle finger. There were a few drives where it felt like it ripped out of my index finger and I didn't experience the pain. Unfortunately I don't have any consistency getting that rip but once it heals I would like to work on fixing that aspect of my throw.

Edit: Should probably add that I've been using a power grip for drives and fan grip for mid range driving and upshots <300'
seehad
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Questioning my grip after an injury

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am

Yikes! Overextension can lead to all sort of nasties and there are only slowly healing parts in the fingers so i'd let it rest. Tendons take a minimum of 6 months to heal well. I'd take it very easy and not use the two finger and power grips with that finger. But really you should take a longer break and possibly see a doc. Anti inflammatories are probably too late already but cold should help. I would not push through pain i did that with finger pain and it took almost 3 years to get to the point that it ain't bothering me now. I would always warm up everywhere else than in that finger to get the tissues warm and mobile before you start to throw and add power very gradually and start with sneezing power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seehad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 am

I actually had a doctor look at it but didn't do any x-rays. He said it was it was likely a sprain and to do the ice/rest. I did apply a lot of ice on it initially, used some dit da jow and did an epsom salt soak a few times. The range of motion has improved to almost normal but it's definitely tender when pressure is applied.

When I'm back to normal, should the disc be snapping off my middle finger? I try to apply the pressure at the index finger but I think the disc is actually coming off the middle finger. Is that right?
seehad
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:56 am

Middle finger rips happen often and that is why i'd fan that finger. I did the mistake of training despite the pain and it was exactly the tenderness/pain during pinching that was my clue to back off. I did not do that early enough so the problems lasted way too long. Life outside throwing can stress the finger too and that sure was not helping in my case.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seehad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 am

Yeah, I have to avoid strong handshakes too :D
seehad
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

I did not try finger pulling but i can't recommend it. I tries finger tip push ups with 4 then 2 fingers on the ground too early. No joy.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I had that same injury about two years ago. It's about as close to 100% as I think it will be but every once in a while it will flare up.

I kept playing leagues after it happened. I just taped my middle finger to my ring finger.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Technique