Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Postby JHern » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:34 pm

They have bubbles in the rim, just like the later Blizzard runs...

I've only tried the Roadrunner at 148g, but I think their plan is to begin producing Valkyries, Teebirds, Eagles, and other narrower rimmed drivers in this plastic as well. I'm not sure why they chose to produce these molds using Star instead of Champion blend, perhaps they tried the latter but it wasn't working properly.

The StarLite Roadrunner flies much like I expected it to, easy to turn over when throw flat and nose down, although not as super-flippy as I feared. It also holds a great low ceiling hyzer line with good glide when thrown a little nose-up with finesse. I think this disc is a winner, I can't wait to get it to a field for max D, I'll bet it is going to fly very far.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Postby JR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am

For more wind tolerance and the user controlling the angles i think a heavier one would be better. I'm certainly interested in low fade light non flippy discs. Immagonnahafta try one probably mid 150s first. I love my Pro 166 Beast that doesn't flip at full power so there is stiff competition.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm

i would love to see a gazelle in this plastic.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JHern » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:00 pm

money 21 wrote:i would love to see a gazelle in this plastic.

That would be amazing! But I sometimes wonder if Innova is ever going to promote the Gazelle, one of their best discs of all time.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby JHern » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 pm

I posed the question on the PDGA board, Dunipace says they are experimenting with the FD Jackal, something which will probably be very interesting to many on DGR.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby victorb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:01 am

JHern wrote:
I've only tried the Roadrunner at 148g, but I think their plan is to begin producing Valkyries, Teebirds, Eagles, and other narrower rimmed drivers in this plastic as well. I'm not sure why they chose to produce these molds using Star instead of Champion blend, perhaps they tried the latter but it wasn't working properly.

They already make all of the molds you listed in 150 class champion plastic. Blizzard was a compromise to make 150 class discs in premium plastic for molds that couldn't otherwise be made in those weights.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:06 am

victorb wrote:They already make all of the molds you listed in 150 class champion plastic. Blizzard was a compromise to make 150 class discs in premium plastic for molds that couldn't otherwise be made in those weights.

Sounds like they can get down to at least the low 130's with this plastic. Blizzard plastic is such a huge hit, it wouldn't be surprising to see 140g Starlite Teebirds and Valks flying off the shelves if they get made. The durability and consistency of these things is so suspect though :?
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JHern » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:45 pm

victorb wrote:
JHern wrote:

They already make all of the molds you listed in 150 class champion plastic. Blizzard was a compromise to make 150 class discs in premium plastic for molds that couldn't otherwise be made in those weights.

I think you're missing the main idea of Blizzard technology, which is to make discs lightweight without compressing their volume at the same time. By filling space with bubbles, the discs can fill out the entire volume of the mold AND be lightweight. It's rather clever, the more I think about it. Those other non-Blizzard lightweight models are compressed in volume, and fly very differently than the Blizzards.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

How long before Innova tries to start molding up discs where the center is blizzard/starlite and the rim is regular champ/star, to try to acheive an effect like MVP goes for? If feasible, that could really increase the % of weight in the rim relative to the center.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 pm

I would like to see the outside of the rim solid with the inner rim and flight plate having all the bubbles. This would give it more durability and weight out on the edge of the rim and keep it straight longer. I think part of the reason blizzard has more fade is the same reason mvp has less fade.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JHern » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 pm

ForeverBlue232 wrote:How long before Innova tries to start molding up discs where the center is blizzard/starlite and the rim is regular champ/star, to try to acheive an effect like MVP goes for? If feasible, that could really increase the % of weight in the rim relative to the center.

In fact, Innova has been trying to put all the bubbles in the rim, and keep them out of the flight plate. This was their aesthetic judgment. So you can think of Blizzard/Starlite as opposite the effect MVP claims they are trying to achieve. I personally don't think you can change the disc moment of inertia enough to matter, which is why Blizzards still fly further and hold glide longer than any other disc so far...
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby butter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

i was going to pick one of these up the other day, but all the ones at GGGT had an enormous dome, more of a cone actually. are they all going to be like this? the top of the dome had to be close to 2" high
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Wonder if these float in sub 140's? Reason I carry a couple Bliz discs is for risky water holes and crossings. Bliz Destro and Krait. Funny the Krait is more overstable then the Destroyer. Not much just slightly. Both are sub 140.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby JR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Wonder if these float in sub 140's? Reason I carry a couple Bliz discs is for risky water holes and crossings. Bliz Destro and Krait. Funny the Krait is more overstable then the Destroyer. Not much just slightly. Both are sub 140.

That is disconcerting because my Destro 134 is super beefy so the variance of the Destros is huge. I've heard of flippy Destros before so you're not alone.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby AcesAZ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am

JR wrote:
AcesAZ wrote:Wonder if these float in sub 140's? Reason I carry a couple Bliz discs is for risky water holes and crossings. Bliz Destro and Krait. Funny the Krait is more overstable then the Destroyer. Not much just slightly. Both are sub 140.

That is disconcerting because my Destro 134 is super beefy so the variance of the Destros is huge. I've heard of flippy Destros before so you're not alone.

Yeah, I actually had to bend the wings back higher on this one (raise the plh). It would not fade at all sometimes before, even with high throws. Right, right , right right, its gone! XD The Krait came perfect right out of the box though. Very straight and stable.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Next

Return to Equipment